Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Simply amazing!

Got these beauties this week. My Big Johnny Lobb. Still need some break in time to soften up. I never liked the pictures of them online, but when l saw them in real life l was enamoured with their beauty and ability to transform my foot into something quite elegant.

The Lobb Lopez are classics. Hand stitched aprons on the elegant shape make those timeless. Lovely shoes sir.

Cheers, Eric -

The Shooman

Practically Family
Thanks Eric. I never knew how good they were until l first tried them on. They have a style unequalled by any loafers l know of. It is the combination of everything that makes it a perfect shoe. I feel lucky to own it.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Eric. I never knew how good they were until l first tried them on. They have a style unequalled by any loafers l know of. It is the combination of everything that makes it a perfect shoe. I feel lucky to own it.

I have looked at them several times and love the formal/casual appeal.

This morning I had an errand to the bank. "The Man" has to have his pay regardless of the pandemic. My 30's Bostonian's "Built With The Flexmore Process" got the call.
i-VXtp8Dh-M.jpg

i-QGJZbHw-M.jpg

i-4jW8tVk-M.jpg

i-XxnNSzS-M.jpg

i-KHb9Rb3-M.jpg

i-MkSNn43-M.jpg

i-tjp3v96-M.jpg

i-4mmj6TB-M.jpg

5713ED0F-663D-447C-A88D-4692B33C25C3-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Flanderian

Practically Family
Some truly remarkable shoes in this thread!

SBG's vintage shoes that are exquisite within the context of their own aesthetic, 90 years old, yet look as if they just popped out of the box have convinced me SBG must possess a time machine. And daizawaguy's Kiyo bespoke, while contemporary, are too beautiful to ignore the delicacy and precision that have come to characterize Japan shoes.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My wife got me a gift card for Dr. Martens this Christmas. So I have finally upgraded. My last pair of 1461’s (the classic shoes) made in China lasted me four years. This pair I bought February 2011 - Taiwan made. Here they are today all cleaned up.
6E091274-4473-480A-85DC-19DD6C25AE79.jpeg

39B3E5F8-D565-40AA-A782-9B9218528D40.jpeg

They have been in solid rotation with two-three other boots for the last six years. I have been working an office environment as well. They are not done yet but it’s always nice to freshen up the flow. Here are my brand new ones. Made in China again
66608E80-9D67-42ED-A188-52FA1AF65804.jpeg

534F8560-2AB5-4C53-8865-E461AB31B691.jpeg

Had to get the yellow laces when I saw them. This pair is much better fitting then the white ones. I don’t remember them being this comfortable right out the box. I will take better care of the uppers then I did with the shoes. The side wall blew out in the leather. I used kiwi polish and I think I should have been using a mink oil instead. I had to try on a few pair though. I was really keen on the ox blood ones but they didn’t fit as nice as these. Very minor differences in fit. Let’s see how long these last me.
Johnny
I could not see a dedicated Dr. Marten thread, but if this post should be moved to a better spot, go for it.

The Shooman

Practically Family
I have never seen a pair of Lloyd made like those ones. Normally Lloyd are poor quality. Please tell us more about them.

Got a summer pair shoes. Vass are some of my favourite shoes, they provide a proper footwear experience that few shoes do. They are not as beautiful as the other shoes, but sometimes a man needs something different.
Vass - hatched 1.jpg Vass - hatched 2.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I have never seen a pair of Lloyd made like those ones. Normally Lloyd are poor quality. Please tell us more about them.

Got a summer pair shoes. Vass are some of my favourite shoes, they provide a proper footwear experience that few shoes do. They are not as beautiful as the other shoes, but sometimes a man needs something different.
View attachment 302387 View attachment 302388

I think they have a distinct beauty. Perhaps not as sculpted. They do appear like a comfy pair of braided shoes. The London Braided Vass shoes I do like.

This past pandemic summer, I was well meaning to pick-up some Vass shoes from the hugely discounted Vass shoes sold directly from the Vass on-line store. Boldly I even tried calling about sizing the shoes, but I was not able to bridge the language barrier. I worked on reading about the lasts that would work for me and low and behold the sale was ending with few shoes available that I was interested in. My loss. I check the site periodically for some of their Budapest and Norweger offerings.

Thanks for sharing Shooman.

BTW: On a shoe note this morning I used some Cannoli Shoe Creme and Saphir Mirror Gloss (toes of shoe only) on a pair of Alden Lonwgings that I am wearing during my escapades today.

i-Gq94N2h-S.jpg

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Lloyd runs two main series, one kind of economy line and one better which is called 1888.

https://www.lloyd.com/de/en/men/shoes/premium-1888/

That line is made in Germany, in opposite to economy line which is mostly produced in Romania or India, and beside the sneakers all are Goodyear weltet.

All three pairs shown above are from that line. Ostron and Otis have been bargained away by Mr. Bezos, those black brogues (Walt) from a normal shop sale.

Cheers

Turnip

The Shooman

Practically Family
I think they have a distinct beauty. Perhaps not as sculpted. They do appear like a comfy pair of braided shoes. The London Braided Vass shoes I do like.

I completely agree with you Eric. These shoes do have a special beauty, and being less structured in the uppers they do have a great level of comfort. Wonderful summer elegance.

Many Vass run true to size. Eg, Budapest last, 3636 last, P2 last. But then things can get tricky because it also depends on ones feet. F last can be half a size up.

The key is to be able to return them if they don't fit. It is worth the gamble. Why? Because Vass are a superb shoe wearing experience that a man shouldn't miss. If you can get to know your lasts in Vass and get a good fit you will be very satisfied.

i-Gq94N2h-S.jpg

Best, Eric -

I really like this pair. Beautiful pebblegrain.

Last edited:

The Shooman

Practically Family
The way a Vass shoe is built makes all the difference, and the hand welting and hand stitched soles makes all the difference and the feel completely different from goodyear welted. A machine stitch is completely different to a hand sewn stitch when soles are concerned, and when a plastic feather is replaced by hand welting a man will enjoy the best experience a shoe can offer, ie, it can mold to his feet like a gyw shoe never can. See, the machine stitched soles and plastic feather in gyw provide a rigid shoe which has limited molding to the feet.

Example 1 = when you wear a double soled Trickers it will feel like a stiff heavy battleship. Why? The plastic feather and machine stitched soles.

Example 2 = when you wear a double soled budapester it will feel like wearing a solid sneaker and walking almost on a cloud. Why? Because it is built properly and molds to your foot because it was made by hand.

Eric: few men know the secrets of a hand stitched sole, not all stitches are equal. It is the way a stitch is done that makes the difference. That is why l recommend trying Vass and returning if necessary, because if you strike the jackpot your shoe experience could significantly elevate.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
The way a Vass shoe is built makes all the difference, and the hand welting and hand stitched soles makes all the difference and the feel completely different from goodyear welted. A machine stitch is completely different to a hand sewn stitch when soles are concerned, and when a plastic feather is replaced by hand welting a man will enjoy the best experience a shoe can offer, ie, it can mold to his feet like a gyw shoe never can. See, the machine stitched soles and plastic feather in gyw provide a rigid shoe which has limited molding to the feet.

Example 1 = when you wear a double soled Trickers it will feel like a stiff heavy battleship. Why? The plastic feather and machine stitched soles.

Example 2 = when you wear a double soled budapester it will feel like wearing a solid sneaker and walking almost on a cloud. Why? Because it is built properly and molds to your foot because it was made by hand.

Eric: few men know the secrets of a hand stitched sole, not all stitches are equal. It is the way a stitch is done that makes the difference. That is why l recommend trying Vass and returning if necessary, because if you strike the jackpot your shoe experience could significantly elevate.

You elevate the case to acquire a pair. Eloquently state reasoning regarding hand welting. My everyday Alden's sound like they will may have to sit a bit longer on my shoe rack with some hand welted shoes in the waiting.

I will commit to ordering a pair. The pandemic has reinforced to me that I do not need anymore formal shoes and that a pair of budapester's would suit me well.

Out and about.

i-JBD9px2-M.jpg

Thanks sir. Cheers tonight, Eric -

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The pandemic has reinforced to me that I do not need anymore formal shoes and that a pair of budapester's would suit me well.
i-JBD9px2-M.jpg

Thanks sir. Cheers tonight, Eric -
You have put it succinctly Eric, just how much do we "need?" Throughout this lockdown, I have looked around my home and thought that one day someone is going to do a house clearance on this lot. They will need a decent size van just to carry away our shoes.
The Cannoli Shoe Creme and Saphir Mirror Gloss have really lifted the appearance of those fine shoes, looking good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112