Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
My friend lent me his camera to take some pictures of my suits, I just took these myself a few minutes ago. They came out awful, I took them in the full mirror in the dorm bathrooms. I'll get more later this week no doubt that look better, but here's two suits of mine that I wear with the same hat, tie, pocket square, and shoes. They are similar patterns (brown pinstripes) but still look very different.

This is my Hickey Freeman suit that I won on eBay because I thought it was a 'Bold Look' suit at the time, but it's from the horrible 70's. I got it tailored for more of an hourglass shape, and wear the pocket flaps on the inside, and the end result is pretty nice. I love the fabric so much, it's incredibly soft but also heavy.

This is possibly my favorite suit. It's dated 1944. The gorge is so high, the button stance is perfect. The fabric is very heavy, stiff, and coarse. There are sharp white pinstripes in between wider red chalkstripes. When I got it, it fit like a glove. Sure it's a bit short, but otherwise, ideal. Pants are flat front and cuffed. I like pleats, but otherwise, I love brown on me, I love pinstripes, and I love high-gorge double-breasteds.

I still have 2 more 40's suits and a number of other vintage suits and outfits I'd like to show off in a few days.

Edit: Mr. Sable, that teal suit is incredible! What a find!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
just got this 1937 checked beltback SB peaked jacket and waistcoat (note: doesn't have the more common patch pockets of beltback jackets). the fabric has a tiny red and blue fleck throughout which can only be seen REAL close. sadly the trousers have long since walked off, or it would have been an outstanding suit. perfect fit too.

30sgreycheckbeltback2.jpg

30sgreycheckbeltback.jpg

will attempt self portraits later.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
benstephens said:
I have seen a few "suits" missing their trousers. I suppose they get worn out quicker.

That's exactly right. The seat of the trousers becomes shiny and thin. The trouser cuffs and side pockets fray. The button fly's buttonholes or the zipper rips or jams. Certain "stains" can appear on the front. (Prostate problems.)

Marc Chevalier said:
That's exactly right. The seat of the trousers becomes shiny and thin. The trouser cuffs and side pockets fray. The button fly's buttonholes or the zipper rips or jams. Certain "stains" can appear on the front. (Prostate problems.)

That's why they had the option to buy two pairs of pants with the suit. ;) Obviously the guy was cheap. :p

Regards,

J

Sly Style

Familiar Face
Very nice brisco, maybe at some point you might like to join me for a drink to discuss some really old times. I've been trying to get together some of the maine members here for a bit without much luck.

I remain sincerely,
Benny K.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Here's a good shot (Better then some of the last ones) of that German tailored suit... I'm just outside of the Ballroom on the balcony in Avalon Catalina for the Avalon Ball last Saturday.
avalonnd0.jpg

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ghos7a55assin said:
Actually, some 70's suits aren't all that bad. I saw one in Mel Brooks' Hitchcock spoof "High Anxiety" that was spot on 40's (except for the pocket flaps).

ray

Well ray, this is true... but, as you well know, they had pocket flaps in the 40's too! ;)

How have ya been my friend?

=R=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I only mentioned the 40's suits because he was talking about the 40's... I know they had pocket flaps on suits that go back 100 years or more! They had them on men's suits for almost the entire history of the garment... they just looked a little different from style to style.

Yes Marc, most of the pocket flaps on 70's suits are pretty wild but, they also did have some more conservative styles that could pass.

=R=

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
The real Henry said:
WOW, with some dust on it, nobody would see that this one isn't from the golden era.;)

Very Cool!:cool2:

Yeah. Wildroot is a master at the pastiche photo.

Wildroot you have the clothes, but you also have a great eye. Even your body language looks period correct.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Thank you so much guys! I take great pride in what I do... I'm just a very old soul I guess you could say... watching old movies has helped a lot! ;) The pose is where it's at! You might say I just feel at home in an old suit so, the look is very natural.

Thanks guys, I'm so happy you like my work!

=WR=

The real Henry

Practically Family
You all really make envy, because of those great photos!

I just can't wait to get my back from the taylor and put on one of the 69 ties I just purchased to take some era-style pics!:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara