Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

sproily

Practically Family
Found these today

20120415-moro-8.jpg

flyfishark

Practically Family
After two sellers backed out, I finally got a pair of sea turtles. Unfortunately, these are about a 7.5. Decided to keep the toes and sell the shoes--but it was a coin toss!

_DSC0396.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0400.jpg
[/IMG]

cookie

I'll Lock Up
After two sellers backed out, I finally got a pair of sea turtles. Unfortunately, these are about a 7.5. Decided to keep the toes and sell the shoes--but it was a coin toss!

_DSC0396.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0400.jpg
[/IMG]

The shoes should be recrafted to your size if that were possible. Turtle is so nice and officially unavailable due to CITES etc.

flyfishark

Practically Family
So much for thinking about selling the sea turtle shoes I bought. The incredibly helpful US Fish & Wildlife Inspector I just spoke with (along with looking at the Federal Regs) makes it very clear that the sale of ANY sea turtle--no matter how old, even those carrying the old federal permits--is wholly illegal. Agents are monitoring online offers for sale. Damn, am I glad the other two sellers reneged on me. I wholly support the conservation efforts, but it seems a waste to ban those beautiful skins that were taken when it was legal (I'm not touching the ethical aspects here). If you know of a museum-institute-university that might be interested, let me know.

_DSC0399.jpg
[/IMG]

cookie

I'll Lock Up
So much for thinking about selling the sea turtle shoes I bought. The incredibly helpful US Fish & Wildlife Inspector I just spoke with (along with looking at the Federal Regs) makes it very clear that the sale of ANY sea turtle--no matter how old, even those carrying the old federal permits--is wholly illegal. Agents are monitoring online offers for sale. Damn, am I glad the other two sellers reneged on me. I wholly support the conservation efforts, but it seems a waste to ban those beautiful skins that were taken when it was legal (I'm not touching the ethical aspects here). If you know of a museum-institute-university that might be interested, let me know.

_DSC0399.jpg
[/IMG]

That is bizarre if they are pre-CITES what is the problem? This information is new to me.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
you would need PROOF they were made before the sea turtle was added to the list. Almost impossible to get that. Also, over 80% of the turtles i've seen (and I've seen plenty now) were POST CITES, made in Mexico.

flyfishark

Practically Family
you would need PROOF they were made before the sea turtle was added to the list. Almost impossible to get that. Also, over 80% of the turtles i've seen (and I've seen plenty now) were POST CITES, made in Mexico.

The regional service in NJ told me that the ban applied to ALL sea turtle products. They quoted the Endangered Species Act, which, in the US, applies to importation/exportation, and interstate offers to sell or purchase. Either the 3rd or 4th Circuit Court of Appeals has upheld this interpretation. (I'm old, and can't remember which). I'm looking for a university to donate them to. (although, since they can't be sold, the write-off is probably worthless). They were emphatic that the ban applied to pre-CITES sea turtle products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran