Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Bernard Newman said:
Wonderful pictures Ghos7a55assin!

Here a pictures of my first vintage suit from the bay.
It's a Botanny 500. Does anyone know something about this brand?

23350106_tp.jpg

Botany 500 is the material, not the tailor. There may be another labels somewhere. Probably British.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
"Mr. X's wardrobe by Botany 500".
Seen loads of those.

BT

Dick Van Dyke on the Dick Van Dyke show, who also happens to be one of my fashion icons.

Edit: Darren too? Didn't know that one! Too bad I know Rod Serling's suits were made my Kuppenheimer, stopping this from being my triple crown of late 50's-early 60's stuff. Well, it would have to be Dick York though. Bewitched is sometimes a painful show to watch, because while it started off with some of my favorite styles, it got too groovy too quick.

manton

A-List Customer
I actually like the second one better. The lapel is wider than Cooper's, the gorge higher, the collar has a better shape, and the roll is a hair lower.

manton

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
I've seen this cloth in other suits from the '20s-'50s. It's tricky to describe: nubby but not at all fuzzy; feels slightly sandpapery to the touch; breathable in a "Palm Beach Cloth" sort of way. May well be a mohair blend. .
Mohair is usually not nubby. It's interesting, from the picture, I would have pegged the weight as being pretty heavy, not at all Palm Beach. Maybe it's a heavy fresco with some flecking from lighter colored yarns in the weft? I have a piece of 15 ounce fresco like that, a little daker and less flecked, but similar. I don't know what the hell I am going to do with it. I can't get around the notion that I will roast in 15 ounce cloth in summer no matter how porous it is.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Looks like a tweed to me... that's what I'd call it. And if it had Mohair in it, it would be a little more soft then 100% wool.

Looks like a nice late 30's "Salt & Pepper" tweed.

Oh, by the way, that's a nice Belted back coat you posted too.

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Thanks BK, I've just been busy with stuff and what not.

The first coat Marc posted... the close up really looks tweedish to me... I guess I'm the only one? I have a pair of pants that are the same kind of fabric, they hang great and are tough... kind of sand paperish to the touch... just like that coat... I've always thought they were tweed... just a different kind of such.

=WR=

benstephens

Practically Family
Hello,

I am new here, have been lurking for quite a long time. I live in England and collect vintage clothing. Suits (As it seems for everyone) are my particular favourite.

I have quite a few now, all English 30s and 40s, so I thought I would begin by posting a few on here. I do apologise for my photo's they are not brilliant, I will try and get some better ones, perhaps with me wearing them (I am a bit camera shy!) I have quite a few more, so will get around to posting them as well.

The first suit was tailored by Hawes and Curtis in Jermyn Street on the 17th of Jan 1936. It is an interesting tweed, with a double rear vent at the back, and extremely high waist trousers.

1936.jpg

1936-1.jpg

chuffy.jpg

The nest was tailored by Perkins, Sandon and Hepburn Limited (Bond Street) in 1938. It is a large check, has a small belt on the back of the trousers, and the leg is not overly wide, as I believe became popular for a short while in 1938.

1938.jpg

1938-1.jpg

1938-3.jpg

The next suit, was tailored by Benson and Clegg in 1939. Lovely grey fleck material, very well made. Wide leg, slim cut.

1939.jpg

1939-1.jpg

The next suit is a post war one, tailored in 1947 by Jarvis and Hamiliton, Savile Row. It is exquisite, lightweight material, silk linings etc. Cut in a very similar way to a 1930s suit.

1947.jpg

1947-1.jpg

Many Thanks

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic