Show us your SHOES !!!

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Veronica Parra, Sep 29, 2005.

1. These damned J&S Aristocraft Hand-Made spades never pop up in my size. Never! The pair above sold for less than they should be worth, IMO.

2. Isshinryu101

Isshinryu101 One Too Many

Very cool & good price. However, sadly, they're not the "original" ones from 30's & 40's. These are the re-makes from the 60's & 70's (I think these are the right years). Excellent shoes, but not the quality of the older ones.

3. SteveAS

SteveAS Practically Family

Wouldn't these measurements (from the listing) put them closer to size 9 than 10?

Length measured along outside bottom: 11 7/8"
    Width measured from point to point of the spade sole: 4 11/16"

4. On newer shoes, I trust the labeled size on the lining more than I trust the seller's measurements. On older (pre 1970s) shoes, I lean more toward the measurements.

5. Isshinryu101

This is good advice. On a side note, UNLESS you have experience with a particular last shape, outside measurements can almost be tossed out. depending on the welt and shape, variations are huge for shoes that fit the same size foot.

6. flyfishark

flyfishark Practically Family

7 eyelet Weyenberg Massagics.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

7. These are wonderful!!!

8. flyfishark

Thanks, Marc. I've been fortunate in coming across a lot of 9s lately

9. Isshinryu101

What Irony, Fly.

I just got the same exact shoes, but in a blucher... this afternoon! It's raining NOS Weyenberg's it would seem. Don't you love that sole treatment?

10. flyfishark

I'm scratching for mine...you have them falling like snow in the Rockies!!

11. Isshinryu101

No way, my friend! You've been pulling 'em in the boat rapid fire style. Must be that special lure you use, Fly.

12. bl@ster

bl@ster One of the Regulars

Yep. Toebox shape is very important -- ie. how much "useable space" there is.

13. Isshinryu101

well said

14. LoveMyHats2

LoveMyHats2 I'll Lock Up

Those boots are "art", well made and a great color. All one would need is a black horse and a bottle of bubbly!

15. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

Cheap! I paid over USD500 for mine NOS years ago which was like AUD700 at the time and they have been worth it. If they had been Ds I suspect they would have been around USD500. But when they were sold new in the 1990s they were USD1000!

16. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

I know of the post 40s McCafees which were largely made by Churchs (I have a pair - one of my faves) but I had no idea McAfee went back to the 20s.

17. Oh yes. In fact, "Alexander & Oviatt" was the exclusive U.S. importer/seller of McAfee shoes and boots from 1920 to the end of the decade. James Oviatt introduced McAfee footwear to the American market, and "Oviatt's" continued selling McAfee shoes right up to the store's closure in 1967.

18. Warbaby

Warbaby One Too Many

I found these Bostonians in the thrift shop yesterday for $4.99. Made in Italy and in hardly worn condition - all they needed was a good polishing. I like the combination of smooth and pebble grain leather - almost like black-on-black spectators. The pebbble grain leather is very soft and flexible, making them super comfortable for walking.

[​IMG]

BTW - Where would this style fall on the scale of casual to dressy?

19. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Open lacing (found on Derbys/bluchers) is considered more casual than the closed lacing (found on Oxfords/Balmorals.) That said, the color and styling would place them on the upper end of the dressiness scale.

20. Isshinryu101

2-toning can be done with texture as well as with color, when done well with textures, the results are fantastic.