Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your RAF collection

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
In addition to my interest in the 56th (8th AAF) and 57th (12th AAF) Fighter Groups, I have a strong interest in the RAF. In addition to books about the Battle of Britain and the North African & Mediterranean campaigns, I have started to collect a few WWII RAF uniforms, wings, and other items. I thought it would be entertaining if we could see some of the RAF items that some of us have collected. Here's my first contribution -- two RAF bullion (dress mess) wings.

RAF_wings.jpg

The individual that I purchased these from was not a 100% certain of their authenticity, but the price was right and they're beautiful examples. (These are either from right before or right after WWII since bullion was in short supply during the war.)

ZF

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Nice Wings

Hello Zemke,

Those are some nice wings that you just posted friend. Hope more Lounge members will post pics of their stuff in 2006. Peter :)

desertweasel

New in Town
RAF Collection

First post!!!!

Hi, great site, let me introduce myself...

I've been collecting RAF/Commonwealth flying gear for around three years now and it's grown into an obsession :rolleyes:

Here's some pics of my collection as it is now, arranged in a timeline of sorts...

Pre-war/Battle of France/Battle of Britain:

Type B helmet with Mk II goggles, Mk IV and IVb goggles also pictured.

B.jpg

Early-Mid War

1st pattern type C helmet with Mk VII goggles (early pattern with sprung leather strap), type E* Oxygen mask

1C.jpg

Mid-Late War

2nd pattern type D helmet (tropical use) with Mk VIII goggles and type G Oxygen mask

D.jpg

Late War

Type E helmet with Mk VIII anti-glare spectacles and type H oxygen mask (dated Feb. '45 so it is a WWII example, these masks were used into the '50s)

E.jpg

Odds 'n Sods

1940 pattern Sidcot flying suit with kapok inner liner (not shown)

40sidcot.jpg

1943 pattern Flying Boots (Escape boots) and Tootal brand scarf

43.jpg

Type D Flying Gauntlets with silk inner liners

Dgloves.jpg

Reproduction Irvin Flying jacket (FOR SALE) by Aeroleather of Scotland, second only to Eastman/HPA for authenticity.

irvin1.jpg

I also have a mint 2nd pattern type C helmet which is unavailable for pics...currently having a wiring loom professionally installed. Just looking for a type D oxygen mask (wool/chamois Battle of Britain vintage) to complete my B helmet display...

Jake

One of the Regulars
Very nice collection...welcome to the Lounge, hope you enjoy it here. Have one on me....Jake:cheers1:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nice collection Desert!

Lovely collection there Desert! (btw, popped your lovely BoB Irvin repro in the classifieds, will get more hits there!)
The B type helmet is lovely. Did you see that an orginal 41 Mae West is up for grabs in the RAF/Commonwealth website? http://www.network54.com/Forum/180748/page-8

Great wee site for those into WW2 RAF! Nigel Carver who is a member here is OC one of the RAF groups.

I have an original Irvin suit jacket (see pic) and have an Eastman 1942 pattern one coming to me in the post soon! (will post pics when it lands!).

The RAF Escape boots are the same as my Uncles (he gave them to me as a teenager) who flew Halifaxes during the war.

Welcome on board Desert, and enjoy the flight!
FightPilotBook.jpg

Irvin-Battle_of_Britain001.jpg

desertweasel

New in Town
Hi Paddy!

Your recent 'Hello' on Air Diggers is the reason I found this site. I've been posting on AD for a while now and it's a superb resource for RAF/RCAF/RAAF/whatever info.

Please post pics of your Eastman when it arrives, I've been trying to save for one for years but keep blowing the stash on something else that comes along (usually for good reasons of course). Beware, brand new Eastmans always make the wearer look slightly inflated ala 'Bib the Michelin Man' until they break in. Then they look beautiful, like an original. As an example, there is a used Eastman on eBay right now that looks amazing, but too small for me, plus a broken sleeve zip:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6603022471&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Also, I hear Eastmans run slightly bigger than size, for example a 40 fits like a 42, like the originals did. Theory was you'd be wearing it over shirt/tunic/sweater and this was all taken into account in the sizing. So today's folks who slip a T-shirt underneath end up swimming in it. Maybe you could confirm this too.

I have a repro green 32 Patt life vest (Sefton) I picked up used and it's beautiful. I need a 41 Patt at some point, Pegasus does an incredible repro.

BTW, forgot to include this one:

Canadian green/khaki RCAF flying helmet, grey felt lined with zippered leather receiver covers. Looking for a set of Mk III goggles (made in Canada and also issued by the RAF) to go with it. An interesting helmet, and being Canadian I jumped at it as it's in mint, unissued condition. Found at a surplus store in Winnipeg. For those interested, Prodger's Helmet book, page 227 ;)

helmet.jpg

helmet2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran