Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
StaceFace said:
Waiting on this to arrive:

The Complete Book Of Sewing 1943 - Constance Talbot
c9cf_1.JPG

I believe it's the original, not the reprint...I hope.

Hey, I have that book! *grabs it from shelf* You should be able to tell when it arrives. Mine says "Revised 1949" below the copyright date. Either way, I like it. :)

Foofoogal

Banned
Ladyday, I just sold that book. Maybe to even someone on the FL. I loved looking at the photos. I used to sew but no longer even try. I had asked Lauren about the flat patterns in the book as I had never heard the term. She answered somewhere on here with a nice explanation.
When I had the book I kept showing it to my honey and saying, "you see this, look at the artistry in clothing they did back then." Amazing.
He was so not interested. lol
I do hope the trend is to go back to quality sewing like this.

Adele

One of the Regulars
My latest purchase (it is sadly a bit big on me, but positively thinking, I gain the weight to have it fit me properly... plus I think a belt should help in the mean time, at least a bit):

wcl30s28696handpainted01.jpg

On a side note: I cannot even begin to express how great I think it was of you, Vintage Betty, to do plan such a special occasion for your folks. One of the grandest I have ever heard of.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Babydoll said:
Aris Allen mary janes. I hope they fit!

Babydoll, these are so cute! I've been looking at them for a long time as a more affordable alternative to Remix. Please let me know how they are on the dance floor - I need a good pair of repro/retro dance shoes that are comfy!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I'm hoping they arrive in time to take them out for a spin in next weekend for the annual Elvis birthday party show. I wanna see if they can jive! I'll keep you posted on how they dance.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Adele, that dress is just droolworthy! It reminds me of a pattern I have that's from 1937. I made up one this last year. Such a lovely dress! Congrats on the good find!

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Latest find..

From my favorite vintage shop ever, if you are local to portland, or you should look into "the Urban Eccentric"
I picked up this lovely 40s blouse by mode-o-day for 8 bucks!!!!
40smodeoday.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Adele said:
My latest purchase (it is sadly a bit big on me, but positively thinking, I gain the weight to have it fit me properly... plus I think a belt should help in the mean time, at least a bit):

wcl30s28696handpainted01.jpg

I love this! Is it vintage? It looks to be in great condition.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I've posted this in the What Are You Wearing thread too - it's my latest suit purchase. The seller said it was late forties:

Turquoisesuit2.jpg

Turquoisesuit4.jpg

VintageRed

Familiar Face
Great bargains today!

I went vintage/vintage inspired hunting today and found some -great- buys!

I got this wonderful navy blue pea coat with a great A-Line flared skirt for $25 on clearance at Target. It was priced at $37 something, but it was missing a button, so I asked for another 15% discount and they gave it to me! What a steal. Then, when I was trying it on in happiness, I stuck my hand in the pockets and found the baggie of extra buttons saftey pinned inside! Yay! So now I can take it to my tailor and have him stitch on the extra button and good as new. I'm so excited about that coat.

I also went to a new "plus size" vintage shop that just opened in Brooklyn and it was the BEST fun. The clothing quality was fab, the store was spacious, they had a -huge- range of sizes from 12 on up and all sorts of styles and prices were very reasonable. I bought a plain black pencil skirt for $10, a houndstooth black and white check pencil skirt for another $10 and a 3/4" sleeved coral colored sweater for $15.

I'm now just waiting on my purchases from Torrid.com to complete my shopping endeavor this month and finally feel the part that my hairdo yells daily. LOL.

I LOVE shopping! It was so cool to find that a lot of vintage styles fit my curves better than modern clothing does. I have a short waist and the A Line skirts are so flattering. It was a good ego-booster today. I hope you all get a chance to feel that great about yourselves and your body, no matter what the shape is.

I shall have to see about taking some pics for you all tomorrow!

Cheers,

~D.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
VintageRed said:
I also went to a new "plus size" vintage shop that just opened in Brooklyn and it was the BEST fun. The clothing quality was fab, the store was spacious, they had a -huge- range of sizes from 12 on up and all sorts of styles and prices were very reasonable. I bought a plain black pencil skirt for $10, a houndstooth black and white check pencil skirt for another $10 and a 3/4" sleeved coral colored sweater for $15.

Sounds great, and cheap! Where is it in Brooklyn and what's it called? I am not plus sized but might check it out anyway, if you think there might be anything at all I could wear.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
newtovintage said:
My mother has the exact same book. It is truly wonderful. Great detail in my opinion. Her's is the original, but I have seen reprints.
Sarah
I have that book also. I love it.
Here is my latest purchase from Oriental Treasure. I got it in a purple/plum tweed like fabric so I can wear it Fall-early Spring.
10ws4nq.jpg

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
MissHannah said:
I've posted this in the What Are You Wearing thread too - it's my latest suit purchase. The seller said it was late forties:

Turquoisesuit2.jpg

Turquoisesuit4.jpg

That is the bestest most perfectist color for you. :) GREAT suit. And I love what you've done to your hair. Didja get it cut, or just roll it up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR