Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Today's tie. By Fashion Craft, and from about the middle 1940s, I think. 4" wide at the thick blade. A lovely peachy gold with with self-woven leaves or feathers, one of my favourite motifs; second only to flowers.

FashionCraftLeavesTie.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Fashion Craft made some nifty ties.

From yesterday. Just in case you younger collectors have never seen a genuine 100% Dacron (DAY-cron) Polyester tie (courtesy of Dupont Laboratories) from Superba, c.mid-'50s; needs no ironing, as advertised...I like the vibrant blue background and the motif.
Photo77-6.jpg

Okay, from today we have a Haband(!) made of acetate, early-'50s. Really deep maroon with a nice gray, vertical design.
Photo84.jpg

Last edited:

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Oh, yeah...Add to them the May Company on Wilshire Blvd., Buffum's, the Broadway, Zeidler and Zeidler, Montgomery Ward, Zachary All, and many others that are just memories here.

Zachary All! Do you remember Eddie, for Zachary All? "People ask me, Eddie, are you kidding? And I tell them, no, I am not kidding." His persona and catchline were the inspiration for Zappa's "Eddie, Are You Kidding?"

Wow... flashback, man...

Espee

Practically Family
What stuck in my mind from Zachary All commercials was the recitation of featured sizes, including "portly regular, portly short..."
Don't know what shows I was watching-- maybe Abbott & Costello and Universal monster movies...

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
What stuck in my mind from Zachary All commercials was the recitation of featured sizes, including "portly regular, portly short..."
Don't know what shows I was watching-- maybe Abbott & Costello and Universal monster movies...

You can go onto youtube and put in Eddie, Are You Kidding? for Frank Zappa's ode to Zachary All. During the performance they rattle off the sizes Eddie promises you. The refrain goes

I'm coming over shortly, because I am a portly,
You promised you could fit me in a $50 suit

Written by someone who knew the Zachary All commercials...

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Look, I gotta just jump in here-

Late sixties-early seventies local LA tv still floats around (unbidden) in my memory. Seymour stands out, as well as weekends when local channels ran the Sherlock Holmes series, and I am sure I remember some Charlie Chans shown OTA here.

In high school there were three of us, who weren't really tight buddies per se, but suffered from the same sort of weird sense of humor, that had journalism and yearbook classes together. Each Monday we would come into school and rehash the late night monster movies that were guaranteed for weekend viewing. I especially remember channel 13's late night commercials- I mean like 11 o'clock 'til 1 o'clock- everyone single one of which looked like it was filmed on 8mm Bell and Howell equipment, with a lady's voice in an echo chamber happily telling you about Sal's Pizza or Taste o'Sweden Smorgasbord, with the bulk of the narration carried by some guy reading off hours and days of operation and the street address. Harry Shearer, then recently of the Credibility Gap parodied those two on one of his radio shows...

FYI - I am in the midst of posting video on You Tube from the Vintage Tie Seminar from the Fedora Lounge Queen Mary event in May 2010. Just search for Fedora Lounge Queen Mary and some video will turn up. My name there is John91722 so if you go to my "page" the list of videos should come up there to watch.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
You can go onto youtube and put in Eddie, Are You Kidding? for Frank Zappa's ode to Zachary All. During the performance they rattle off the sizes Eddie promises you. The refrain goes

I'm coming over shortly, because I am a portly,
You promised you could fit me in a $50 suit

Written by someone who knew the Zachary All commercials...

Oh, man, that is good!

Look, I gotta just jump in here-

Late sixties-early seventies local LA tv still floats around (unbidden) in my memory. Seymour stands out, as well as weekends when local channels ran the Sherlock Holmes series, and I am sure I remember some Charlie Chans shown OTA here.

In high school there were three of us, who weren't really tight buddies per se, but suffered from the same sort of weird sense of humor, that had journalism and yearbook classes together. Each Monday we would come into school and rehash the late night monster movies that were guaranteed for weekend viewing. I especially remember channel 13's late night commercials- I mean like 11 o'clock 'til 1 o'clock- everyone single one of which looked like it was filmed on 8mm Bell and Howell equipment, with a lady's voice in an echo chamber happily telling you about Sal's Pizza or Taste o'Sweden Smorgasbord, with the bulk of the narration carried by some guy reading off hours and days of operation and the street address. Harry Shearer, then recently of the Credibility Gap parodied those two on one of his radio shows...

Seymour! Yes, I recall him, as well as another horror host on channel 52 who wore a beat-up fedora (his theme song was "Why Can't We Be Friends?")...Off topic here, but...Sherlock Holmes movies were on KHJ channel 9; the theme song was "The Emperor's Apprentice." Horror movies were on KTLA channel 5, later hosted by Tom Hatton, who used to host Popeye cartoons in the '60s on (I think) KHJ. (I used to record the movies from both stations on reel-to-reel tape recorders.) And remember all the Criss-Craft commericials on KCOP channel 13? The company owned the station, after all. I think Pizza Pete's also advertised on KCOP. Yeah, they were cheaply-made commericals, but at least KCOP had The Lloyd Thaxton Show in the mid-60s, L.A.'s bargain basement version of American Bandstand...

Last edited:

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Widebrim, we must be careful for being off topic, but I must chime in with "I'm Lloyd Thaxton," with the crowd shouting, "So what!?" Lloyd running the songs from the Mad magazine LP such as "She Got a Nose Job," and Engineer Bill getting us to drink our milk with "Green Light! Red Light!" and KCOP deriving its call letters from the Copley Corporation, and Bill Burrud with his theme song The Happy Wanderer, and Hal and Halla Linker, and Beachcomber Bill, and that Channel 9 economy gambit of showing the same movie every weeknight, accompanied by that cool whistling theme (do you know the name of it?) I will make myself stop now.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Wow, Wally, you do go back...Yes, Engineer Bill on KHJ (I think), and Sheriff John on KTLA (I think), and the Linkers with Three Passports to Adventure (but was that just a local show?) I recall Bill Burrud, but not Beachcomber Bill. Now, back to neckties...By the way, what's going on with Quigley Brown? I haven't seen a post by him in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails