Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your scarves ...

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
A recent charity shop bargain find as usual in the ladies scarves section, a whole £1.49 was needed to rescue this immaculate beauty;
2ia5qgh.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I have to be honest I do travel all over my shire for my job and have a full list of all charity shops so often pop in during my lunch, when we travel anywhere one of the first things we look at is what charity shops there are and it is one of the deciding factors for both of us.....I've had luck in antique shops markets etc mainly in the form of hats, gloves and shaving equipment, flea markets are also good.....Spanish and French car boots can throw up some interesting items on occasion too!

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
I have to be honest I do travel all over my shire for my job and have a full list of all charity shops so often pop in during my lunch, when we travel anywhere one of the first things we look at is what charity shops there are and it is one of the deciding factors for both of us.....I've had luck in antique shops markets etc mainly in the form of hats, gloves and shaving equipment, flea markets are also good.....Spanish and French car boots can throw up some interesting items on occasion too!

I, too, travel all over for my job and spend my lunch breaks in thrift stores. I just wish I had the time to list and sell all the stuff I've saved from oblivion. I'm running out of storage room!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Keep looking! V.V. if you ever find any Tootal scarves, ties or cravats on your travels please let me know. I'm always looking for them, especially the ties from the 'Tootal Croydon' range that were available in North America.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
It's not just myself then V V!

It's a sickness! And I, too, keep a list of the thrifts in my area. The Salvation Army is kind enough to have a sign in each of their stores that shows all their local thrift locations. I keep a photo of it on my phone:

IMG_0553.jpg

Then, of course, there are also all the Goodwill stores, Value World locations, and good ol' St. Vincent de Paul thrifts, too. I don't bother with the smaller privately-owned second-hand stores, they tend to be expensive.

Keep looking! V.V. if you ever find any Tootal scarves, ties or cravats on your travels please let me know. I'm always looking for them, especially the ties from the 'Tootal Croydon' range that were available in North America.

As of yet, I've never come across the Tootal brand here in the USA. When it comes to vintage men's scarves, Cisco was popular here. I do have a few of those. Were Tootal acetate, rayon, or silk? All the Cisco scarves I have are rayon but look just like the Tootals I see posted on this forum.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Tootal scarves were generally rayon as were most of their ties. A few of the ties were cotton and there were even linen ties in the 'Croydon' range.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here's two evening scarves I bought a couple of months ago, first up is a knitted silk one...I can't tell you how beautiful (and heavy) this is!;
hs2ibt.jpg
9quy9u.jpg

1z4crq8.jpg

And just for TT a Tootal with black and white fringed ends, it's also got a very nice weave to the cloth;
1orjue.jpg
2ef2k3l.jpg
vmzxvr.jpg

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Here's two evening scarves I bought a couple of months ago, first up is a knitted silk one...I can't tell you how beautiful (and heavy) this is!;
hs2ibt.jpg
9quy9u.jpg

1z4crq8.jpg

And just for TT a Tootal with black and white fringed ends, it's also got a very nice weave to the cloth;
1orjue.jpg
2ef2k3l.jpg
vmzxvr.jpg

Wow that is a really nice "snazzy" scarf! I do not think we have any nice ones like that here. We do have some very nice pocket squares and some items called a scarf, but they are not really meant to be wrapped around and be worn for warmth at all. I just purchased a silk scarf that will be used as a pocket square for my Husband, it is a picture scene from Japan, has that Japanese art on it, very nice.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Sounds nice, we can still pick up things like the above fairly easy probably down to the aspiring middle classes and our class ridden system....the knitted one I think is around c 1920-30 they went out of style in favour of plain white ones like the Tootal above....the knitted one however is just so tactile you want to sit scrunching it!

DNO

One Too Many
I've been rather remiss in posting images of new scarf rescues but on viewing the striking new finds on this thread I realize I must change my ways.

All my scarves are found at local thrift stores or church rummage sales (primarily the former). They never cost more than $3 Cdn and the best ones are always found, as esteban stated, in the ladies scarf section. I don't travel about much, but there are more than enough thrift stores in the Toronto area to keep me busy, although they've been closing a number of Goodwill stores lately.

I find a lot of scarves by Curry or Forsyth...both Canadian companies. I only have one by Cisco, a few by Brill and a number by Sammy and Tootal.

Here's a few of my most recent discoveries:

IMG_6871_zpscjk9ihaa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_6872_zpsyqueclef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A two sided Tootal.

IMG_6877_zpslsfz0k7s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_6878_zpspmwsztcn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A lovely black and white fringed evening/opera scarf, rather like the one posted by esteban. This one is by Forsyth and judging by the very simple label it would date from the mid-thirties. Forsyth originally produced shirts and began producing scarves around 1933-34.

IMG_6881_zpsyrm6zaxl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

No label on this blue beauty but it's made of heavy rayon and it got a lot of wear after I found it!

IMG_6882_zps1fmcyml5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This fine wool number by Forsyth is my favourite recent find. It's quite long and a bit worse for wear but I love the colours and the pattern.

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Here's two evening scarves I bought a couple of months ago, first up is a knitted silk one...I can't tell you how beautiful (and heavy) this is!

i don't think those heavy knitted scarves are for 'evening' but rather for everyday / sports use. i have a very similar one and wear it a lot on cool summer days:

_1020673_zps441213cb.jpg

The other white is really interesting, though it has quite a feminine look.

definitely a man's scarf.... they were often worn by thugs in the 20s-40s in that roughneck-dandy way that street types often adopt:

Newcastle_mugshot_24_zpsxoufcwie.jpg

Newcastle_mugshot_14_zpsvpzzkevl.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
They were probably worn by all as an aspirational gents item but most definitely intended or accepted for use as an evening scarf at least in the early 1900's....May be they were the Burberry cap of their day?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk