Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by Kimberly, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Lorena B

Lorena B Practically Family

Wow, what a find!!

2. Lokar

Lokar A-List Customer

I recently found a briefcase and some brogues. The briefcase's stitching was coming loose (you can see it coming apart at the top left), but I've repaired it, and also spent a few weeks conditioning and repairing the leather. It looks much nicer, the colour is now completely uniform without the streaks shown in this photo, and it is also slightly darker than it looks in the photo. I'm very happy with it.

The briefcase cost 50kr (£4.17 / $6.89).
    [​IMG]

The brogues cost 40kr (£3.34/ $5.51). They're newly polished in this photo, which is why they have no shoelaces. There are no manufacturer signs at all, just "Made in Italy" inside the shoe and on the bottom of the sole.

[​IMG]

3. Lorena B

Lorena B Practically Family

Wow!!! i guess you know Italian shoes are really the deal!! those are great!!

4. lolly_loisides

lolly_loisides One Too Many

Sheet music

Found these at the local flea market. $5 each.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I'm especially excited about the Gold Diggers of 1933 & Dames sheet music.
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

5. "Oh Lolly they are in Mint Condition, Do you play the Ukulele? I found this last year at "Yves Saint Vinnies" a bound edition of Queen Magazine from 1938, lovely modes and society photographs"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. lolly_loisides

7. Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty My Mail is Forwarded Here

Very cool! I have seen that Mickey Mouse sheet music reproduced, so be sure to check the copyright carefully.

I'd love to see more photos of the Society ladies!

8. lolly_loisides

I'm certain it's kosher - the copyright reads "1936 by Irving Berlin Inc".

And yes, if Binkie has anymore scans of the Mitford sisters I would love to see them too.

9. Warbaby

Warbaby One Too Many

I found this classic black leather satchel at the thrift store today for five bucks. I've always wanted one of these but all the ones I've come across until now were too beat up to use. This one's still in excellent useable condition - clean inside and no loose seams.

[​IMG]

10. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

[​IMG]

$15

LD

11. ThesFlishThngs

ThesFlishThngs One Too Many

Lovely chair, Lady Day, but I'm swooning over your big fluffy kitty. He's like my darling Buster. ;)

12. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

Yeah, Ive contemplated giving HIM to Goodwill a few times ;)

LD

13. ThesFlishThngs

I've got so many things around here I'm almost blind to them at times. Have to look at the place with fresh eyes to see what I can share.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. Trickeration

Trickeration Practically Family

I hit the jackpot 2 weeks ago. I paid $20 for the suitcase and it's contents. 146 vintage patterns. Mostly 50's high fashion, a bit of mens and womens 40's stuff. Some nicer looking 60's and 70's stuff that was actually worth keeping. My daughter is the seamstress in the house, but I expect to be paid back in finished product ;) .

[​IMG]

15. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike A-List Customer

Found a Norwegian 1940 model DBS, ("Den Beste Sykkel" - "The Best Bicycle"), dated from the Schweinfurt Torpedo back hub, - these are always dated by year and month. My wife loves it already. Paid ~$90.

[​IMG]

Also; a 1930s gavel, made from bakelite and some sort of bone-like material. Paid ~$15:

[​IMG]

Deconstructed:

[​IMG]

I can now start my own auction house. Or secret club.

16. MrNewportCustom

MrNewportCustom Call Me a Cab

Beautiful bike!

Now that you have that hammer, you could always paint it silver and change your name to Maxwell . . . :rolleyes: :D

Both items are very nice. Great finds! :)

17. SweetieStarr

SweetieStarr A-List Customer

Thanks for getting that song stuck in my head. ;)

18. Warbaby

Warbaby One Too Many

Great finds, Lucky Strike - I seriously covet that bicycle!

Not nearly as spectacular, but here's a nifty old Royal hand vacuum that I found at a garage sale this weekend for two bucks. It has a rotating beater brush and really sucks.

[​IMG]

19. ThesFlishThngs

Danger Danger! I just took a load of stuff over to a friend who is having a garage sale tomorrow, and what did I see in her garage? Old boxes and tins from household products, a kitschy handmade pillow with two vintage Valentines stitched under clear vinyl, a stack of boxed Halloween costumes (50s or 60s I'm guessing). Oh dear. Her husband has just been taking loads of stuff to Salvation Army, and what they have left is priced to sell; what's a girl to do? I don't need it, but I sure hate to see it just go to any old character looking for a bargain, who wouldn't appreciate it.
    Dear dear dear......

Oh, AND an aluminum Christmas tree! These people live in a 1950 home, what's wrong with them?

20. PS

PS A-List Customer

That is unreal! Its amazing.