Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
The poster from the Met exhibit is pretty nice too:

ZpoB3413.L.jpg

Amelie

A-List Customer
imoldfashioned said:
If you can get to NY to see the Poiret exhibit at the Met by all means go--it was really spectacular. I'll be in NY on 8/8 and I was planning to go again but the show closes 8/5.

Some photos from the Met site:

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/poiret/king_of_fashion_images.asp
yes this exhibition is really amazing! I would have bought the catalog, but it was extremely pricey! :eek: :(
(I bough two other catalogs and three fashion books instead lol)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi Laura, and welcome!
I would say that all three of your new frocks are 70's or newer. Esp. if they have elastic waists. The first one has the zipper up the back and the leather beaded belt, so that makes me think 70's. As for the smocking on the shoulders, that was quite popular on dresses in the 40's. Lot's of gathers and smocking. The yellow dress looks oldest to me and I couldn't tell if the waist was elastic or not?
They all have that retro feel tho, cute buys!

IOF, great dress and jacket! I love those details too!

Now I must bow to the eBay gods once again! Victoria's Secret had this blouse in their spring cat. months ago, shown in red/white stripe, tied up at midrif in a nautical fashion. I just fell in love it it. But for about $50 with shipping? No way. So I've been searching the bay ever since! Finally got one for $20, including shipping!
http://www2.victoriassecret.com/com...B-203837&page=1&cgname=OSCLOBLOVIL&rfnbr=3204
Nikki

Laura Chase

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Hi Laura, and welcome!
I would say that all three of your new frocks are 70's or newer. Esp. if they have elastic waists. The first one has the zipper up the back and the leather beaded belt, so that makes me think 70's. As for the smocking on the shoulders, that was quite popular on dresses in the 40's. Lot's of gathers and smocking. The yellow dress looks oldest to me and I couldn't tell if the waist was elastic or not?
They all have that retro feel tho, cute buys!

Thank you so much for the info, Ohairas - and for the welcome! I'm very happy to join this forum.

I'm pretty sure they are actually from the 70's og 80's since that is the type of retro/vintage that dominates the street style in Denmark and therefore, that's what the vintage shops carry. But I am happy that they had the retro feel, I definately felt it whilst wearing them, and mostly with the black dress.

The waist of the yellow dress is elastic too, just like with the green/white dress. Do you think that if I were to remove the elastic and sew in the waists of these two dresses, that'd give them more of the 40's look I'm looking for?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
The waist of the yellow dress is elastic too, just like with the green/white dress. Do you think that if I were to remove the elastic and sew in the waists of these two dresses, that'd give them more of the 40's look I'm looking for?

Nah.. I wouldn't go to that trouble. The one has a belt and you could add one to the yellow one. No one would really know. Picture the yellow one with black shoes, belt and hat.. or white... very cute. Or, sometimes if there is enough fabric in the hem allowance you could fashion a belt from that. The black one would be super cute if you could find a silk flower that matches the pattern in the dress and pin that at the waist.
Nikki

Laura Chase

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Nah.. I wouldn't go to that trouble. The one has a belt and you could add one to the yellow one. No one would really know. Picture the yellow one with black shoes, belt and hat.. or white... very cute. Or, sometimes if there is enough fabric in the hem allowance you could fashion a belt from that. The black one would be super cute if you could find a silk flower that matches the pattern in the dress and pin that at the waist.
Nikki

Great ideas! You are so sweet, Nikki. (^.^)

I espeacially loved the idea with the flower at the waist, I think that could change the dress from a day dress to more of an evening dress, and just pep it up in general. And I could also wear the matching flower in my hair if I wanted to change the look a little, which would be nice.

I wore the yellow dress today with a white belt and soes, which looked very nice.

Adele

One of the Regulars
Honey Doll said:
I have that blouse as well. It is terribly cute isn't it? It is very high waisted tho...I wear mine with high waist slacks.

Honey Doll

Indeed! When I saw it, I said to myself, "I simply must get it!". When I wore it, I even got compliments by some of my friends.

You know, I never thought of wearing it with slacks, but now that I'm visualizing it, I can definitely see how cute that would be!

I just bought this rich chocolate colored skirt yesterday, and I want to show it to you all, but I need to get a hold of a digital camera. It sort of reminds me of the '20s. The torture I went through shopping though.

Regardless, for the gals who were asking about the blouse (I believe some asked), it's from the Red Dress Shoppe.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Todays finds. The dress arrievd in the post Friday so I wore it today and I added to my pink pyrex bowl collection. Now I have spares if I break any and a cosmetology text book. In say under the appearance chapter to make sure your seams are straight.

000_1686.jpg

000_1687.jpg

000_1688.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Here's my latest! I just drafted out a pair of these, too :eusa_doh: But I really want to make these an all in one- I found some green rayon at the fabric store but couldn't come up with an excuse to buy it... guess I have one now!
5a25_1.JPG

Nashoba

One Too Many
I bought the most divine little grey wool suit at the flea market yesterday. I'm friends with most of the vintage vendors and they usually put stuff aside for me. This particular suit was shown to me when my friend first bought it (she'd gotten it for herself) and I wanted it then....when I went to see her yesterday she pulled it out said, it doesn't fit me. You should go try it on. I swear it fit like it had been made just for me. Like a GLOVE!! I cringed a little at giving her the $45 she asked for it (the bargain hunter in me surfaced) but I just couldn't resist. And when I took first place in my dance competition at the powwow later that night, I felt a little better. I won more money than I'd spent that day :). I'll post pictures as soon as it's back from the cleaners!

Mojito

One Too Many
I love Paul Poiret! (And Georges Barbier). There was an article recently in one of the Sydney weekend magazines about how the Met exhibition was influencing this season's fashions. Deborah Burke over at Antiquedress.com has one of his dresses for sale in her 1920s category. Some of his 20s creations are marvellous, but I love his pre-WWI dresses most of all.

I've spent most of this pay's budget on textile conservation boxes and materials, but did get a nice cut silk velvet and chiffon flapper dress:

Claudia4.jpg

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
goldwyn girl said:
Todays finds. The dress arrievd in the post Friday so I wore it today and I added to my pink pyrex bowl collection. Now I have spares if I break any and a cosmetology text book. In say under the appearance chapter to make sure your seams are straight.

000_1686.jpg

000_1687.jpg

000_1688.jpg

Your pink Gooseberry bowls are fabulous!!! You know they only made that pattern for a short time about 1959-1960? It's my favorite Pyrex pattern. I have some leftovers and a couple casseroles. That design of bowl is called Princess, I think. Great stuff!!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
RedHotRidingHood--I was antiquing with a friend and her mother once and we saw bowls like those in an antique shop. My friend's mother was aghast since she received that bowl set as a wedding present in 1964 and still uses them and she protested that she wasn't that old. We tried to comfort her by saying they must have been mislabeled "antique", surely they were only "retro".

Lauren: I love that pattern and the bandanas in the hair in the cover artwork

Nashoba: $45 for a vintage suit is still a steal, can't wait to see pictures

Mojito: Gorgeous dress--that green is always "1920's green" in my head. Looks like it is in great condition too, rare with the chiffons

Nashoba

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
Nashoba: $45 for a vintage suit is still a steal, can't wait to see pictures

Oh I know it's a steal. but I had just paid $1 for a slip, $2 for a hat, and $1 for a pair of gloves so in my bargain hunting mode, it seemed like a lot. I was still working through my first $20 and was quite proud of myself. Shelling out the $45 meant less powwow money for that night :) lol
Here are some pic's. Please ignore the background my office is a disaster right now.
The tag in the jacket part says it's a Charles Warner Original
DSCN1769.JPG
DSCN1770.JPG

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Thanks for the comments on my bowls. I did'nt know they were made for only such a short period of time. I have a two sets and a couple of spares, just in case .

Lauren, such a pretty pattern.

Nashoba, that suit is divine, love it.

Mojito, fabulous dress, do you have somewhere lined up to were it to?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24