Show us your Swirl dresses!

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by Fleur De Guerre, Apr 19, 2009.

1. vintage_jayhawk

vintage_jayhawk One of the Regulars

There is a purple swirl on there that I've had my eye on for months!

2. Foofoogal

Foofoogal Banned

Yes, they are on my sites. I have 3 sites and 3 Swirls currently listed. I love to work with people though. Especially my FL friends.
    lol

3. MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue New in Town

Happy birthday to me! - [​IMG]

Sorry to anyone else who was watching it, but I was so happy to find a swirl in a colour I'm likely to regularly wear. I do love my flowery one but it spends most of its life in my wardrobe despite being a gorgeous fit.

4. Fleur De Guerre

Fleur De Guerre Call Me a Cab

Good to see Smuterella's swirl went to a good home! :)

5. exquisitebones

exquisitebones A-List Customer

6. Kiri

Kiri One of the Regulars

I saw that post Exquisitebones! You look fantastic. What I lucky find! I'm quite jealous. :)

7. MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue New in Town

Ooh that's lovely. I can't wait for mine to arrive now :)

8. HomesteadHattie

HomesteadHattie New in Town

I made two Swirls!

Here are two Swirl-inspired dresses I made from a $5 1980s pattern found on Etsy. I discovered that there are lots of wrap dress patterns out there from all decades, and they all have the same general silhouette and BIG pockets!
    I made the light purple one with I Love Lucy's Ethel Mertz in mind, since I noticed that many of her housedresses had some kind of strange neckline detail.
    The orange one is just a great kitchen/garden/housework dress! The pockets are vintage veggie-print fabric cut from a fat quarter bought on Etsy.
    Thank you ladies, for inspiring me!

[​IMG][/url] Purple Ethel Swirl Front by k_i_c_k_p_l_e_a_t, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url] Purple Ethel Swirl Back by k_i_c_k_p_l_e_a_t, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url] Purple Ethel Swirl Pocket Detail by k_i_c_k_p_l_e_a_t, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url] Orange Kitchen Swirl Front by k_i_c_k_p_l_e_a_t, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url] Orange Kitchen Swirl Pocket Detail by k_i_c_k_p_l_e_a_t, on Flickr[/IMG]

9. Foofoogal

Foofoogal Banned

HomesteadHattie

Seriously cute as can be. Love the one with black braiding. :eusa_clap

10. Smuterella

Smuterella One Too Many

Oh, hurrah! It really is a lovely one.

11. crwritt

crwritt One Too Many

These came out great! I've made three Swirlalike dresses this summer, and they're so much fun to wear. I'm wearing my blue one now. [​IMG]

12. HomesteadHattie

HomesteadHattie New in Town

Ooh, CRWRITT! I love it... you've got to show us pics of the other two! And I agree, they ARE fun to wear. I have been living in mine ever since they came off the sewing machine. They're so easy and comfy to wear, but at the same time, they're not shapeless or frumpy. My kinda frock!

13. Ms Sew-n-Sew

Ms Sew-n-Sew One of the Regulars

Good job Homestead Hattie - love the neckline detail and veggie print pockets :eusa_clap

I love the pockets on yours, Crwritt.

14. Maneki 13

Maneki 13 New in Town

question about fit

First, I just want to say how much I love looking at all the swirl pictures! There are some really great dresses out there.

I have a fit question and wonder if anyone can help me. I have a swirl, and everything seems to fit well, except that when I button it, it gapes a little in the middle of my back--the material bunches up a bit kind of like there's some excess, and it won't lie flat. Am I just not tying it right or do you think it really just doesn't fit well?

I know I probably overpaid for it, but really just fell in love with the dress. If it just doesn't fit, I might have to let it go. I don't think it's the bust. Does anyone else ever have this problem? Help with this would be much appreciated. Here's the dress:
    http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.134303203.jpg

15. Fleur De Guerre

Fleur De Guerre Call Me a Cab

Sounds like it's too big or that you have a narrow back - I have a couple that do the same but I just wear them anyway. I don't think it's a big deal - if you love it then just wear it! You could always get it tailored a bit?

16. crwritt

crwritt One Too Many

[​IMG]
    That is a very pretty swirl! It may be that you need to move the button to get it to fit properly, or that it is a little too long in the back waist. Try it on without buttoning it. Thread the ties in the usual way. If it fits well this way, have someone help you mark the button placement, then move the button. If it is still too loose, have someone help you smooth the excess material toward the waist and pin it. If its only a little, you may get away with hidden safety pins, or invisibly hand stitching a little tuck where you need to.
    These are a very adjustable style of dress, but of course they can't all fit everyone perfectly.

17. Maneki 13

Maneki 13 New in Town

Ladies, thanks for the advice. I'm going to maybe try to move the button, but as far as any kind of sewing or stitching goes, that'd be the extent of it. I'm totally useless when it comes to sewing and that sort of thing.

I'm a little hesitant to get it tailored, though that's a good idea. It's in such great condition, like it didn't seem as if it were ever worn and I'd like to keep it with the measurements it has. God forbid I ever have to part with it for some reason. My measurements are really odd and it'd probably be difficult to find someone who'd fit it.

At the very least, I guess I could just toss a cardigan over it. I have no idea why I didn't think of that until now. :eusa_doh:

crwritt--thanks for posting the picture of it rather than the link. Seriously, I have no idea how to post pics.

Also, about a year and a half ago, around March or sometime, there was a swirl on ebay that I totally missed out on (I was at work when it ended!). I've been kind of wondering if someone here gave it a good home. I think it was NOS and had octopuses and starfish on it. If anyone has it, please post a picture! I swear, I was on the fence with that one, and totally wanted it to wear to work! It's probably better that I didn't get it, because omg, I think my manager would've lost it if I work a octopus dress to work lol

18. Foofoogal

Foofoogal Banned

19. crwritt

crwritt One Too Many

that is one pretty Swirlalike, fleur. Lovely choice of button as well.

20. Mrs Cleaver

Mrs Cleaver One of the Regulars

Homestead Hattie- those are fantastic,luv them!You did a wonderful job:)
    Crwritt-I would luv to see the other dress you made ,i already luv the blue one,i thought it was an original when i you first posted it: