Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
5246969311_e8dcbe16dc_b.jpg

I like the design and color. Is it lavender?

Blackjack

One Too Many
It's not really purple, that must be my camera it's a nice grey and maroon. The others photographed color correct though. I did the picture in photoshop....(time i changed it, not halloween anymore)

Viktor

One of the Regulars
Hey good fellows, I'm a new kid in town and have a couple questions.
Is this how you date ties (found this info on ebay)?
1930s - 44" long
1940s - 47" long
1950s - 51" long
Late 1950s, Early 60s - 53-54" long
1970s - ties were a/ 55" long
1990s - ties were a/ 58" long
Are there any particular brand ties to look for?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Hey good fellows, I'm a new kid in town and have a couple questions.
Is this how you date ties (found this info on ebay)?
1930s - 44" long
1940s - 47" long
1950s - 51" long
Late 1950s, Early 60s - 53-54" long
1970s - ties were a/ 55" long
1990s - ties were a/ 58" long
Are there any particular brand ties to look for?

The above is more or less correct, although variations existed within those time frames. For example, I've got a post WWII "Bold Look" tie that is less than 47" long, and naturally hangs above the stomach. Another way to date ties is by their widths. In the '30s, average length was about 3"; by the late-'40s, it was about 4". In the mid-'50s, it got back to around 3", but by the early'-60s, the width was typically between 2"-1". In the late-'60s/early-'70s, 5" was the norm, and then went back to about 2" by 1980. You can also date a tie, somewhat accurately, by its fiber content, the shape of its back "blade," the way it is sewn, the design, and even by the labels on it.

Regarding particular brands to look for, that depends on who you ask. For me, based on their designs, Hollyvogue, Wembley, Photie (ties with photos on them), Haband, and Cheney are desirable (not to mention those sold under the JC Penney "Towncraft" line). I also look for any California hand-painted ties. Others have a thing for Beau Brummell, Arrow, Van Heusen, Pilgrim, Sulka, and Rooster neckties, all good brands. For just about any collector of "vintage" ties, Countess Mara, Tina Lesser, Schiaparelli, and Salvador Dali' examples are collectable (especially the last label, specimens of which often sell for $100 or more).

The above is more or less correct, although variations existed within those time frames. For example, I've got a post WWII "Bold Look" tie that is less than 47" long, and naturally hangs above the stomach. Another way to date ties is by their widths. In the '30s, average length was about 3"; by the late-'40s, it was about 4". In the mid-'50s, it got back to around 3", but by the early'-60s, the width was typically between 2"-1". In the late-'60s/early-'70s, 5" was the norm, and then went back to about 2" by 1980. You can also date a tie, somewhat accurately, by its fiber content, the shape of its back "blade," the way it is sewn, the design, and even by the labels on it.

Regarding particular brands to look for, that depends on who you ask. For me, based on their designs, Hollyvogue, Wembley, Photie (ties with photos on them), Haband, and Cheney are desirable (not to mention those sold under the JC Penney "Towncraft" line). I also look for any California hand-painted ties. Others have a thing for Beau Brummell, Arrow, Van Heusen, Pilgrim, Sulka, and Rooster neckties, all good brands. For just about any collector of "vintage" ties, Countess Mara, Tina Lesser, Schiaparelli, and Salvador Dali' examples are collectable (especially the last label, specimens of which often sell for $100 or more).

A good summation. I just have to add the Botany and Signet brands.

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
Here's a few favorites I picked up over the years in thrift stores. Most of these came from one thrift store in Covina, CA where they would put about 50 ties in a bag and sell them for $2.95. Since moving to Idaho I haven't been near so lucky. Vintage ties and Hawaiian shirts are much harder to find here. It's the land of plaid.
tiesgrouponeQuicke-mailview.jpg

left to right: no label, Hollyvogue, National Clothing Co., Gold Line
tiesgrouptwoQuicke-mailview.jpg

left to right: Hollyvogue, Signet, Wilson, Regal

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Here's a few favorites I picked up over the years in thrift stores. Most of these came from one thrift store in Covina, CA where they would put about 50 ties in a bag and sell them for $2.95. Since moving to Idaho I haven't been near so lucky. Vintage ties and Hawaiian shirts are much harder to find here. It's the land of plaid.
tiesgrouponeQuicke-mailview.jpg

left to right: no label, Hollyvogue, National Clothing Co., Gold Line
tiesgrouptwoQuicke-mailview.jpg

left to right: Hollyvogue, Signet, Wilson, Regal

Very nice, especially the Hollyvogues, National Clothing(!), Signet, and Wilson! :eusa_clap
Covina? That's not too far from me...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Nice design. I would venture that it is likely from early in the Bold Look period ('44-'46), based on construction, and length; most (not all) later Bold Look ties had lining, and were longer. Also, the fact that such a design is found in a wool tie lends to my "suspicion," since such graphics were usually found in rayon, rayon/acetate, acetate, and sometimes silk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo