Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

foggy16

New in Town
Some Vintage Boots. Very nice closed channel sole, I think. I'm guessing 1930's.

Style looks right & the Kangaroo Kraze was in full swing during the 30's. I recently got a 1936 Weyenberg catalog, and nearly half of their top-line models were offered in Kangaroo as well as Calf.

I don't understand why Kangaroo has fallen out of favor with modern shoemakers for the most part. It's VERY lightweight & just refuses to dry out & crack.

Anyway...

IMG_4235.jpg

IMG_4495.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4246.jpg

IMG_4258.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

Kangaroo was so popular because it had all the smoothness of calf with all the strength of bull.

What size are those? I have a customer looking for a pair just like those in a size 7 give or take.

foggy16

New in Town
They're marked a 10e, but fit more like a 9 1/4.

Really? That is super odd. I almost never run across vintage shoes that are more then a half size off of their true marked size. And according to your sizing of them these are over a full size off. When I say nearly never I mean that less then 5% dont fit true to marked size and of that 5% less then 5% of them are off more then a half size one way or the other. And that is saying something since I am in the business of handling vintage shoes and handles thousands every year.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Really? That is super odd. I almost never run across vintage shoes that are more then a half size off of their true marked size. And according to your sizing of them these are over a full size off. When I say nearly never I mean that less then 5% dont fit true to marked size and of that 5% less then 5% of them are off more then a half size one way or the other. And that is saying something since I am in the business of handling vintage shoes and handles thousands every year.

From what I've seen, the older shoes are more apt to be off size-wise. Most of what I've worn from the 40's and newer is (as you say), within a half size of TTS. I have come across some interesting 1930's (and older) items that have been way off, however. I always go with actual measurements rather than merely the listed size.

foggy16

New in Town
From what I've seen, the older shoes are more apt to be off size-wise. Most of what I've worn from the 40's and newer is (as you say), within a half size of TTS. I have come across some interesting 1930's (and older) items that have been way off, however. I always go with actual measurements rather than merely the listed size.

I have measured enough shoes to tell you that measurements are less reliable then marked size. There are just too many factors. You can measure a foot to determine a shoe size but you can not reliably measure a shoe to determine foot size. The measurements for shoes of the same size are all over the board, both interior and exterior depending on the brand and lasting.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I have measured enough shoes to tell you that measurements are less reliable then marked size. There are just too many factors. You can measure a foot to determine a shoe size but you can not reliably measure a shoe to determine foot size. The measurements for shoes of the same size are all over the board, both interior and exterior depending on the brand and lasting.

I would not disagree with you entirely on your first point. Tagged size is a great indicator as it should be eventhough manufacturers play around with lasts.

I like to take the tagged/marked size and then contrast that with internal (particularly) length and then outside width and length.

But you are always dealing with volume. If you are buying sight unseen then it will always be a gamble. You just try to narrow the odds. Vintage 30s/40s are usually a larger tagged size than modern size by at least half a size IMO from experience.

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

Fair enough, as Volume is the real key to determining whether a shoe will fit on a foot. Length & width isn't enough taken on its own. However, If you familiarize yourself with particular makers and last shapes, you can use the interior measurements to get a better idea of size.

If you have a printed size, that's good, but if you can add in the interior measurements, that's even better. In the absence of a printed size, sometimes measurements is all you've got.

Having the shoes to try on in person is always preferable, but it is often not possible when dealing with vintage shoes.

foggy16

New in Town
Fair enough, as Volume is the real key to determining whether a shoe will fit on a foot. Length & width isn't enough taken on its own. However, If you familiarize yourself with particular makers and last shapes, you can use the interior measurements to get a better idea of size.

If you have a printed size, that's good, but if you can add in the interior measurements, that's even better. In the absence of a printed size, sometimes measurements is all you've got.

Having the shoes to try on in person is always preferable, but it is often not possible when dealing with vintage shoes.

Agreed that having the shoe to try on is the best but not usually realistic when talking about 30's and 40's shoes in your size. It is much more likely that you are going to find them online.

That said I will rarely pick up a shoe without a size unless it is special and then I will have a trying on party to determine a size estimate. I just passed on a very awesome pair of boots because there was not a size and at the buy price I did not want to deal with determining a size ot sell them.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Agreed that having the shoe to try on is the best but not usually realistic when talking about 30's and 40's shoes in your size. It is much more likely that you are going to find them online.

That said I will rarely pick up a shoe without a size unless it is special and then I will have a trying on party to determine a size estimate. I just passed on a very awesome pair of boots because there was not a size and at the buy price I did not want to deal with determining a size ot sell them.

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. It's a tough choice to roll the dice on an unknown. Recently, however, I've taken the "screw it" attitude and come out ahead on hunches & educated guesses more often than not. That's the fun of vintage shoe hunting, I think.

cookie

I'll Lock Up

Pics or it didn't happen!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
But eBay is full of top 13. 14s and 15s ?????
Perhaps I should search more carefully. In general, it seems that larger shoes tend to lose their proportion. What looks great in a 9 or 10 looks cartoonish in a 14. i know this isn't always true, but "the stretch" rarely works in shoe design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL