Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

flyfishark

Practically Family
For Issh...the soles of the Nunn Bush specs
_DSC0109-1.jpg
[/IMG]

flyfishark

Practically Family
This is a pair of handmade shoes from Havana in pre-Castro Cuba. They have a stamp--almost like a tax stamp--on the insole. Other than that, there are no markings. They look kind of English to me. Is anyone familiar with 50s handmade Cuban shoes?
_DSC0121-1.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0124-1.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0123-1.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0122-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
These are not vintage but have that "vintage" look. They are a pair of Rockport True-walks that I baught in dark tan and then dyed them to get that two tone spectator look. Supper confy, however my wife thinks I'm crazy for buying a pair of nice shoes knowing I'm going to change the color as soon as I get home. In my defense I say "But Honey, they don't make them way I have to have them". Makes her more concerned about my sanity :).

394583bf.jpg

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Slightly off-topic, but what's interesting to me is that the heels on older dress shoes are either all-rubber or all-leather. Is the combination heel a more recent invention? When did it start to appear?

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I thought so, but Nunn Bush told me they were late 30s and sent a link to an ad for them that they had in life magazine for 1939, and said they were pre-war, even with the soles.

Many vintage styles remain virtually unchanged from the top or side. The shapes changed throughout different eras, however. Your NOS Weyenberg's for instance. That style LOOKED unchanged from the 30's thru the early 50's and was included in each year's catalog. They were actually quite different through the years.

Nunn Bush incorrectly ID'd them. Same as Florsheim has been consistently unable to correctly ID certain vintage styles I have asked them about. They DO give an answer, and usually with authority, but they just don't really know. Mostly they do the same as many sellers... try to match uppers styles with vintage ads.

Remember, All of these US shoe companies (Foot Joy, Nunn Bush, Florsheim, Bostonian, etc) that are still in existence (with the exception of AE & Alden) haven't actually MADE any shoes in decades. All outsourced. They really know nothing about manufacturing shoes, nor do they know about vintage shoes). Bad for business to admit that, I suppose.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Picked up these two pairs today.

Very dark blue, almost black alligator(?) and suede spectators, 'Roblee' brand. These are in rough shape, the leather is really dry. They'll be getting some leather conditioner over the next few days. Size 8.5, way too small for me.

blackspectators001.jpg

blackspectators002.jpg

blackspectators003.jpg

This next pair is in excellent condition, the leather is great. Size 11.5, again too small for me though only slightly. Love the split toe styling.

1950sbrown001.jpg

1950sbrown002.jpg

1950sbrown003.jpg

1950sbrown004.jpg

Original price tag? $42 seems like a lot for shoes back then.
1950sbrown005.jpg

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Picked up these two pairs today.

Very dark blue, almost black alligator(?) and suede spectators, 'Roblee' brand. These are in rough shape, the leather is really dry. They'll be getting some leather conditioner over the next few days. Size 8.5, way too small for me.

blackspectators001.jpg

blackspectators002.jpg

blackspectators003.jpg

This next pair is in excellent condition, the leather is great. Size 11.5, again too small for me though only slightly. Love the split toe styling.

1950sbrown001.jpg

1950sbrown002.jpg

1950sbrown003.jpg

1950sbrown004.jpg

Original price tag? $42 seems like a lot for shoes back then.
1950sbrown005.jpg

THANKS for posting some real vintage shoes! Some of the other shoe threads got a bit off track (with modern, glued together, China & India factory-made monstrosities. THESE are great vintage finds!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk