Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
A couple sweet Goodwill finds this weekend...I buy too much artwork.:eusa_doh:

A print by artist John Haymson of the Lincoln Memorial. He did lots of DC area work. It's dated 1963 (even without the date I would have guessed early 60s by the style). The print is 13 x 30 and framed it is 20 x 37. Looking on the Internet brand new it would be at least $150.00 to buy. I got it for $12. :)

lincolnmemorial.jpg
[/IMG]

This reproduction vintage Pan Am framed print (a whopping 26 x 39) cost me $12, also. Brand new I'd estimate it at least $125.00. :)

panam.jpg
[/IMG]

Feraud

Bartender
I find it interesting to see who finds what. Certain members tend to collect artwork while others buy furniture, hats, jewelry, etc.

Anyway.. a pair of cufflinks I bought this weekend at a thrift shop. I really do not need another pair but the price was too good to pass up.
DSC05624.jpg

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quigley Brown said:
A couple sweet Goodwill finds this weekend...I buy too much artwork.:eusa_doh:

<snipped>

This reproduction vintage Pan Am framed print (a whopping 26 x 39) cost me $12, also. Brand new I'd estimate it at least $125.00. :)

panam.jpg

My mother used to be a travel agent and we had TONS of old posters like this in our basement. When my parents moved (pre-ebay years) we tried to find someone to give these and the old huge school wall maps to, but no one wanted them so they were trashed. :eusa_doh:

I'm sure you hate me now.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Purchased at a neighborhood yard sale, have no idea about the period/value, but I bought it for $10. I couldn't pass up the size (it's rare to find a chair that fits comfortably in my apartment)
100_2386.jpg
[/IMG]

WH1

Practically Family

panam.jpg
[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Quigley this is easily the best poster I have seen in a long time. Congratulations on a great find.

I was fortunate to find a 1940's wood desk chair all original, apparently it was used by the military as it has olive drab paint and military tack marks. it has the original casters and is in very good shape. it matches my 1910 walnut desk nicely. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Oh, I got it for $10 less than a mile from my house. A great saturday morning find.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Found this nifty Deco/Machine Age lighted makeup mirror at a street market yesterday for ten bucks. It's cast metal with a swiveling mirror - flat beveled mirror on one side and a magnifying mirror on the other. It's in great condition - the light works and the mirrors are perfect. The old wire looks a little dicey, so I'll probably replace it with a vintage-style silk covered wire.

MakeupMirror3f.jpg

MakeupMirror6f.jpg

(Maneki Niko says "Hi!" to all the loungers.)​

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I bought this 1940s set today at the Goodwill. It was a very spur-of-the-moment purchase and now I realize I have no room for it and will have to get a refund.:( I do have until Thursday evening to pick it up if anyone here would want to come and get them....it was only $25 for the pair.

couch100.jpg
[/IMG]

zaika

One Too Many
quigley, i have never wanted to move to the east coast as much as now. ;)

that's a fantastic set. hope someone here can go snatch it!!

Vintage Betty

Quigley Brown said:
I bought this 1940s set today at the Goodwill. It was a very spur-of-the-moment purchase and now I realize I have no room for it and will have to get a refund.:( I do have until Thursday evening to pick it up if anyone here would want to come and get them....it was only $25 for the pair.

couch100.jpg
[/IMG]

Quigley, you may want to post this info in the Classifieds. I feel your pain.

Vintage Betty

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Betty said:
Quigley, you may want to post this info in the Classifieds. I feel your pain.

Vintage Betty

I found a buyer...sad in a way :( . I showed the photo to friend (the owner of the local vintage clothing store) and she got all excited. Maybe I do some swapping instead of cash...

Laura Chase

One Too Many
MaryDeluxe said:
Nice suitcases QB!

A while ago I found a 50's shadow box. I finally started putting it back together as the pieces were loose. Still needs a fresh coat of paint and a mirror piece but it looks fairly okay and holds the tiki well! lol

shadowbox22.jpg

I was wondering if there is a reason this is called a shadow box? I have never seen one before, it's quite intriguing!

Vintage Betty

Laura Chase said:
I was wondering if there is a reason this is called a shadow box? I have never seen one before, it's quite intriguing!

From Wikipedia, Military Section;

A shadow box is an enclosed case used in dioramas with a scene or object(s), that has been specially designed to let light pass through from only one angle, so that objects within are less susceptible to damage from light.

They are typically presented to members of the military upon retirement. These shadow boxes will usually contain the various medals and awards a person has earned through a military career, the flag of both their country and military service, and their final badge of rank.

In the United States, some companies specialize in the construction and sale of shadow boxes. Price can range from just a few dollars to several hundred. People often purchase these in order to preserve, and still enjoy memorabilia. A similar case, called the uniform display case, displays an entire uniform with correct insignia placement.

Some shadow boxes are constructed using colored paper or cardboard. They are typically given away as an interesting alternative to more standard greeting cards. Like the traditional, military shadow boxes, paper counterparts also feature some form of window or cut out to expose dioramas, illustrations or other contents within.

Comment from Vintage Betty:
The reason this is called a shadow box, is that it presents items with light. In this case, the light is from the mirrored background in the back of the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay