Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HBK, you're a legend!

herringbonekid said:
30sgreycheckbeltback2.jpg

30sgreycheckbeltback.jpg

will attempt self portraits later.

I believe you've snagged two-thirds of one of these:

hollywooddrape.jpg

Kudos! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Wild Root, need I say anything? You remain as always the acme of sartorial inspiration.

As Benny H. says, Root, you are an inspiration. et la: I wore the white shoes in homage to Root. (of course this has brought forth a barage of abuse from the student population, but i'm used to it.) I've always considered that the wearing of white shoes should not be limited by season, but rather by the conditions of the day. Today is one of those wonderful days that appear in the midwest: Biting cold, but with bright sunshine. Sunshine, in my opinion is the only limiting factor to wearing white shoes. If it's not sunny, i'm of the opinion that white shoes should not be worn. Even in summer. Anyway ...

This here is one of my NRA suits. A very strange fabric. Rather light in weight. And my favourite jacket style ever: The 1930s two button notch lapel. This jacket works better than any other type on my torso. I LOVE the high button stance on these jackets! Apologies for the first image's blurriness and the fact that the second is shot from below the waist - i have yet to find a camera stand (read: chair) in my lab of the correct height. I had the trousers altered very short, as seen in the 1930s Apparel Arts illustrations. The fedora is my 30s Barbisio long hair.

NRACrepe2.jpg
NRACrepe3.jpg

And here's the lapel and neck adornments for today. The bow tie, as you can imagine, brought forth further vitriol from the male student population. It's a vintage original fromthe 30s. Shirt is 30s Arrow brand. (yes, this is one of those rare days when i'm entirely vintage - except socks y underwear.) Recently picked up the pin badge (an original, not repro) from the eBay. Perfect for those wintry days when there're no flowers around worth plucking.

NRACrepe1.jpg
NRAPin.jpg

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
Why thanks BK,:eek: I'm honored.

That's a pretty nifty suit there! I like the fact that there's no break in the pants... it's perfect 30's drape! The shoes really look good with it too! Funny thing about white shoes, I've seen photos of men wearing them with black, navy, gray, brown, tan, green... you get the picture! Most men wore them in the summer months but, there were young men who wore them all year around unless there was snow on the ground... they were popular with Jitterbugs in 37-40 from what I've seen.

I have that NRA pin!!! Cool stuff man, I enjoy wearing mine now and again... people always confuse it with the National Riffle Association! I have to explain to them about FDR's New Deal... geeez, did anybody stay awake in history class?lol

Looking good there chief!

=R=

The Duke

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
Here's a good shot (Better then some of the last ones) of that German tailored suit... I'm just outside of the Ballroom on the balcony in Avalon Catalina for the Avalon Ball last Saturday.
avalonnd0.jpg

=WR=

Looking very dapper Wild Root! maybe I'll get the courage to posting some of my vintage suits one of these days.:eek:fftopic: Hey Wild Root, whatever happened to your Duke Ellington type avatar? the one with you and the top hat, that was cool.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Benny Holiday said:
I believe you've snagged two-thirds of one of these...

Benny, i wouldn't really call it a drape. i know the back has extra volume due to the 'shirring' along the belt, but the chest is actually really fitted. also, the shoulders are virtually unpadded. but i see what you're getting at. ;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Herringbone's coat and vest is very similar to the "Hollywood Drape Model" but, this coat and vest is earlier then the catalog image. The "Hollywood Drape" suit was out of a Chicago Woolens catalog from 1938 I believe. The coat Herringbone has is 1937... but, it has an earlier style to it. We also should remember that the illustrations in tailors books or catalogs often emphasized some parts of the suit to fit the style of the time... often we find suits that do resemble the illustrations in a catalog but, often times the suits that were made after the models in them are indeed different. Another aspect to consider is that often times a customer would walk into a tailor shop and pick a suit he wanted... the tailor would ask him what he wanted on the suit... kind of like a pizza if you will... You pick the overall style you want then you add the details like gathered back with half belt No. 158 or pleated back with yolk back... the list goes on... also, the customer could choose to have generous or modest shoulder padding... it was mostly up to the individual.

=WR=

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
actually 'Root you're dead right. i should have mentioned..... it is a tailored suit and waistcoat as oppose to off the peg, so while it was made in 1937, it's not bang on trend. it's harking back a little.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I do what I can.;) And might I ad that I'm insanely jealous of that coat and waistcoat as you gents call'em... I might also ad that I recall seeing a film with Gene Raymond wearing ivory flannel trousers with a dark patterned single breasted peaked lapel coat with matching waistcoat... it was Transatlantic~Merry~Go~Round from about 1934 I believe... great movie and great clothes!

=WR=

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
I might also ad that I recall seeing a film with Gene Raymond wearing ivory flannel trousers with a dark patterned single breasted peaked lapel coat with matching waistcoat... it was Transatlantic~Merry~Go~Round from about 1934 I believe... great movie and great clothes!

=WR=

hey, i'll try out that look..... next spring ! winter has finally kicked in over here. i was wearing a wool overcoat today, so that jacket and 'vest' are going to be in the closet for a while.

('Root i hope you can be consoled by the knowledge that it is far too small for you anyway) ;)

p.s. I'll look out for that film.

Wild Root

Gone Home
herringbonekid said:
hey, i'll try out that look..... next spring ! winter has finally kicked in over here. i was wearing a wool overcoat today, so that jacket and 'vest' are going to be in the closet for a while.

('Root i hope you can be consoled by the knowledge that it is far too small for you anyway) ;)

p.s. I'll look out for that film.

Yes, try that look next spring! You'll find that it will be a very fresh and cutting edge look for 1937! Wear some black and white two tones or, white bucks with them... it will look super!

Yes, I know it's too small for me but, I'm still jealous that you're the size you are... why oh WHY must I be a tall freak!:( (Looks up to the sky) All I want is belted back coats... is that too much to ask?

Yes, check that film out... it's amazing!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic