Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

I have a similar pair to your first one but mine is black on black leather and mesh.
I would need to look at the rest of them that I have stored over my mother's place to see if I have a similar one to the other pair. If I remember right, I think I have a pair but they are just plain tan leather.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
This next pair is in excellent condition, the leather is great. Size 11.5, again too small for me though only slightly. Love the split toe styling.

1950sbrown001.jpg

Looks like the pair I have:

DSC02586.jpg

DSC02585.jpg

The Shooman

Practically Family
The only hand stitched bespoke shoo you will probably ever see made in Australia. lt is made by an old timer at home who is considered the states best cordwainer in the last 60 years. No man in Victoria has had such a shoo made to such a level in at least the last 60 years, probably much longer. Possibly Australia's best shoemaker. This shoo has made history, and l have made history by owning it and organising to have it made. lt took 2 years to organise and about 30 hours of discussions for it to happenm, and took a search of many years to find the man. John worked for an entire week on this shoo, he has done nothing else...at least 40 hours of work here.

lt's the first shoo he has stitched in close to 60 years. He used all his old tools he used as a teenager.

The shoo still isn't finished yet. lt needs heels, finishing and wheeling along the welt.
Johnbespokeshoo4.jpg

Johnbespokeshoo3.jpg

John:
JohnShoo7.jpg

Last edited:

The Shooman

Practically Family
he's the best shoemaker in the state but hasn't made a shoe in 60 years ?
that is quite a reputation !

He has made machine constructed shoes, but not an entirely handmade shoe.

He always got the top jobs from the factories (the hardest jobs that required hand sewing and shoes requiring high artistry) over the years and still does. He is the first choice and the only choice for the hardest jobs. There were another two fellows who were good also, but besides from that, no-one could match them in the state for the last 60 years at least.

l've done my homewpork over the years and have spoken to many of the old makers and many people who knew all the old top makers, the last maker and all the shops who employed the top makers, so l do know what l am talking about.

Last edited:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
The only hand stitched bespoke shoo you will probably ever see made in Australia. lt is made by an old timer at home who is considered the states best cordwainer in the last 60 years. No man in Victoria has had such a shoo made to such a level in at least the last 60 years, probably much longer. Possibly Australia's best shoemaker. This shoo has made history, and l have made history by owning it and organising to have it made. lt took 2 years to organise and about 30 hours of discussions for it to happenm, and took a search of many years to find the man. John worked for an entire week on this shoo, he has done nothing else...at least 40 hours of work here.

lt's the first shoo he has stitched in close to 60 years. He used all his old tools he used as a teenager.

The shoo still isn't finished yet. lt needs heels, finishing and wheeling along the welt.
Johnbespokeshoo4.jpg

Johnbespokeshoo3.jpg

John:
JohnShoo7.jpg

Looks like they are coming along beautifully! I'm curious, how much will this run you?

Mercer

One of the Regulars
I guess I might as well post a couple shoe pics too. Rather than show my entire shoe collection, I'm gonna merely show a couple notable pairs I wore last week.

In the first pic I'm wearing vintage LL Bean bluchers -- the kind still made in the USA:

IMG_0367.jpg

And in this one I'm wearing vintage Sebago Campsides -- a similar looking vintage shoe also made in the USA:

071.jpg

The above shoes were especially popular in the 1980s; it's too bad they later disappeared (although LL Bean still makes the blucher today). Note also the argyle socks I'm wearing -- back in the 80s guys often wore argyles or at least dark solid-color socks with their bluchers/Campsides regardless of whether they were wearing jeans or khakis. I got both pairs of eBay, and they have become some of my favorite footwear. What I really love to do is use them as a conversation piece; if I'm talking to someone who was a teenager in the 1980s, and I'm wearing them, I'll say, "Hey, remember these shoes?" and often they'll be like, "Oh wow, I sure do!"

The Shooman

Practically Family
Looks like they are coming along beautifully! I'm curious, how much will this run you?

John would never want me talking about bespoke shoes and money. Besides...mentioning the prices of bespoke is always a big no no for very good reasons...the advertised price v's the actual price can be quite different, it depends on the relationship one has with the maker. lf people start mentioning bespoke prices it has the potential to cause alot of trouble for all concerned.

John said he should have never agreed to make a handmade shoe for me because it was very very hard work and really took it out of him. Heck...even l had aching arms and shoulders for days because l was trying to pull the last out of the shoes, how must old John feel....not too good from what he tells me. The poor man's back, arms and legs have ached for weeks from doing this.

l am going to try and get him to make another pair straight after this is finished, but talking John into making one last pair is going to be a major challenge. l don't want John to go through such pain making another shoe, but this is very very important for many many reasons.

flyfishark

Practically Family
Here are some skins we just picked up. First is a Horned Lizard Florsheim--certified by the local university. Size 9

_DSC0364.jpg
[/IMG]

This one is elephant trunk--again, certified by the university. It was made in England for Stuart McGuire. It is shoe number 180, last 410

_DSC0204-1.jpg
[/IMG]

The next two, in one photo, are FootJoy all Lizard Classics. One 9, the other 11

_DSC0216-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Isshi has a sensational pair of hornbacks which he uses to scare children...the eyes get you everywhere...:eeek:

I must say fly those Florsheims take 50s shoes to another level. I have never seen the reptile 'vamped' with patent leather. Amazing find.

These Italian Bettanin and Venturi hand stitched Norvegese masterpieces should be arriving Down Under soon from the USA a little more tan than ivory in complexion.

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
New pair of beater shoes. One of those styles that's a bit dull and has been around forever. I probably see four or five pairs of these at the thrift shop every time I go. Canadian Navy issue- this pair is from 1986. The '70s and '80s pairs seem to have pretty good leather and construction- once they switched to rubber soles in the '90s, the overall quality seems to have taken a nosedive.

The biggest problem with these is weird sizing- all are marked an F width, and most are marked as fitting a size and a half "10-10.5". But the actual widths seem to be all over the place, as does the sizing itself, usually running a size or a size and a half larger than what they are marked. The other problem with these, and you can see it on this pair, is shoe polish. These shoes were really made to last, and as such, they have 20+ years of built up navy spit polish built up on them (bottoms of the soles and all). They look a bit dry in the photos, but are actually extremely supple. Also, excuse the salt spatter, like I say- "beater" shoes. Halifax's constant rain, snow and over-salting is hell on shoes, and since these are a dime a dozen and durable, they're getting worn when I can't wait my nicer, older shoes.

IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
New pair of beater shoes. One of those styles that's a bit dull and has been around forever. I probably see four or five pairs of these at the thrift shop every time I go. Canadian Navy issue- this pair is from 1986. The '70s and '80s pairs seem to have pretty good leather and construction- once they switched to rubber soles in the '90s, the overall quality seems to have taken a nosedive.

The biggest problem with these is weird sizing- all are marked an F width, and most are marked as fitting a size and a half "10-10.5". But the actual widths seem to be all over the place, as does the sizing itself, usually running a size or a size and a half larger than what they are marked. The other problem with these, and you can see it on this pair, is shoe polish. These shoes were really made to last, and as such, they have 20+ years of built up navy spit polish built up on them (bottoms of the soles and all). They look a bit dry in the photos, but are actually extremely supple. Also, excuse the salt spatter, like I say- "beater" shoes. Halifax's constant rain, snow and over-salting is hell on shoes, and since these are a dime a dozen and durable, they're getting worn when I can't wait my nicer, older shoes.

Some countries are just not made for people with regular nice shoes and need tuff muthas to withstand the elements. Canada comes to mind.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family

IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

give me 15 to 20 minutes with them and I will have the DI smiling....or maybe the Admiral....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo