Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
From today. c.late-'50s Superba Dacron polyester tie.
Photoon2012-01-20at1501.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
As ever, I'm back into 1950/1960s British territory (you're probably all bored of seeing the rather dull British ties that I love so much!).
This is a rather dull red silk by 'Lincoln Bennett'. The red and black combination merge into each other (something that was very popular at the time). Rather perversely, whilst most polyester ties were desperate to pretend they were silk, this silk tie seems to be pretending to be polyester! The dull colours and texture all shouted out 'Trevira' or some similar fabric so I was shocked to see the silk label:
IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

This is an example of a polyester tie of the same period (another charity shop find from this week) which appears to be better quality than the silk one:
IMG_1264.jpg

A later tie (probably 60s) in grey herringbone by 'Consulate'. Probably meant to be worn with a morning suit. I don't own a morning suit or ever really find need to wear one, but i couldn't resist the tie:
herringbonetiebyconsulate.jpg

consulatetielabel.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^ Only a bit...

Here is from today: Another one that was sitting in the bag, which I just washed and pressed (although I think it is a little too rolled at the edges); it took a while to straighten out the inner lining. From Cheney Cravats, rayon, very short, c.1947. A cigar if you can name the the actual aviary line this was known as...

Photoon2012-02-02at12063.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
^^ Only a bit...

Here is from today: Another one that was sitting in the bag, which I just washed and pressed (although I think it is a little too rolled at the edges); it took a while to straighten out the inner lining. From Cheney Cravats, rayon, very short, c.1947. A cigar if you can name the the actual aviary line this was known as...

Photoon2012-02-02at12063.jpg

"Game Birds". Cheney's most lucrative line. Or "Tropical Plumage".

^^Wow, that is a great one. Interesting that they were made of different materials.

They took advantage of that Game Birds pattern for quite some time. Likely they were all the same rayon faille material---just in different finishes. Cheney was an interesting brand that I have collected for years. Their ties, Hollyvogue, Botany, Beau Brummell, Palm Beach, Signet and a host of others form a good part of my collection. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ