Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I just won me this (presumably) late 40's single breasted suit by Sewell Clothes for $114.

The color is a medium brown with rather faint, gray pinstripes. Pants are double pleated and have dropped belt loops. The two-button jacket is unvented and has a skeleton lining.

The suit will have to go to the tailor first to let down the cuffs and take in the waist... :rolleyes:

KCGAMETHURS_088.JPG

KCGAMETHURS_089.JPG

KCGAMETHURS_090.JPG

KCGAMETHURS_091.JPG

KCGAMETHURS_094.JPG

KCGAMETHURS_095.JPG

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
very nice, Mario. Wish I could luck onto finds like that on ebay. Vintage suits seem hard to come by at my height (6'4"). Where are the Clint Walker types from back in the day? :)

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
VitaminG said:
very nice, Mario. Wish I could luck onto finds like that on ebay. Vintage suits seem hard to come by at my height (6'4"). Where are the Clint Walker types from back in the day? :)

I have the same problem at 6'2", 205 lbs., 46L jacket, 40/32.5 trousers. I occasionally score a second-hand suit on Ebay, but not yet a true vintage suit. Vintage shirts (16.5/36) are tough too. I've had some luck with shoes (12), although not so much pre-1960. I do fine with hats (7 1/4), and of course non-sized items such as ties and cufflinks.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
...to the tailor first to ... take in the waist

I understand about that. See if they can do it without actually removing any material so it can be let back out later - just in case you fill out or want to pass the suit along someday...

I think it looks grand!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
I understand about that. See if they can do it without actually removing any material so it can be let back out later - just in case you fill out or want to pass the suit along someday...

I think it looks grand!

Yes, I love the look and the color.

And I have a pretty good tailor at hand who really knows his craft. He never removed any fabric from the garments I took to him. And what's more, he could take in a waist by as much as 6" or something and for some reason you wouldn't notice anything from the outside. I have no clue just how he does it but he can pull it off. I've always been very happy with his work. :)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
VitaminG said:

I'm 6"1', rather long and lanky. There's no way for me to find a suit that fits without some major alterations. I can only quote Hunter S. Thompson: "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." Well... :p :D ;)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Surely your worry is whether he'll actually have to add fabric to the bottom of the legs.;)

:eek: :D

No, I've made sure that there is enough fabric to let out, even though I'm afraid that it won't be enough for faux cuffs. We'll see. :)

Baron Kurtz said:
I was watching that suit. I really like that fabric. Very nice, indeed. I'd be guessing very late 40s as the date on the suit. Maybe early 50s. Union label should tell you.

Yes, I have obviously subscribed to early 50's/late 40's suits. Earlier stuff seems to be out of reach for me. [huh]

The seller didn't post a photo of the union label and was generally not very responsive. Slow at best. There is a certain kind of seller that I completly fail to understand. With some of those you get the feeling that they don't really want to sell you anything. It's funny how some people can actually manage to 'sound' grumpy in their e-mail responses; and it's not just the choice of words... :rolleyes:

redred

New in Town
tweed

birdclubtweed3.jpg

this is a vintage three piece tweed i picked up from savvy row, an ebay shop.

i hope it isn't going to ruffle any feathers that i'm a woman who likes to wear suits. I haven't worn clothing marketed to women for about twenty years!

redred

New in Town
well, quite, Mario. Only, i'm a 5'3" dumpy butch!

i had a lovely wool/cashmere charcoal grey single vent two button suit made for our CP by Susannah Hall http://www.susannahhall.com/. Slanted pockets and a ticket pocket on the right. Flat fronted trousers, no belt loops, side adjusters and buttons for braces. And a shirt, too, the only handmade shirt i own. I don't have any decent full length pics, i've realised.

weddingsuitandshirt.jpg

redred

New in Town
in all honesty, i'm not sure. There's no date in it. It's a button fly and it had turn ups but i had to let them down otherwise the trousers were way too short. From the shape of it (short, tubby) i expect it was made for an older gentleman. It's got lots of clever little features, as you find with most bespoke clothing, that sets it apart from OTP. I've not got the knowledge to narrow down the date it was made. My stab in the dark is 70s or late 60s, but that's conjecture on my part.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
I just bought this today. My first vintage suit, a gray 1960's sharkskin.
dscf0346zg.jpg

dscf0345.jpg

I also bought two 50's-60's ties. I am wearing the dark red one in the pics above.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
The smallest most places go would be around 36S. I know you can order double breasted blazers at Jos. A Bank in that size. Try record stores too. Many of the record stores in my area sell vintage clothes of all types.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Vintage lover said:
The smallest most places go would be around 36S. I know you can order double breasted blazers at Jos. A Bank in that size. Try record stores too. Many of the record stores in my area sell vintage clothes of all types.
My size is 33-34S so It is kind of hard to find a good suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo