Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

benstephens

Practically Family
The next suit is a tweed hunting? suit. This was tailored by Lesley & Roberts of Hanover Sq for the Viscount Knolly's in 1937.

viscount.jpg

viscount1.jpg

The last picture today (Sorry this is such a long post) is a jacket, which was tailored in 1938 for the Marquis of Cholmondely (Apparently pronounced Chumley)

Marquis.jpg

marquis1.jpg

I have a lot more suits, which I will eventually take pictures of. I hope that you may have found some of these interesting. If you have any questions I can supply more details. Just to add as well, most of the marks on the suits are caused by bad lighting, they are all very clean, and in good condition.

Kindest Regards

Ben

The Duke

One of the Regulars
very sharp looking vintage suits! :eusa_clap thanks for sharing, can't wait to see the rest of your collection. Welcome to the lounge!!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Wow, Ben, those suits are truly amazing.

You really carry the first one off very well.

I am quite jeolous. I would love to source some of those suits, as I have to get all my suits made to get the detail right.

Well done and welcome to the FL.

:eusa_clap

benstephens

Practically Family
Hi,

Thankyou for the welcome. I am glad you like the suits, It is so nice to find people who have a passion for being smart and stylish.

Herringbone Kid hello, The picture was taken at a National Trust house. They were doing a "Country house in the 1930s" type event .

I just found another picture

Ben.jpg

This is a brown fleck CC41 two piece suit. No Tailor label, but actually very well made, I would have thought from a decent department store.

Kindest Regards

Ben

benstephens

Practically Family
Hi BK,

It is quite rare to find any 1930s clothing here now, 1940s suits do still turn up but it is very rare to turn up anything earlier, but having said that occasionally you are in the right place at the right time!

Hi Nick,

That is a nice suit, I like the colour, and also the fact that it has the edges of the seams piped, that is a nice touch.

Kindest regards

Ben

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Yes, this fabric is slightly nubby, or perhaps I should say "pebbly".

Here's the cloth from a '30s jacket of mine. Perhaps not as thickly woven, but the same texture:

fabric.jpg

And here's the jacket itself:

1930sSandBeltedBackJacketSide1.jpg
1930sSandBeltedBackJacketSide2.jpg

1930sSandBeltedBackJacketBack3.jpg
1930sSandBeltedBackJacketBack2.jpg

Wow! That's a sweetie.

benstephens

Practically Family
That is a lovely suit, I like belted back, but we do not see many in England. I have a French one, Tailored in Paris in 1927 (I think, it is hard to read the label, it is 192?).
french2.jpg

French1.jpg

French.jpg

I do not think it is as nice as the American one posted by Marc.

Here is a picture of a 1940s 3 peice. It is a nice Blue with grey and a red check through it. It is CC41 marked.

cc41-1.jpg

CC41.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara