Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

kools

Practically Family
Yeah...the floral one is certainly rayon. The painted tie, alas, has no labels. Thanks for the kind words, boys.

Feraud

Bartender
I haven't found many ties that fall into the right interest/price point category but here are two.
A Goodcraft Cravats and Wembley Nor-East.
DSC08989.jpg

DSC08990.jpg

DSC08991.jpg

DSC08993.jpg

I have enough pheasant ties to last a while.
You can't go wrong with a diagonal striped number.

Quigley - would you be willing to share just how many ties you own (roughly)? I ask because what you posted agrees so well with my own experience. I have never, ever, had the chance to buy an exact duplicate of one of my ties. Same line, different colourway etc. etc. but never identical.

Now, i'm mostly interested in late 20s and 30s ties, and I have some interesting images taken by Margaret Bourke-White on Allen street in New York in 1932. The looms that tie silk was made on seem awfully small (narrow), and I think most of the patterns were made in very short runs, meaning that there might only be a few of the smaller name ties of each pattern out there. Obviously the bigger makers like Wembley and Haband and Botany would have made bigger runs, allowing for more duplicates in the "vintage system". But even these bigger makers, it's unbelievably rare to find a duplicate.

For the record, I'm approaching 500, and have never bought - or seen - a duplicate of any of them. (There was one Haband once in a house of moths, but it was made of acetate rather than the silk my one is made of.).

If I had one of EVERY type I'd have about 40,000 of them. This pheasant one is actually only the 3rd or 4th one I've seen my entire time on the Forum that I've had a duplicate of.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Quigley - would you be willing to share just how many ties you own (roughly)? I ask because what you posted agrees so well with my own experience. I have never, ever, had the chance to buy an exact duplicate of one of my ties. Same line, different colourway etc. etc. but never identical.

Now, i'm mostly interested in late 20s and 30s ties, and I have some interesting images taken by Margaret Bourke-White on Allen street in New York in 1932. The looms that tie silk was made on seem awfully small (narrow), and I think most of the patterns were made in very short runs, meaning that there might only be a few of the smaller name ties of each pattern out there. Obviously the bigger makers like Wembley and Haband and Botany would have made bigger runs, allowing for more duplicates in the "vintage system". But even these bigger makers, it's unbelievably rare to find a duplicate.

For the record, I'm approaching 500, and have never bought - or seen - a duplicate of any of them. (There was one Haband once in a house of moths, but it was made of acetate rather than the silk my one is made of.).

Well, at the moment it's probably at the 1000-1100 mark (and growing still), but over the past few years I've probably sold off roughly that same amount to a local vintage clothing store. I just kept the cream of the crop. I'd say it's half 1940s/one-quarter 50s/one-quarter 60s. I'm sure there's a few 30s ones in there, too. I'm not telling you this as bragging rights, I've just casually acquired them over the years. I think the most expensive one I've bought was $15, but then I'm sorta sure that the next most expensive was $5. It really surprised the heck out of me when I got the first duplicate. I really hadn't thought about there being same pattern/different colors until then.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I'm in the same boat as most of you as regards duplicates, with the exception of '70s ties; I have more than once seen duplicates of 5 inchers right on the same rack in the thrift store (donated NOS?). Otherwise, never...

Okay, here's today's neckwear. (It's St. Valentine's Day, alright?)

Photo33-2.jpg

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
I don't think I have exact duplicates either but do have a couple of same pattern/different color matches. Are we counting those as matching pair?

FWIW, I have seen two exact matches of ties I own on Ebay.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I have exact duplicates either but do have a couple of same pattern/different color matches. Are we counting those as matching pair?

FWIW, I have seen two exact matches of ties I own on Ebay.

I don't think that those count, Feraud; I've got three of the same pattern which I recently posted, but it's the exact duplicates which are so hard to find.

No, no, not bragging rights at all. I understand what it is to be a gatherer of ties! :) 13 years and counting … "Sure, i've got enough 1930s ties, but for 50¢ each - none of 'em doubles - I'll absolutely take another 20." In the last 2 years, i've never worn the same tie twice. I just keep adding and adding - the markets here are full of them.

I have always found it astonishing, coming from this mass production uniformity era as I (we) do, that duplicates are so hard to come by. It really drives it home how small the runs of some of this silk/rayon was.

bk

p.s. I have just today had a small epiphany. I am putting together pictures to describe and will post here. I have come to the realisation that for years I have been dating a whole subset of ties totally wrongly!

Well, at the moment it's probably at the 1000-1100 mark (and growing still), but over the past few years I've probably sold off roughly that same amount to a local vintage clothing store. I just kept the cream of the crop. I'd say it's half 1940s/one-quarter 50s/one-quarter 60s. I'm sure there's a few 30s ones in there, too. I'm not telling you this as bragging rights, I've just casually acquired them over the years. I think the most expensive one I've bought was $15, but then I'm sorta sure that the next most expensive was $5. It really surprised the heck out of me when I got the first duplicate. I really hadn't thought about there being same pattern/different colors until then.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I don't think that those count, Feraud; I've got three of the same pattern which I recently posted, but it's the exact duplicates which are so hard to find.

Okay, I do have two exact identical ones. They are late-50s, square-bottomed with sewn-in colored feathers. I won't post a photo, though. You know I do a lot of Photoshop work, so you might just think the photo was fake...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
No, no, not bragging rights at all. I understand what it is to be a gatherer of ties! :) 13 years and counting … "Sure, i've got enough 1930s ties, but for 50¢ each - none of 'em doubles - I'll absolutely take another 20." In the last 2 years, i've never worn the same tie twice. I just keep adding and adding - the markets here are full of them.

I have always found it astonishing, coming from this mass production uniformity era as I (we) do, that duplicates are so hard to come by. It really drives it home how small the runs of some of this silk/rayon was.

bk

p.s. I have just today had a small epiphany. I am putting together pictures to describe and will post here. I have come to the realisation that for years I have been dating a whole subset of ties totally wrongly!

It gets in your blood, Baron, no doubt about it. Yes, it is amazing how difficult it is to find duplictes, and yet there were so many different manufacturers and designs, that one can understand why. Also interesting how you have a slew of '30s ties over in England; that's not the case here, at least from my experiences and from those of other collectors. Regarding your epiphany, which subset were you dating incorrectly?

Also interesting how you have a slew of '30s ties over in England; that's not the case here, at least from my experiences and from those of other collectors.

Ha! Go to the Midwest, my friend. Goodwill et al. are absolutely stinking with them.

Regarding your epiphany, which subset were you dating incorrectly?

You'll see. It's a group I had thought were transitional between distinct eras/styles of construction, but are not.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^You're right about the Mid-West, Baron; I had read about that from you and other posters. Well, I can't wait to see which transitional group you're speaking of.

For me, here's today's offering. A bit ostentatious, but I like it. No label, feels like rayon or rayon/acetate, c.mid-'50s. The medallion on the clip chain is from 1953 Boy Scout National Jamboree.

Photo34-2.jpg
Photo35.jpg

kools

Practically Family
I wish the Midwest rule was universal. Not that I never find deals in Milwaukee...but I can go a long time here finding absolutely NOTHING and it's been this way for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred