Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
il_fullxfull.122339285.jpg

Seller describes the detail as "black beaded and sequin trim". I was wondering if it were an applique but the close up looks like the vine is sewn beads and the flowers were added. I'll be looking for an earring that mirrors the center flower. Looking at the way the shelf bust is constructed, the "girls" better be prepared to defy gravity! lol

I DID see the little birds on those shoes! If they had a more 50's pointy toe, I think they'd be so cute with this dress. As it is, I think I'm going to look for an open work, strappy type shoe. I found a pair of Bruno Magli's with nice cut work but I don't think the width is right for me, so the search continues.

Thanks everyone for the congrats!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Jennifer Lynn said:
I love eyelet embroidery and lace, so when I found this on Etsy I couldn't resist. Question is, if I want to give it a vintage look, what would I pair it with - a cardigan and matching skirt?

IMG_2183.JPG

And here's the eyelet work up close. It's even on the collar!

IMG_2182.JPG

Jennifer Lynn,

You could do a skirt and cardi. You could also do a capri pant (pedal pusher) and cardi and add 50's inspired accessories like summer sandal and bag. I'm seeing the shirt tucked into black pants with a RED cotton cardi thrown over your shoulders, maybe a sweater clip if you can find one or a fun cherry or strawberry brooch which is very 50's.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
MarcusB said:
Got this new shirt and tie. The tie was five pounds and the shirt was ten!.

DSCF6414.jpg

Well, good for you MarcusB!
Psst...not that we mind, but did you realize you're in the Powder Room? :eek:

Ladies...don't you wish they sold these at your 5 and 10? ;)

MarcusB

Familiar Face
23SkidooWithYou said:
Well, good for you MarcusB!
Psst...not that we mind, but did you realize you're in the Powder Room? :eek:

Ladies...don't you wish they sold these at your 5 and 10? ;)
Oh sh*t!!, i thought i was in another forum!. Best keep out of this one and ban the link from my computer!LOL!.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
As I titled my blog post, "I'm a sucker for an orphan", which includes tattered, frayed old quilts with holes. Saw this a week ago at the thrift and proudly walked away, but when it was still there today, and reduced to $7.50, I weakened and brought it home. It can't be saved as a quilt, but the fabrics are just so darling I couldn't leave it behind.
I don't know eras like some of you, but I reckon it's old enough. Look at all the tropical, Hawaiian themed prints!
4351172499_5a17abcc82_b.jpg

4351171591_8f1dbeb948_b.jpg

4351918788_ac9c817e9d_b.jpg

4351917842_77b61e8628_b.jpg

JennyLou

Practically Family
I have been wanting one of these for while, but am reluctant to get it because I'm plus size and sweaters don't usually look good on me. Oh but I love the way they look on others.
cherry lips said:
The good thing about this being the coldest, longest, and whitest winter here since I was a child is that I can wear cashmere sweaters without sweating on weekends, or this:
SL273710.jpg

Rocket Originals Fairisle sweater <3
I wore it Friday and Saturday (w a bullet bra, green-grey wool skirt, grey suede 40s heels, and Mac's Girl about town) and it was a hit with both the boys and the girls. I don't have a camera, but here's Fleur modelling it!
fairisle.jpg
I thought this was fun too:
Fairisle (some string the words together) is a traditional knitting technique used to create patterns with multiple colours, having bands of a repeated pattern worked in several colours against a plain background. It is named after Fair Isle a tiny island in the north of Scotland, between the Orkney and Shetland islands.
Fairisle knitting gained a considerable popularity when the Prince of Wales (later to become Edward VIII) wore a fairisle "tank top" (also known as sleeveless sweater or pullover) in public in 1921. It was also very popular in knitwear in the 1940’s and 50’s, particularly because this sort of pattern enables you to use up small amounts of wool within the pattern. Traditional Fair Isle patterns have a limited palette of up to five colours.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
ThesFlishThngs said:
As I titled my blog post, "I'm a sucker for an orphan", which includes tattered, frayed old quilts with holes. Saw this a week ago at the thrift and proudly walked away, but when it was still there today, and reduced to $7.50, I weakened and brought it home. It can't be saved as a quilt, but the fabrics are just so darling I couldn't leave it behind.
I don't know eras like some of you, but I reckon it's old enough. Look at all the tropical, Hawaiian themed prints!

Are you sure it can't be saved??? It looks so soft and cozy that I'd just want to snuggle up in it! The Hawaiian theme is too cute especially on a cold day...love the hunky fella in his trunk!

I'm going to have to read your blog! I'm also starting to develop a weakness for orphans and have been thinking about starting a "Save the Chenille" campaign, lol. One teensy flaw need not a cutter make.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
So, are you saying if I come across some sad, battered chenille at a bargain price, I should snatch it up for you? ;)

Btw, I adore that dress you got - it's fabu, and such a fantastic fabric! We'll be seeing a photo of you wearing it, I presume....

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
JennyLou said:
I have been wanting one of these for while, but am reluctant to get it because I'm plus size and sweaters don't usually look good on me. Oh but I love the way they look on others.
I think you should give it a whirl! As long as a sweater fits a girl's measurements, it's flattering (especially if she has a large bust!). This particular sweater is very flattering for the arms, and is longer than the others on the site. I like to think I look like this in it:
Sophiaidea.jpg

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
goldwyn girl said:
Cherry Lips, I like to think I look like that is sweaters too ;) Still waiting to see your photo !
I don't have a camera, and nobody brings theirs when we're partying! Ahh, all the undocumented splendour, gone with the wind! You're a sweetheart for asking though <3 One of these days I'll just have to arrange a photo shoot.

shutterbug

New in Town
I didn't purchase it but my beau got me this beautiful vintage fold-out comb for Valentine's.

Unfortunately, the girl at the shop didn't seem to know much about it.

On the comb it says "Made in Stratton England". If anyone has any ideas on how old it might be, I'd appreciate it!!

comb.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Love that comb! The carved lucite looks 50s to me? Not sure though.

I bought myself something little for V-day. I needed some retail therapy, and got myself this H initial ring!
il_430xN.115839365.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
shutterbug said:
I didn't purchase it but my beau got me this beautiful vintage fold-out comb for Valentine's.

Unfortunately, the girl at the shop didn't seem to know much about it.

On the comb it says "Made in Stratton England". If anyone has any ideas on how old it might be, I'd appreciate it!!

comb.jpg

I am not positive on the age, but Stratton made matching combs for many of its compacts over the years....so keep an eye out on ebay for the matching compact...I saw one with your pattern but in green, just now. So it would only be a matter of time....

Inky

One Too Many
Flowers that die and chocolates that my waistline just don't do it for me on Valentine's Day

During a visit to a local Antique Fair, hubby thought I should have a special bright hat instead.

It's furry and a reddish pink, with two brightly colored feathers and a very cool inside label ("An Original Model by Pepi") One of the Heritage Society ladies even showed me how to wear it properly ;)

4358904799_909591cd0f.jpg

4359652884_5bbc31dcce.jpg

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Shutterbug that comb is lovely!
Inky that hat is so fun, I'd love to see it on.

I bought this dress locally and wore it yesterday for Valentine's Day.
ETA: It might be hard to tell but those are little clocks all over it :)
4357812403_abef739feb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy