Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your scarves ...

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
DNO: They are both nice scarves but, I have to say, the second one is magnificent. The cream background to the paisley pattern (which is wonderfully bold) works so well. It's unusual to find lighter coloured scarves so that was a good one.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
A couple of scarves that I've found.
URL=ht
dph8.jpg
[/URL]

Is there any way to tell period from the labels?

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I'm never certain about dating Tootal scarves. However, I believe the Grosvenor scarves date from the late sixties, early 1970s. The other one is probably 1950s up to mid 1960s.

DNO

One Too Many
You're absolutely right about the cream paisley scarf, Two Types. I was lucky to find it.

A quick question for you: is Sammy still producing scarves? I found a solid maroon Sammy scarf today (Tricel fabric). It's in excellent shape.

Last edited:

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Nice finds BR. I have a Tootal Grosvenor myself. I find it a bit too stiff for my liking but the pattern looks very late '60's to me. That second Tootal is a beauty.

This is my first Grosvenor and I was disappointed in the feel. It's very stiff and not a pleasure to wear. Agree with you on the second one, plus it's got a great feel.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
This is my first Grosvenor and I was disappointed in the feel. It's very stiff and not a pleasure to wear.

Those scarves can be terrible. Some of the man made ones from a few years earlier were softer. Indeed, in my experience the man-made scarves by Sammy were better than the Tootal ones.

It's best to stick to the Tootal scarves with that earlier label. If you see that, you know it's going to be soft rayon.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Some really nice scarves appearing on here of late so obviously the winters on it's way!, I'd agree with TT's finding on scarves the early Tootal ones are nice and the later ones erm not so nice,
here's a couple I found yesterday in my lunch break at £2 each you couldn't really go wrong?
Here they are together the 'Sammy' one is what I would call a 'standard' size;
2jfyhp0.jpg
and seperate first the Sammy;

123644i.jpg
oa1wf7.jpg

and the 'Welch Margetson'
1255nkh.jpg
14lboh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member