Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Switchblades

shortbow

Practically Family
Off topic but perhaps of interest to those who like me live in a no-switchblade jurisdiction: I recently bought a Spyderco Military, which while thumb operated opens as fast and easily as an auto, but has the advantage of being extremely practical as an EDC utility or hunting knife. Lovely engineering and execution.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, I'd guess the automatic knife is questionable at best in my jurisdiction, and I wouldn't carry it just to carry it. But I too have a spring assisted knife and it is fast too. They Walther is just as fast with a flick of the wrist though, and an excellent knife.

My Dad once told me though, "Don't ever pull anything out of your pocket you aren't big enough to eat"... I always try to remember that :)

MojoStick

New in Town
Here is a pic of a switchblade that my father-inlaw gave me. He said it was the one he used to carry back in the 50's.

bladesm.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hadn't seen the actual language posted yet so I thought I would add this for your convenience. Obviously this does not border politics, but if this is inappropriate, feel free to delete.

The Switchblade Act
TITLE 15 > CHAPTER 29 > § 1241
§ 1241. Definitions
(a) ...
(b) The term “switchblade knife” means any knife having a blade which opens automatically—
(1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle of the knife, or
(2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both.

TITLE 15 > CHAPTER 29 > § 1244
§ 1244. Exceptions
Sections 1242 and 1243 of this title shall not apply to—
(1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;
(2) the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce, of switchblade knives pursuant to contract with the Armed Forces;
(3) the Armed Forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his duty;
(4) the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by any individual who has only one arm; or
(5) a knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife.

TITLE 15 > CHAPTER 29 > § 1245
§ 1245. Ballistic knives
a) Prohibition and penalties for possession, manufacture, sale, or importation
Whoever in or affecting interstate commerce, within any Territory or possession of the United States, within Indian country (as defined in section 1151 of title 18), or within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States (as defined in section 7 of title 18), knowingly possesses, manufactures, sells, or imports a ballistic knife shall be fined as provided in title 18, or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.
(b) Prohibition and penalties for possession or use during commission of Federal crime of violence
Whoever possesses or uses a ballistic knife in the commission of a Federal crime of violence shall be fined as provided in title 18, or imprisoned not less than five years and not more than ten years, or both.
(c) Exceptions
The exceptions provided in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3) of section 1244 of this title with respect to switchblade knives shall apply to ballistic knives under subsection (a) of this section.
(d) “Ballistic knife” defined
As used in this section, the term “ballistic knife” means a knife with a detachable blade that is propelled by a spring-operated mechanism.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
My wife's paternal grandfather gave this well-worn one to me.
DSC_0263.jpg

I can make out Shur-Shanp, Colonial (then there's a missing block of the blade), USA.
With a quick search, I've learned that Colonial was a company out of Providence, RI, and that this was a cheap, but popular model sold in hardware stores.

DSC_0265.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
MojoStick said:
Here is a pic of a switchblade that my father-inlaw gave me. He said it was the one he used to carry back in the 50's.

bladesm.jpg

The Rizzuto is from the 1960s-1970s.

It's a copy of a 50s Italian swing guard, that was made in Japan, for many my age it was the first switchblade you could find easily. (I went though several in my mis spent youth)

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Undertow said:
Hadn't seen the actual language posted yet so I thought I would add this for your convenience. Obviously this does not border politics, but if this is inappropriate, feel free to delete.

The Switchblade Act

There are a few states that it is legal to own a switchblade, the Federal law mainly applies to importation and interstate sales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade#United_States

A better resource:

http://www.knifelawsonline.com/knifehome/

Disclaimer: As with any thing fun, check with an attorney before you yadda yadda.

It's been ages since i have seen any switchblades. I seem to recall in the early 90's that at a Gunshow I went to in Las Vegas some of the famous knife manufacturers had some model switchblades that were for sale to Law Enforcement only.

Heater

Familiar Face
fatso.jpg

Ernest Borgnine as S/Sgt. "Fatso" Judson in From Here to Eternity, 1953.
The little guy, the street thug, with all the authority of the United States Government behind him and the power of life and death over every mother's son.

Ernie is one awsome actor, that was one of his best roles.

I don't recall the name of the publishing companies and book sellers but there were a number that were associated with the Soldier of Fortune magazine as advertisers. They were also part of the various gun show circuits. They would be more likely to have a book or two on the subject.

Cold Steel used to make some you might contact them too.

jayinhk

New in Town
I actually sell handmade balisongs and other Filipino blades full-time, seven days a week! I do have a few nice Maniago switchblades in my collection, including a snakewood swingguard I'm very fond of. :)

jayinhk

New in Town
My three Italian stilettos and a couple of Spanish navajas. I keep my stilettos in the Philippines, where they're legal: balisongs are no problem here, but the autos are a no-no.

tumblr_lie68xrtYl1qcmmjy.jpg

jayinhk

New in Town
tumblr_lg4h2rgxHx1qcmmjy.jpg

This is a Filipino-made balisong I had custom-made for sale, but then couldn't bear to part with! Siberian mammoth ivory and Indian damascus with the kris grind. The craftsman who made this knife is definitely in the top three (of five) balisong makers left in the Philippines today!

tumblr_lg4h4oJrda1qcmmjy.jpg

Last edited:
Well, switchblades were pretty much the #1 deadly weapon of choice for youth gangs throughout the 40's and 50's. A friend of mine owns a beautiful one from the late 30's that belonged to his grandpa - who was actually an LAPD detective in the 40's and 50's lol - the story goes he carried it in a special holster he had made for it on his belt.

The ban on switchblades has been on the books since 1958. Interestingly enough, switchblades were originally marketed as a lady's knife. The selling point being that it would eliminate broken fingernails from trying to open them. They sometimes turn up in vintage sewing kits.

MVC-067F.jpg

The jigged bone handled piece is a Girl Scout knife!

http://www.iknifecollector.com/grou...rs/forum/topics/switchblades-are-not-only-for

Last edited:

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
I recall, my grandfather had a switchblade in his tackle box. He would pull it out to dress the knot or cut his fishing line.
To a kid that was pretty cool. He was the type who favored the dramatic. In the bottom of the tackle box was a 12 inch gaff w/o a handle. That was for a huge pike that was too big for the net. Looking back, I don't know why he didn't carry a luger or nambu in that box to finish the giant pike off. That would certainly have convinced me to holding onto my rod w/ both hands all time. Ha ha!

I really like the blade, the entire knife is sweet. I dig the Bamboo it sits on. Nice !!

tumblr_lg4h2rgxHx1qcmmjy.jpg

This is a Filipino-made balisong I had custom-made for sale, but then couldn't bear to part with! Siberian mammoth ivory and Indian damascus with the kris grind. The craftsman who made this knife is definitely in the top three (of five) balisong makers left in the Philippines today!

tumblr_lg4h4oJrda1qcmmjy.jpg

Imahomer

Practically Family
I carried a Benchmade when I was working too. Actually I've probably got near a dozen switchblades. I should try to dig them out of my gun safe and look at them. it's been a while. I remember buying an East German Police switch blade, VERY high quality and I paid pretty good bucks for it maybe 20 years ago.
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy