Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cleery said:
I just won this dress on ebay. It has a generous cut, so I have my fingers crossed that it will look nice on me. Anyway, I got it for a steal!

mydress.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

mydressfabric.jpg

What do you think?

I like it, but I don't love the belt! Probably not original. Is it a 40's rayon?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
rubyredlocks said:
I just ordered this online for Valentine's Day. It was $12.49. I already own it in purple,but I thought the pink would be perfect for the occasion.
417tbP4-eaL__AA400_.jpg

where did you order it from?

Cleery

New in Town
I don't even know if it's really original ( the dress, I mean). Here's what the seller said: "Up for a 5 day auction only is a great dress from the 40s-50s. Availible tag reads lot 48. Made from a simi sheer acetate blend floral print material. Top has a nice collar. Medium thick shoulder pads. 6 black velvet covered button front closure. One metal snap closure. Attached metal and string tag under left pit. This dress appears to have never been worn. Pleated waist with original velvet covered belt. This is a great dress for the full figured gal who doesn't want to trade size for style!"

I love the fabric print though!

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I like it, but I don't love the belt! Probably not original. Is it a 40's rayon?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I got some real steals lately. No one is bidding (or can afford to, including me).

Fall 35/36 Montgomery Wards catalog. $13

IMG_1991.JPG

Singer sewing book 1941 $5

d8f2_1.JPG

YESSSS!!! :D

LD

VintageRed

Familiar Face
I saw that Singer Dressmaking book, and thought about bidding, but then I realized I don't know a darn thing about dressmaking and it would probably be greek to me. lol

Grats Lady Day!

~D.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I just bought these two beauties off Etsy - I think the robe is so glam - it'll look great with my Daniel Green slippers!

1940sVintageRobe.jpg

I thought this suit was very Kim Novak in Vertigo:
1950sSuit2.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Cleery said:
I don't even know if it's really original ( the dress, I mean). Here's what the seller said: "Up for a 5 day auction only is a great dress from the 40s-50s. Availible tag reads lot 48. Made from a simi sheer acetate blend floral print material. Top has a nice collar. Medium thick shoulder pads. 6 black velvet covered button front closure. One metal snap closure. Attached metal and string tag under left pit. This dress appears to have never been worn. Pleated waist with original velvet covered belt. This is a great dress for the full figured gal who doesn't want to trade size for style!"

Is the belt velvet? I can't tell from the photos but it looks like it. Seems strange to me that asummery, semi sheer fabric would be paired with a winter fabric like velvet.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Is the belt velvet? I can't tell from the photos but it looks like it. Seems strange to me that asummery, semi sheer fabric would be paired with a winter fabric like velvet.

I think the buttons and belt are original. I've seen pairings like that before.

Plus, the belt loops are black. If the original belt was another color, the loops would have been made in a color to match so they wouldn't stand out.

If the dress is acetate, I'd also say it's from the 1950s, not 1940s. One warning about acetate, it will melt if you put certain chemicals on it. Never, ever paint your fingernails around the dress, as nail polish remover melts acetate. It also doesn't mix well with oxyclean. I've found both of these out from experience. Also acetate isn't a very breathable fabric, so keep that in mind if you're going to be somewhere that's hot.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
KittyT said:
where did you order it from?

KittyT- I didn't realize that I forgot to mention where I ordered it from. It is from Target in Women's Clearance under Isaac Mizrahi(with shipping it rounds up to $19). All of his things are on clearance since 2008 was his last year.

PS

A-List Customer
deadpandiva said:
I have that book also. I love it.
Here is my latest purchase from Oriental Treasure. I got it in a purple/plum tweed like fabric so I can wear it Fall-early Spring.
10ws4nq.jpg

DPD,
Please do post a picture when it arrives! This dress is on my list of must buys. I was planning on ordering near the end of February in the yellow or aquamarine color. I can't wait to see you in it!

VintageRed

Familiar Face
My latest eBay purchases...

...I got the prettiest set of signed Coro earrings with a screwback.

n1059901857_280460_7962.jpg

And I got a great pair of signed Art Deco style cufflinks for the hubby:

n1059901857_280461_8150.jpg

Black celluloid and Mother of Pearl on one side...

n1059901857_280462_8447.jpg

And divided Mother of Pearl on the opposite side.

He was quite tickled when he found them by his coffee pot!
:D

~Red

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
KittyT, Imoldfashioned & Shoreroadlady - thank you all so much! I was on the lookout for a 1940's robe for ages! Definitely think I am leaning more towards 1940's style of late.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hi there!

Thanks for the welcome! Long story short, lost my old job and my old computer last fall (luckily I had backed up my data this time). But now I've got a new job and a new computer so here I am!

Best,

IOF

Miss 1929 said:
:eek:fftopic: Hey, I'm Old Fashioned, where have you been hiding? I haven't seen a post from you in months! Welcome back...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails