Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got this off ebay for $5 a couple months ago. It needs desperately to be cleaned. I'm pretty sure its linen. Any suggestions?

P1070296.jpg

P1070297.jpg

P1070302.jpg

P1070303.jpg

Cold water. Wool wash-specific detergent. A bit of borax. Soak for a long time in a clean bucket. A little agitation won't hurt, but don't go nuts. Maybe a bit of rubbing on especially soiled areas. Then get someone to press it. Dry cleaners will usually press something for a couple bucks.

Won't be a problem.

What a lovely jacket, btw.

bk

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Nick D said:
That's a really nice jacket, Dinerman. What's the lining like?

Thanks Nick. It's unlined. The sides are trimmed slightly on the edges in the same fabric as the rest of the jacket.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
Cold water. Wool wash-specific detergent. A bit of borax. Soak for a long time in a clean bucket. A little agitation won't hurt, but don't go nuts. Maybe a bit of rubbing on especially soiled areas. Then get someone to press it. Dry cleaners will usually press something for a couple bucks.

Won't be a problem.

bk

Thanks. I'm sure it'll be a vast improvement over what it is currently.

Baron Kurtz said:

Won't be a problem.

bk

That definitely works. I did the same thing except in a washing machine. You can soak it overnight there after a bit of agitation on the gentle cycle. The next day, just run it through the rest of the drain and rinse cycle with little agitation and you are set. Be sure to mend any loose seams or such before doing this as they will get worse due to the agitation of any kind----bucket or washer. That little fraying around the pocket with launder below it might best be fixed before attempting to clean it. They just fray more after washing.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Warm Summer's Day...

1940 was a milestone in British History (in World History in many ways) when a few Squadrons of RAF fighter aircraft piloted by young men from Britain and other countries that had been conquered by the Germans, battled against the might of the Luftwaffe for their very cultural survival and the last foothold in Europe the US might have 'if' they ever ventured into this European War. We celebrate this victory 'this year' and honour THE FEW.

So, it seems appropriate to be wearing a suit that was made in 1940 in a light blue/grey wool with a red window-pane check. Light and airy for this balmy day in Blightey.

BLUE1940SUIT009.jpg

BLUE1940SUIT008.jpg

BLUE1940SUIT007.jpg

BLUE1940SUIT006.jpg

BLUE1940SUIT005.jpg

BLUE1940SUIT003.jpg

BLUE1940SUIT001.jpg

BLUE1940SUIT010.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yet more proof that the producers of shows such as Foyle's war need you as a regular featured 'extra' Paddy! And why not pay you extra as a consultant on era authenticity as well why you're there? ;)

I'm a bit envious of the unshaven look, though. You looked rugged and ready; if I try it, I look like a street bum! :eek:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
1940 was a milestone in British History (in World History in many ways) when a few Squadrons of RAF fighter aircraft piloted by young men from Britain and other countries that had been conquered by the Germans, battled against the might of the Luftwaffe for their very cultural survival and the last foothold in Europe the US might have 'if' they ever ventured into this European War. We celebrate this victory 'this year' and honour THE FEW.

So, it seems appropriate to be wearing a suit that was made in 1940 in a light blue/grey wool with a red window-pane check. Light and airy for this balmy day in Blightey.

BLUE1940SUIT001.jpg

Now all you need to do is pop down to the enlistment office! What a suit you have there mate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo