Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Ok so I didn't get this at a thrift store or in a yard sale I got it at an auction. it is my entire waterfall bedroom set the whole set minus the trunk I got for $200 and the chest for $100, so really I was quite pleased with myself. The antique dealers had no room left in their vans so they didn't get it. It only had one owner before me and she never used it. I am not currently using the bed, because I love my cast iron one better, but I do have the bed though I need to take it to a shop to get fixed the overlay is coming up from being in my parents damp basement.
My dresser and a few close ups of details
waterfal003.jpg

waterfal004.jpg

waterfal005.jpg

waterfal007.jpg

The chiffarobe and a close up
waterfal009.jpg

waterfal010.jpg

my night stand
waterfal011.jpg

my vanity
waterfal012.jpg

The detail on top of both mirrors
waterfal026.jpg

I am going to post the rest in a moment

Grant Fan

Practically Family
This is my vanity bench
waterfal013.jpg

and the original import tag on the bottom of the seat
waterfal020.jpg

and the chair with it's original tags on the seat as well
waterfal008.jpg

waterfal021.jpg

this is the inlay on the back of my bench but it is on all of the pieces except for the chest
waterfal015.jpg

now the cedar chest
waterfal016.jpg

wood detail
waterfal017.jpg

and the latch
waterfal018.jpg

and the best part, the original interior label
waterfal019.jpg

MissECP

New in Town
I haven't been to a carboot sale for a while but, went to one last Sunday & managed to find some bargains.
WW2 CC41 shoes for £3, Biscuit barrel £2, Picture frame 20p.
Also, found a thermos in a charity shop for £2. The lady at the till couldn't believe that i wanted to buy it. She thought it was overpriced tat!

FpKUm1.jpg

CC41 stamp inside shoes,
WNiDs0-large-0.JPG

cf9x8Z.JPG

Lokar

A-List Customer
MissECP said:
I haven't been to a carboot sale for a while but, went to one last Sunday & managed to find some bargains.
WW2 CC41 shoes for £3, Biscuit barrel £2, Picture frame 20p.
Also, found a thermos in a charity shop for £2. The lady at the till couldn't believe that i wanted to buy it. She thought it was overpriced tat!

Which car boots did you go to? I used to find so many things at the one just outside Southwick, plus the Frome Market one. Went there two weekends ago when visiting my mum, and found SO many wonderful things. There's much more vintage things in England than here (although the few times you find things here, they're _so_ cheap).

MissECP

New in Town
Lokar,
Mostly i go to the Frome market one. There seems to be a lot of stalls selling boxes & boxes of house clearance items and this is where i've found most of my bargains over the years. I've also been to the southwick one too, but not as often. This has also been good for bargains. However, you never know what you might find wherever you go!

Lokar

A-List Customer
I went to the Westbury one on the 12th .. it was awful. There were four stalls there.

I met the most charming elderly gentleman at the Frome Market last time I went. I had a long chat with him about suits, hats and the like (all because I found and bought a nice vintage tie press, and he asked why I wanted it). Things like that are one of the main things I miss about England, and especially Wiltshire. The people here in Sweden are just nothing like as friendly...

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
turntables

I didn't buy any of these, but enjoyed seeing and photographing them.
General Electric turntable/radio. Pity it's in rather shabby shape, but for someone who knew how to restore it.....
3964052330_89be4ed7b5_b.jpg

1957 Philco record player.
3964052292_8bd9f101ca_b.jpg

And this Philco with a pull-out turntable.
3964052366_f3a34817ff_b.jpg

3964052354_a3ab4ce30d_b.jpg

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
For one thing, there were several, and I couldn't buy them all.... ;)
Actually, I was real tempted by the $90 Philco system. It would go nicely where my modern repro piece is, and I could eventually figure out something to do with my cds. The needle was disconnected and lying separately, and I don't know enough about evaluating condition to determine how much work it would need. The tag DID say it was in working order, but I'm sure some reconditioning would be required. Hmmmmmmmm.....

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
I found these Woman's Section inserts from the Boston Sunday Post at a yard sale today. There are about 6 from 1918 and 8 from 1919. They are really great: menus, grocery lists, recipes, crafts for kids, kids fashions, updates on WWI w/photos, etc etc.

th_DSC_3294.jpg

th_DSC_3295-1.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
3699616794_ed44e0ca53.jpg

"I have had this dressing table for a while, I also have the bedside cabinets, and had being praying to Saint Ebay to find a matching bed!

Anyhow my bed turned up last weekend!!, and in a nearby suburb!!, local pick up only, so I purloined it for $50.00 as the only bidder ..................................... just have to get it transported"

Grant Fan, What a bargain you got there!! You dont want the bed? guess one persons Trash is another persons Treasure!

Lorena B

Practically Family
Grant Fan, your whole set is amaaaaazing.
I will never get used to see what people chuck away or sell in markets, but for my ( well, our sake) i am quite please they do so we can take it.

Lorena B

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont.
Your dressing table is well swell.
I am also quite familiarized with wanting and look for something and eventually find it whenever you less expect it and in better situation that you ever wished for.
Good for you;)

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Actually, I can't remember where I got this...flea market maybe??? But, recently I was digging through an old box of my things packed away in a closet at my mom's house and sort of 're-discovered' this stamp issued for the 1956 royal wedding of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier. I don't think it's worth a whole lot, but it's a neat item to look at.

stamp100.jpg
[/IMG]

Grant Fan

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:
3699616794_ed44e0ca53.jpg

"I have had this dressing table for a while, I also have the bedside cabinets, and had being praying to Saint Ebay to find a matching bed!

Anyhow my bed turned up last weekend!!, and in a nearby suburb!!, local pick up only, so I purloined it for $50.00 as the only bidder ..................................... just have to get it transported"

Grant Fan, What a bargain you got there!! You dont want the bed? guess one persons Trash is another persons Treasure!

Oh I want the bed I love it actually, but because I stored it in my parents very wet 200 year old basement when I was growing up quite a bit of the over lay is peeling up, so I need to find a person to fix it for me. Also I love my cast iron bed, I call it my princess bed (and at 23 I still want to feel like a princess, I know that is a bit childish but it's a little thing). But when I actually get my own home or my parents move (which ever happens first) I am going to take it and put it in a spare room.

storman113

Familiar Face
As always when browsing the antique stores it seems I never find the things I'm on the hunt for, but always come away with a new treasure. Last Sundays fine was a 1st edition Zane Grey novel and a very nice post-war combo fly/cast rod with a travel case.

Zane_Rod.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy