Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Wild Root said:
Well, friends don't ask for Belted back suits they own. ;)

:p Yeah, I am not sending mine or those spectators any time soon either. :p

Wild Root said:
Don't feel bad, I'll buy ya a Cactus Cooler when you're down here!

=WR=

MMMMMM Cactus Cooler. I wonder if they have that at the Observation Bar. I'll have to experiment with a few new drink ideas if they do. :p

Regards,

J

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
I have that NRA pin!!! Cool stuff man, I enjoy wearing mine now and again... people always confuse it with the National Riffle Association!

No, that's what the poor Baron has to wear since the authorities learned he's going back to Britain: Non-Resident Alien.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Well, I do what I can.;) I might also ad that I recall seeing a film with Gene Raymond wearing ivory flannel trousers with a dark patterned single breasted peaked lapel coat with matching waistcoat... it was Transatlantic~Merry~Go~Round from about 1934 I believe... great movie and great clothes!

=WR=

If you can catch this college picture on TCM: Spring Madness (1938) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030783/ with Lew Ayers, you'll faint when you see the clothes in this one. (More Ivory Flannel, & Buck shoes, than your mind can process.)

benstephens

Practically Family
Here is another suit. This one is a blue pin stripe single breasted with peaked lapels. The jacket is cut deliberately quite short in the body. It also has interesting ribbing under the arm. I would say it is pre war, but has no other labels in it.

Pin1.jpg

Pin2.jpg

Pin3.jpg

Kind Regards

Ben

benstephens

Practically Family
Just looking back through some of the old pages. BK, I love that black pin stripe you have with the double breasted waistcoat, that is really something quite special.

Kind Regards

Ben

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
I just have to note that this thread, and the accompanying photos, makes this lady very happy. Honestly, it's great to know that there are gents who put so much thoughtful effort into understanding and presenting the principles of style. I am impressed with the attention to detail (and yes, god is in the details) and knowledge base here--and I'm learning a great deal as well (how many times have I caught myself reaching towards the monitor to "touch" the fabric samples...).

And the pictures are simply divine. :D Kudos, gentlemen.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
This was one of my uncle's suits that (ahem) shrunk, so he passed it on to me. It isn't vintage, more like '70s (even has the slightly flared legs), but I like it. It's navy blue with grey and maroon pinstripes. The hat is a Stetson Mallory in wool felt, and the shoes I had custom made in Okinawa.
bluepinstriped3pc3smns2.jpg

bluepinstriped3pc1smma5.jpg

bluepinstriped3pc2smbb6.jpg

benstephens said:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

oh my. That's wonderful. I'll bet you're going to tell me now that you're a 35S too. :rage: :rage:

I'm really looking forward to a foray into the Scottish countryside when i return to the UK. I think that's where to find this stuff these days. In the big cities/large towns, everything is snapped up instantly. But out in the charity shops in the boonies, i'm sure this stuff is unhappily gathering dust.

Where do your suits come from? (that is, where do you find them?) backwaters? or in big city charity and vintage shops?

cheers,
bk

benstephens

Practically Family
Hi BK,

Yes it is a nice suit that one. I travel all over the place to find suits, I was in Norfolk at the weekend, and am going to Bath tomorrow and then to London on Friday. However, they are disappearing now, the place to find them is in places with a static population and larger houses, where people do not throw away as much.

It is nice to have a job where I can get out of the office!!

I have bought a couple of suits from e-bay, but tend to find the measurements are not always great. The hardest thing I find to get is casual clothing.

When I get back at the weekend I will put some more suit pictures on here.

Herringbone kid, I am about a 39 to be combatable, but 37 do fit, really depends on style.

Regards

Ben

benstephens

Practically Family
Hi,

Here is a couple more suits. I have also posted a picture of an interesting jacket I bought recently under the jacket sections.

The first is my Dbl Breasted Pin Stripe. I think this suit cuts quite a dash to be honest.

tpin1.jpg

Tpin2.jpg

the second is just a plain blue serge suit by Burtons.

bur1.jpg

Bur2.jpg

Kindest Regards

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn