Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
These were thrift priced at $4 and I was all set to 'splurge' but then at checkout I learned that it was "Half Price Day". :) They fit perfectly.

DSC_0021-1.jpg

DSC_0023-1.jpg

DSC_0011-3.jpg

DSC_0015-2.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Great find those AE shoes. Wear them well.

I think the narrow waste is just something you see less in US shoes nowadays because the companies that were left were the ones that stuck with the traditional gunboat as their mainstay. Gunboats regularly having wide wastes. Just a thought.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Great score. Any decent pair of McAllisters brings around USD100 on eBay. They are one of the most prized models in burgundy particualrly...and calf leather...I had some in cobbler/corrected grain so I tossed them...hated the fake shine...[huh] :) At thta price I would have them recrafted or bang a topy on top.

cptjeff

Practically Family
cookie said:
Great score. Any decent pair of McAllisters brings around USD100 on eBay. They are one of the most prized models in burgundy particualrly...and calf leather...I had some in cobbler/corrected grain so I tossed them...hated the fake shine...[huh] :) At thta price I would have them recrafted or bang a topy on top.

Doesn't look like they even need it. At most, a new sole and polishing.

And I don't like topys. It's like plastic covers on furniture. Yeah, it protects it, but in doing so defeats the point of having nicer stuff. Makes something nice look ugly and less comfortable.

Nice find Gene.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
cptjeff said:
And I don't like topys. Yeah, it protects it, but in doing so defeats the point of having nicer stuff. Makes something nice look ugly and less comfortable.
And how do you feel about wearing a trench coat.........................:rolleyes:

cptjeff

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
And how do you feel about wearing a trench coat.........................:rolleyes:
If a trenchcoat was a giant sheet of rubber that permanently adhered to a suit, I would feel the same way. It's not. A plastic hat cover worn permanently on your hat would be a better analogy.

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
HarpPlayerGene said:
These were thrift priced at $4 and I was all set to 'splurge' but then at checkout I learned that it was "Half Price Day". :) They fit perfectly.

Very nice McAllisters Gene! I have a pair burgundy ones just like those, only wider, and I paid a lot more for them.

Recently, I bought a new pair of black McAllisters. The insole is synthetic and it looks like the leather was dipped in black dye. Unlike previous black McAllisters, you can barely make out the perforations from a short distance. Avoid the new ones guys, AE really cheapened a once great shoe.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the comments, guys. Sharing these kinds of scores here on the Lounge increases the enjoyment three-fold! :)

Yeah, I don't feel the need to change anything about those McAllisters. The soles are fine too - scuffed, of course, but not the least bit thinned. These will live among a rotation of quite a number of dress shoes so no one pair gets very much mileage. Plus, I'm one of the weirdos out there who actually enjoys cleaning and shining his shoes when they need it.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
cptjeff said:
And I don't like topys. It's like plastic covers on furniture. Yeah, it protects it, but in doing so defeats the point of having nicer stuff. Makes something nice look ugly and less comfortable.

You go ahead and think that but when you twist an ankle or worse you will join the Topy brigade...the Sydney granite pavers are shockers when it rains.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
These will live among a rotation of quite a number of dress shoes so no one pair gets very much mileage. Plus, I'm one of the weirdos out there who actually enjoys cleaning and shining his shoes when they need it.

When not wearing his vast dress shoes "rotation"... he "enjoys cleaning and shining his shoes when they need it".

Remind me to cancel that Florida holiday booking..... :eek: :( :eek:

cptjeff

Practically Family
cookie said:
You go ahead and think that but when you twist an ankle or worse you will join the Topy brigade...the Sydney granite pavers are shockers when it rains.

Hence a pair of rubber sole shoes for a rainy day, or a rubber heel. Or one of those soles with a rubber ball of the foot and heel, with leather on the rest.

I'm not against rubber on shoes. But when it's a stick on pad it defeats the point of having the leather sole in the first place.

And all that aside, in the ice and snow up here I have slipped in sneakers with rubber soles. And in hiking boots. The closest I have ever come to a really bad fall from a slip was with rubber soles, not leather.

But I will give you that putting them on so you have rain shoes is much more valid then the "I don't want to scratch the leather" argument that so many make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats