Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Also, this jacket's outside breast pocket is on your left side. If this were a woman's jacket that was made to close 'right over left', then the pocket would be on your right side.

My wife had a 1940's Swiss skirt suit with the normal women's right over left buttoning, but the breast pocket was on the left. I suppose womenswear has more leeway in terms of such details.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
My wife had a 1940's Swiss skirt suit with the normal women's right over left buttoning, but the breast pocket was on the left.

Could it be that your wife's Swiss suit was originally a man's suit that was altered and "recycled" to be a woman's? And perhaps the trousers were cut up and resewn as a skirt? This sort of thing was done in the United States during World War II.

Last edited:

Delmark

New in Town
I have a 36" chest, but even so half of the size 36 suit jackets I try on are a little on the baggy side. I have a 28" waist, so I guess if the jacket had come with pants even I, skinny as I am, wouldn't have be able to wear them. I've never heard of men's jackets being sized in the single digits, but I could be wrong.

I agree with Nick on the pocket; I've seen a lot more variation in the women's section than the men's, for better or for worse.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, it came today. I tried it on this evening. I gotta say, it's a very cool suit, but the tiniest tiny smidgen snug. Either it's gonna have to expand ever so slightly or I'm gonna have to contract. Odd arrangement of buttons on the front.
But you were dead right about the material, Marc. Nice sort of crispy stuff.
And the plus fours that I also won from the same seller also arrived. They have plenty of slack to let out the waist, so I'm not worried about their snugness. There's a huge amount of blousiness I guess you's call it in the trouser, but the knee barely squeaks over my knee. Dude must have had thin bones.
I think I'm gonna have to break down and start doing some crunches and doing a little walking. Exercise: Yecchhh!!!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Could it be that your wife's Swiss suit was originally a man's suit that was altered and "recycled" to be a woman's? And perhaps the trousers were cut up and resewn as a skirt? This sort of thing was done in the United States during World War II.

With pocket placement on the jacket and the cut of the skirt, I think it couldn't have been made from a men's suit. The jacket was man-tailored, though, which would explain it.

WH1

Practically Family
And the plus fours that I also won from the same seller also arrived. They have plenty of slack to let out the waist, so I'm not worried about their snugness. There's a huge amount of blousiness I guess you's call it in the trouser, but the knee barely squeaks over my knee. Dude must have had thin bones.
I think I'm gonna have to break down and start doing some crunches and doing a little walking. Exercise: Yecchhh!!!

Guess you'll have to take up golf! What was it Mr. Clemens said about golf "a good walk ruined"

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Great suit Joshbru. Those are some classic design features and for $50 it really shows the great stuff you can win on eBay. I mean some people will be walking around having paid more for the jeans and t-shirt they're wearing and will look at you in that suit and think "damn, but I would look that good too if I made his money." Love to see a pic of you wearing it and to hear what the people at your office comment.

Original Ebay Picture

EVANPICONEsuit.jpg

EVAN PICONE MENS TAUPE/BROWN 3 PC SUIT 41 R 41R

Wearing the suit at my cousins wedding this past weekend

IMAG0013.jpg

SteveAS

Practically Family
Looks great, Josh! It looks like the sleeves are a touch long, but, otherwise, it looks to be a great fit.

Last edited:

Annixter

Practically Family
Dinner Jacket

I received a dinner jacket from England today. No tags/labels. The waistcoat and trouser adjuster buckles say "Britain." It's in great shape for its age (1940s?), although there is some slight wear on the lapel tips. The best part is that it is very close to my measurements. The trousers are pretty much right on, but the jacket and waistcoat chest need to be taken in about an inch, the sleeves shortened a little, and the jacket itself shortened about two inches--nothing my tailor shouldn't be able to tweak into shape.

The first picture is from the eBay auction. Please forgive my pictures, as I had to adjust the photo brightness to get good detail, and I don't have a stand on which to mock up everything. The black is still very crisp unlike some of the muddy photos show. I'm curious to get input on the vintage. I'll be sure to post pictures once I have it altered and wear it.

DinnerJacketonEbay.jpg

100_2277.jpg

100_2272.jpg

100_2254.jpg

100_2248.jpg

100_2258.jpg

Last edited:

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I received a dinner jacket from England today. No tags/labels. The waistcoat and trouser adjuster buckles say "Britain." It's in great shape for its age (1940s?), although there is some slight wear on the lapel tips. The best part is that it is very close to my measurements. The trousers are pretty much right on, but the jacket and waistcoat chest need to be taken in about an inch, the sleeves shortened a little, and the jacket itself shortened about two inches--nothing my tailor shouldn't be able to tweak into shape.

The first picture is from the eBay auction. Please forgive my pictures, as I had to adjust the photo brightness to get good detail, and I don't have a stand on which to mock up everything. The black is still very crisp unlike some of the muddy photos show. I'm curious to get input on the vintage. I'll be sure to post pictures once I have it altered and wear it.

DinnerJacketonEbay.jpg

Cut and style say late '20s early '30s to me. I notice it has that interesting double button as well.

Annixter

Practically Family
Cut and style say late '20s early '30s to me. I notice it has that interesting double button as well.
Interesting. I had a feeling its style looked older, but I've never owned a dinner jacket this old, so I have nothing to go off. Yes, the double button is interesting. Is that particular to a certain period, or is it just a tailor's style?

Agreed. 2" is a lot to shorten.

On a second, closer look, the jacket is about 0.5" longer than my bespoke suits. I guess the slim cut and long lapels make it look longer in the mirror? However, as a now-hypothetical question, wouldn't a tailor be able to re-roll the lapels up an inch and move the button up an inch to even proportions out? The chest would be adjusted, and the sleeves would be slightly shorter, and I think the pockets are high enough to allow for maybe 1 or 1.5 inches to be taken off the bottom without looking out of place. I'm glad the jacket's height turns out to be nearly the same as my other jackets, so no adjustment is needed to the height.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
[video=youtube;JkJAr5L7O4Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkJAr5L7O4Y&feature=related[/video]

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Gray six-on-one wool double breasted suit, early1950's tie, Knox Premier, spit-shined brown oxfords. Getting ready to go out with the wife for our anniversary.

dscf1694o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum