Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your scarves ...

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the fallen off label says it all...

_1020384_zps13a1d1af.jpg

01_zpse054be5d.jpeg

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just scored one made from WW2 parachute silk (white) will post pics when it arrives :)

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Ok a couple from a local antique fair yesterday....not my usual haunt to be honest but whilst there was far too much tempting stuff such as pocket watches cufflinks etc there was little in the way of clothing and accessories however I did score these fairly early? Sammy and Tootal scarves and a couple of pocket squares that I'll post later.
both together
ig93j6.jpg

the labels;
25rgfly.jpg

the Sammy one is reversible with a gold side;
2m2h06o.jpg

Both are Rayon however the Sammy has a very silky finish whereas the Tootal is more like cotton.....the middle picture is closest colour wise though the Sammy tassels have a definite blue tinge to them, they are both very fresh too though the pictures make them look a bit washed out.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
All I can say is "sometime after 1928":

291,473. Tootal Broadhurst Lee, Co., Ltd., Foulds, R. P., Marsh, J. T., Wood, F. C., Boffey, H., and Tankard, J. Dec. 1, 1926. Yarns, treating with liquids.-Textile materials such as yarns and fabrics of cotton, silk, ramie, jute, hemp, artificial silk, acetyl silk, and linen are rendered less susceptible to creasing or crushing while retaining their original suppleness by impregnating them with the components of a synthetic resin and effecting the condensation within the material. In an example, a plain cotton fabric, preferably mercerized with or without tension, is impregnated with a mixture of formaldehyde, urea, boric acid, and water. It is then squeezed and dried at 130 C., the excess reagents being removed by a soap boil. The intermediate resin may be employed for impregnating the fabric.; Alkaline catalysts such as potassium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, &c. may be used instead of boric acid. Alkaline catalysts may be employed for the intermediate condensation product, an acid catalyst being employed to effect the final condensation. When phenol-formaldehyde resin is employed, alkaline catalysts may be employed for effecting the intermediate and final condensations, and reducing-agents such as formaldehyde sulphoxylate compounds may be used to prevent development of colour on drying and/or exposure to air and light. In another example, a mixture of acetonephenol condensation product (dihydroxydiphenyl dimethyl methane) and formaldehyde are condensed in the presence of caustic potash by boiling in a reflux condenser. The mixture is then cooled and diluted, for example with formaldehyde and water, and employed for impregnating the fabric.; After passing the fabric through rollers to remove the surface liquor, it is heated to 160-180 C. to complete the treatment. Specifications 258,357, and 291,474, [Class 42 (i), Fabrics, Finishing &c.], are referred to.

&

the other one is 1928: More recently, the Tootal Broadhurst Company (British Patents :No. 291,473, 291,474 and 304,900) improved the method of Guntherby performing a preliminary mercerizing oi the fabric, and treating the product in a boiling soap bath after polymerization in order to facilitate, on the one hand, the penetration of the resin in the fibre and, on the other hand, the elimination of the excess of phenol and of the soluble condensation products.

I would guess the scarf is from the 1930s/40s.

DNO

One Too Many
After a long drought I finally found two new/old scarves today. The first one came from a house contents sale. There's no label but it's that nice old heavy rayon.

And I found this Sammy at a thrift store later on. It's reversible...red on the reverse. Sixties vintage perhaps?

DNO

One Too Many
Thanks, esteban. The label on the Sammy is the same as your reversible tan one. Sixties? I was glad to find a Sammy in rayon rather than the rather stiff, shiny 'tricel' fabric that they used later.

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
here's a couple of Tootal scaves I aquired recently for a song, both are in really good condition though the blue one appears a little washed due to lighting;

161nc0m.jpg

33wb9s5.jpg
10h80gl.jpg

Both are in the nice earlier rayon fabric rather than the later plasticky stuff, I guess the blue one is earlier?

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
This handsome scarf by Cisco in rayon and acetate was one of today's finds. I've never come across an ivory one before.

P1080508.JPG P1080509.JPG

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21