Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
Oops. Sorry. I guess it is the shop you bought your coat at and yes you are standing in front of a bunch of carnival glass along with other goodies. I thought it was your home. I am notoriously bad about going in homes and immediately looking for the antiques. (turning over plates and things.) lol
Goes with my business. :)

Well someday my home will have lots of antique goodies!

Sunny

One Too Many
Thanks for all the comments on the green dress - I'm counting the days until it arrives!

imoldfashioned said:
I had the twin of that dress in high school, except it was yellow. I literally wore it to bits--one of my favorite dresses ever! Hope you love yours as much.
That's awesome! I'm sure I will. :)

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Some gorgeous finds by all! I feel vintage shopping withdrawal,but the pickings are getting slim here and ebay intimidates me.Plus,I love the hunt!

<---My latest purchase.Hat(new favorite) and gloves.
I saw a little cheap shop that was closing in the mall and they had some vintage-inspired shirtdresses marked way down.Under $10 if my memory serves me correctly,so I'm going to try to make it there this week.They'll be perfect for work.

Amelie

A-List Customer
i really adore how you uare dressed in that picture, the whole ensemble is gorgeous! It's like new look with a slightly modern twist, I love it :eusa_clap

and I want the same hat :p

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
About a month ago.They had some surprisingly cute things.Including puffy sleeved wrap blouses and sundresses with a definite 50s inspired feel.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I've said it in another thread but I love those photos of RubyRedLocks too! I've found really nice retro stuff from Sears and JC Penney too but it's scattershot. Who'd have thunk?

My mailman was good to me yesterday, delivering a dress and a jacket I really like. Apologies up front for the slightly blurry photos of me with no makeup and my hair in an alice band--I'm still working on this self timer photography thing--but I wanted to share.

First off a sheer black and white dress that makes me feel like an extra in Babes in Arms or some other Mickey/Judy film. The black strip up the front is actually a pleat and not just an inset of fabric. This dress will look better with a black belt and a full length black slip (that I'll buy as soon as I find a nice one) instead of the white one I'm wearing here. Also, I just grabbed the first pair of heels I laid hands on--I think these are too busy to wear with this dress. But I digress...

dressside.jpg

black40s.jpg

Second, my new favorite jacket. I love the details on this piece--the scallops at the waist, bound button holes, the cloth buttons sewn to look like flowers, the shaped lapels, the color. The sleeves are a bit too long (I've tucked them under in the picture) and it needs a good pressing but I can't find any other fault with this one. I'm thinking it's late 30's/early 40's. If anybody finds a hat that would go with this please give me a shout, I'm on the lookout for one.

jacket.jpg

jacketdetail.jpg

buttondetail.jpg

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I really needed something lovely to lounge in while just relaxing at home, so I ordered up this gorgeous vintage kimono. It is so stunning, even more beautiful in real life. I simply adore kimonos, and I find them very 1920's. What do you ladies think?

Yesterday I also bought a pair of shoes and three dresses. I will post pictures of these later.

Amelie

A-List Customer
yes this kimono is indeed very paul poiret looking, I love it! I also bough a kimono two days ago but the one I bought is one that is classified very casual lol
Still, it's not a yukata :) Can't wait wait to receive it

how do you plan to tie yours? I am still wondering which style of obi I should buy to match mine

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Amelie, how nice to hear from someone else who loves kimonos!

Now that you mention Paul Poiret, do you know Georges Barbier? He is another amazing illustrator:

B1072~Fashion-Illustration-1914-Posters.jpg

134290.jpg

I was looking at the obis Ichiroya is selling and I think they are very long and heavy, and therefore decided that for my kimono I just want to make a long thin piece of fabric for it and use this as a belt, since I will be using it as a kind of houserobe and fussing with an obi would be bothersome.

However, I will most probably also be wearing my kimono as a dress at some occasion, and for this I will use a real belt, I have a mint green belt made of an elastic fabric that looked good when worn with the purple kimono.

Will you be using an obi? I don't know much about them, maybe there are shorter and thinner types as well?

I'd love to see a picture of your kimono once you recieve it. I hope my next kimono will be one with a karako/child figure motif, something like this.

Vix

New in Town
Have you seen some of Felix Mas works? He uses kimono very frequently and has an art deco influence. Felix Mas Gallery He's actually a modern artist from Barcelona. We just picked up copy of one of his pieces on a cruise recently and already have another above the fireplace!

Amelie

A-List Customer
actually the obi are nearly 4meters long so yes I think it is better for you to use something else as a tie for the use you want from it. And green is going to look very lovely with that colour!

As for me I still don't know what I intend to do with my kimono lol I bough it because is wasn't expensive and stil was very pretty, and because I am fighting against myself since two years, just to make sure I don't buy one.. This seamed to be a good reason to buy one :p But still, I'll probably get the hole package (juban, obi, obijime, obiage, tabi and geta) specially an obi because I really want to try the different ways of tying it, they are all so impressive!

I didn't know Georges Barbier, but from what you are showing me, I might love him even more than Paul Poiret!! If only I had the figure to wear those kind of clothes lol

Vix: thanks for sharing this artist! I am going to take a closer look at his work when I have a little more time!! I have to disappear to work now :(

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Ooh, this is off topic, but...
No, I had not heard of him. It looks lovely, very decorative. It is very art nouveau and makes me think of Klimt (especially his excessive use of golden tones) and Mucha. Also another, certainly older, painter I cannot recall now. I can see why you would want those pieces to hang on your walls.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
As usual, everyone has wonderful buys! I haven't bought much recently but here are a few things.

dress.jpg

This is probably from the 1970s but it is so cute and fits perfectly. Great cotton dress for the summer (if we ever see one, the UK is miserable!)

earrings.jpg

1950s lucite and crystal earrings

hairdryer.jpg

Revlon retro style hair dryer in baby blue, £6 from a charity shop brand new in the box.

jewelcraftnecklace.jpg

1950s jewelcraft necklace. I have the matching earrings so I just had to have this.

bowdress.jpg

I love the bow, polka dots and and roses pattern. This dress really needs a slip as it's practically see through!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Oh my, I just love the white dress SarahB!

Yesterday, I found these shoes:

P7260032.JPG

P7260033.JPG

P7260034.JPG

And three dresses, one of them being this one.

P7260028.JPG

P7260029.JPG

P7260038.JPG

Excuse the poor picture quality, my camera is very old.

I think this dress is from the 70's or 80's, but once it's on it definately has a 40's feel. I am very much in doubt about the gatherings on the shoulders, the ones you see in the last picture. Would you ever see something like that on dresses pre 1960?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Dress number two:

P7260002.JPG

P7260004.JPG

The quality of this one is linnen, it's very comfortable for the summer. I think this one is from the 70's as well. What do you think?

Final one:

P7260007.JPG

P7260008.JPG

P7260009.JPG

It's not a sunny yellow, but more of a pale yellow like in the last picture. It looks good with a white belt.

How would you date these dresses? Two of them have rubber bands/elastics in the waist, and that sort of makes me think of the 70's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24