Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your scarves ...

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I know these are women's scarves, but they are vintage 1950s probably. I've used them as ascots in the past. The photos are details.

scarf1_zpsc30a7aa8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

scarf2_zps051b4f3b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Annixter

Practically Family
After spending 3 hours at a flea market today, I found these at the last vender's stall in the bottom of box of napkins. I don't know a thing about vintage scarves, so I'm not sure of the vintage. Maybe 60s on the Wolleeta and 70s/80s on the Pelo, but I'm guessing. I also don't know if I got a good deal, but I negotiated down to $12 a piece. They are in like-new condition. I'm happy.

Wool-acetate blend, Germany.

Wool-silk blend, Italy

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
I like that Italian white scarf, Annixter. Good find.

I've been having some good luck lately.

My first two polka dot scarves...they just don't seem very common here. This one is dark brown rayon with no label.

This one is brown with a bit more red in it. It's silk and made by a company called Cisco.

This is a lovely old rayon scarf by Currie:

A very nice Merino wool item with no labels:

And finally I found this one yesterday. It is one spectacular rayon scarf. It's 19 inches wide and 54 inches long...huge. It's already folded in half vertically in this photo!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
DNO: The Currie is a beauty. And it's great to find polka dot scarves. Here in the UK the old polka dot scarves are popular and sell for silly prices.

Annixter:I think I might have that same italian scarf, but with a different label. They are both very nice scarves. In the UK there has been an enormous influx of German and Italian scarves onto the vintage market in the last couple of years. I would guess they date to the late fities or early 1960s. That is an assumption mainly based on comparative british scarves of the period. Of course they might be later. Maybe one of our German members might have a clearer idea.

Annixter

Practically Family
Annixter:I think I might have that same italian scarf, but with a different label. They are both very nice scarves. In the UK there has been an enormous influx of German and Italian scarves onto the vintage market in the last couple of years. I would guess they date to the late fities or early 1960s. That is an assumption mainly based on comparative british scarves of the period. Of course they might be later. Maybe one of our German members might have a clearer idea.

Thanks for the input. I got the feeling that the German scarf could be 50s/60s, but the Italian label looks very modern; however, the scarf design looks older, so you may very well be correct that it's from the 50s/60s as well. Hopefully some German and Italian members can give their input, out of my curiosity.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Found this 1950's??? Tootal scarf today.....I only bought it because I went looking very quickly for a wool/acrylic scarf as it was very cold up in the Peak District today, 2nd charity shop and there it was hung up amongst the ladies scarves at a pound so obviously I bought this rather than a modern wool mix thing!
6t2ypx.jpg
2iqmhif.jpg

DNO

One Too Many
Nice one, Stefano. I find most of my scarves at thrift shops, usually in the women's scarf section. It would seem that the fine people doing the sorting and pricing in these shops have decided that if it isn't wool and plaid, it must be a women's scarf! I rarely find a nice vintage men's scarf in the men's area.

I've just been going through your blog. Very interesting stuff.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Cheers TT, it's not been off my neck apart from in bed last night, it's got a nice clean non scratchy feel that early rayon has and it's kept the Peak District chill off admirably.....I don't think it's had much wear the tassles and the cloth itself feel and look very fresh indeed.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Cheers DNO glad you've found some bits of interest on the blog, as you've gathered I am no expert but do love to share my interests and more importantly finds with others, I don't do snobbery and try to write for everyman often in dialect;
I also love to learn and the FL with all it's resident experts is a fantastic place, folk like TT for all his Tootal work and our other experts in hats , suits, shoes (you chaps know who you are) etc deserve a real big up as far as I am concerned they are recording and collating social/clothing history for the long-term on the net for current and future generations.

Re the scarf at first I felt cagey looking around the women's section but now go straight to their scarf section and rifle through them sadly more often than not finding "nowt" but occasionally a beautiful piece of cloth shows it's face again after being hidden away for years!

DNO

One Too Many
D'Oh! I was just going through this thread to have another look at all the great scarves and discovered that most of my own photos have been replaced by ugly white boxes!

Must've happened when I decided to organize my photobucket photos into separate folders. Serves me right for trying to get organized! The photos are still in photobucket, just not in this thread anymore. Sorry!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
About women's scarves: a good amount are gender-neutral, IMO. Growing up in a household which included three women, clotheshorrses all, I would often raid their closets for scarves and handkerchiefs.

For instance, there was a fashion trend in the 60s where women used small silk hankies to put up their hair. Well, when that fad waned I was gifted with dozens of 'pocket squares' ;) from the likes of Hermes, Lanvin, Balenciagan, etc....that were quite suitable for a gent's wardrobe.

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
Hunt49, dude I really like the Chinese looking silk scarves on guys...it's so classy..:)

A.C. Lyles , I bet you have a lot of good stories to tell and a lucky woman to share them with,,I grew up with all boys,, blahhh,,:)

I wear my scarves as soon as the temps get under 65 LOL! always have, always will,,,:)

DNO

One Too Many
A couple of nice finds lately.

A striking rayon Forsyth:

And a very nice cream coloured scarf. It's not labeled but it's made of that lovely, heavy, soft rayon that tends to indicate a nice older scarf. It's the only cream coloured one I have...so far!

Found both of these on the same day in different thrift shops. The second one was spotted at the Sally Ann. I've been wearing it for the past couple of days.

Annixter

Practically Family
Both nice, DNO. It's scarf weather here on the San Francisco Peninsula. Last night it was 38F (3C) and today it has been at 42F (6C) all day. It's not cold in comparison to other regions, but it's that time of the year around here when I wear overcoats, scarves, and gloves while I have the chance.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points