Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Here's this suit . . .
DSC_2420.jpg

. . . at Union Station
23623_390265715368_674645368_3836864_4892498_n.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Posted this in What Are You Wearing Today too, but with a couple extra photos here.
----------

Wore this (tried it on) briefly today after wagging it home from a thrift store. $5 for a 1957 Hickey-Freeman three-piece. :D :D Needs cleaning and some stitch work on parts of the lining but in fairly solid shape after all these years. The wild thing is that it is nearly a perfect fit for my tall, skinny self - that seldom happens.

{FYI - I also recently scored a contemporary H-F suit in 42R which I'll be offering for sale. That one is immaculate.}

DSCN0619.jpg

DSCN0622.jpg

DSCN0624.jpg

DSCN0628.jpg

DSCN0630.jpg

DSCN0631.jpg

DSCN0632.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Fab suit muy atomico and a bit early 77 Sunset Strip with the small lapels...appears that it's first owner was a saint and the second owner a sinner....

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
middle to late 50s. A nice fabric, certainly; I can't say i'm much of a fan of the jacket cut from that era.

bk

The suit has finally arrived today and is already off to the tailor. The waist on the jacket will be taken in a little, the sleeves will need to be let out, the pants came unhemmed (NOS) and will also need to be taken in on the waist as well. It's a costly endeavour and will set me back about $110 but I think it will be worth it. The herringbone fabric ist really nice. Now I have to wait till next tuesday - and then it's off to the laundy. I think next friday will be my first night out wearin the suit. I'll post some photo updates.

Navin323i

Practically Family
resortes805 said:
Here's this suit . . .
DSC_2420.jpg

. . . at Union Station
23623_390265715368_674645368_3836864_4892498_n.jpg

Beautiful suit and what a nice looking couple you both make! :)

This is going to sound crazy but your woman bears a striking resemblance to my wife... very similar face, same lips and similar body build... I need to post up a picture, preferably with me in a suit too. :D

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
This is my first suit, i bought it today, along with the tie, at goodwill. 12.80 for the lot. Excuse the location,but it had the best light.
1030723.jpg

1030724.jpg

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
WolfeMan said:
This is my first suit, i bought it today, along with the tie, at goodwill. 12.80 for the lot.
Not bad at all WolfeMan, especially for the price. When you get the chance, you should find a tailor to bring the jacket in a little bit. It's never too soon to find a good tailor that you can work with.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
WolfeMan said:
This is my first suit, i bought it today, along with the tie, at goodwill. 12.80 for the lot. Excuse the location,but it had the best light.
1030723.jpg

Bravo Wolfeman! Great find and you look sharp in it. I wish I had your sense of style when I was your age.

Mahagonny Bill is right, needs a little tweaking. IMHO don't use the local dry cleaners tailor as they are mostly skilled in simple adjustments and rarely take the time to "fit" you. Lastly, get a white pocket square.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
WolfeMan, to be honest, I think that the jacket is too big and too long. It would take a lot of tailoring ($$$) to bring it anywhere near a good fit and even then it might look a bit off.

I think you need to determine your correct size. I suggest that you visit the very best menswear shop (or better yet a bespoke tailor) in your area and ask them to fit and measure you. You might offer to pay them for their time and effort, maybe $20, though I doubt they'd even accept it. Armed with this info you'll be able to make much better use of the vintage/pre-owned clothing market.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
I intend to grow into it a bit, if it was a perfect fit i probably wouldn't be able to wear it for long.
Edit- For example, i bought a pair of pants around Christmas and have outgrown them since, and not all that recently.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
WolfeMan said:
I intend to grow into it a bit, if it was a perfect fit i probably wouldn't be able to wear it for long.

That's the spirit Wolfeman! A couple of tips, next time you find a suit see if you can curl your fingers around the bottom of the jacket(by the inside of your second knuckle) while you are wearing it...that's a rough indicator if the length is right. Also, look in a mirror to see if the jacket bulges just below the back of your collar, if it does it's a sign of an expensive alteration. Generally taking in the pants, shortening or cuffing the pants and adjusting sleeve lengths are affordable mods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass