Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you. I found it in a suitcase on the fleamarket. (Better don't ask for the price. It was dirt cheap) Well, it has moth holes on the trousers so it is still a step away from a perfect find but for that price I don't complain^^

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Thank you. I found it in a suitcase on the fleamarket. (Better don't ask for the price. It was dirt cheap) Well, it has moth holes on the trousers so it is still a step away from a perfect find but for that price I don't complain^^

In a suitcase on the fleamarket? Wow. What made you look into the suitcase in the first place? That suit wanted to be yours! :D

BTW: I just took a look at a heartbreakingly beautiful 1930's German suit (owned by the Cinetex guys). Medium gray, medium weight wool with a belted back jacket (the belt is only stitched to the jacket on the side seams, not across the back - appearently a common detail on many German belted back jackets from the 30's). As so often it turned out that the pants are too short - and the price too steep (approx. 400€). I'm heartbroken...

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up

Right. The jacket that originally triggered the discussion (link #1) is most definitely way too short (it's covering maybe 50% of the buttocks). I wasn't trying to state that wearing slightly shorter jackets was a general trend in the 30's (which is why I merely said sometimes).

Guess we'll have to wait for Flo to post a rear view photo.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BTW, I think that the vest may have been cut to have the bottom button closed.

webdsc4867.jpg

B.Hunt

New in Town
Sharp looking suit! Is there a source of information on 1930s German suits? I would be very interested. I'm looking to have a replicated suit from this era tailored to me, not really depending on the nation of the style's origin, but Germany would be interesting.

Brendan

what a lovely suit. Aren't you of the long-legged variety, making it even scarcer?

On the jacket length. (Boy was I in a mood on the day I posted in one of those threads quoted by AC Lyles;), but it does distill the essence of my thoughts on the topic.) This jacket is on the short side; I think that's obvious and unopposed by anyone here. But not too short, I think - a subtle but important qualification.

I just bought a 30s tweed jacket of about the same length (the jacket hem sits similarly in relation to the thumb), and it's just long enough, about as short as I would wear, other than a kilt jacket.

One question one obviously needs to ask is whether the suit is bespoke? Obviously everyone's body is different, and the chap who had the suit made may just have had a shorter torso than Flat Foot Floey.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sharp looking suit! Is there a source of information on 1930s German suits? I would be very interested. I'm looking to have a replicated suit from this era tailored to me, not really depending on the nation of the style's origin, but Germany would be interesting.

Brendan
I have uploaded some scans here. On top of the second page there is a rather detailled description of a suit in the style of 1938. So if your tailor could read german or translate it somehow it would be helpful maybe. Some details need knowlege to compare it the style of that era though. At one point the magazine tells the waist surpression is out of vogue. But in the picture we see there is still more than today.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I need help for dating this black suit. I think it is from the golden era.]

difficult to date exactly but it's clearly in the Goldilocks zone of mid 30s to late 40s.

excellent suit ! (good clear photos too... have you got photography lights set up ?)
it looks like it might have been tailored for someone with more girth than you around the middle. personally i would take all 3 pieces in a touch around the waist area.

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
I LOVE shorter jackets. I think the proportion looks a bit better than the traditional length. And a too-LONG jacket is one of the worst looking things possible; like a 13 year-old at a Bar Mitzvah.

Fidena

One of the Regulars
I agree: that's not a good look. But it beats the skinny suits you see these days, which look like a 16 year-old still wearing his Bar Mitzvah suit!

When cut properly, the longer jackets can be a really sharp look. The 1916-1923 age had quite a few longer jackets.

W2ejD.jpg

arXbn.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Which, in my experience, are still shorter than modern suit jackets, but have a higher button, waist and lapel stance.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I recently had a bumper day at the Charity shops, I managed to get two full two piece suits though unsure of dates and one 1970's waistcoat and trouser combo all three' suits' are very, very clean with virtually no wear...I don't think any has any great age but I thought the details might be interesting?, here's the 1970's 'suit' which I bought knowing it would be too small but I thought I might squeeze into the waistcoat but it was not to be...thought the wife has taken a liking to it and the trousers;
waistcoat first
2luqgjk.jpg
11u874p.jpg

w7ll3t.jpg
n3n1ja.jpg
I'm not sue of the maker or even if it's British(though some details and the 'lightening' zip make it seem a little like a few 'GUARDS' suits I have seen) but the material and construction is nice, I particularly like the two button waistband and trouser pocket style.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran