Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
It's not like there's a 'difference' between late-40s and early-50s ties, it's just that after 1952 everything started to narrow in width. Even though I've dealt with vintage ties for over twenty years now I can't positively date a tie be it 1948 or 1951.

Yes, it is difficult, unless you know when a certain manufacturer established itself. In addition, there are are certain lines (Van Cruise, Tropical Birds, etc.) whose inception/run dates can at least help pinpoint when a tie was made. I've also noticed that the hard-core art deco/geometric designs tend to be more prevalent just after WWII, with other designs/themes being more predominant in the early-1950s.

Yes, it is difficult, unless you know when a certain manufacturer established itself. In addition, there are are certain lines (Van Cruise, Tropical Birds, etc.) whose inception/run dates can at least help pinpoint when a tie was made. I've also noticed that the hard-core art deco/geometric designs tend to be more prevalent just after WWII, with other designs/themes being more predominant in the early-1950s.

Not to mention that ties made during the war ar indistinguishable in many way to those made before it. No liner, thinner and some of the same brand tags and material were used that were left over from previous runs.

Switch California to Manhattan, and you describe the 1920s tie industry to a tee. Very small runs of patterns often made for one store or enough for one street seller only. Until I read several excellent articles on the tie industry in Apparel Arts I couldn't fathom why I so rarely find a vintage tie in a pattern I already own. The rapid turnover of patterns and very small production runs of cheap printed silks explains it, though.

From 1946 to 1952, millions upon millions were made. A lot of them came from California. Brands like Cohama, Hollyvogue and the like were knocking them out in patterns that changed weekly or monthly at the latest. :p

Switch California to Manhattan, and you describe the 1920s tie industry to a tee. Very small runs of patterns often made for one store or enough for one street seller only. Until I read several excellent articles on the tie industry in Apparel Arts I couldn't fathom why I so rarely find a vintage tie in a pattern I already own. The rapid turnover of patterns and very small production runs of cheap printed silks explains it, though.

There was a fair amount of influence from Europe too at that time. Maybe not where the ties were made but what patterns were acceptable. After WWII you could see the influence immediately as ties were much bolder than before while the clothing industry had to rebuild in Europe.
The Manhattan shirt company was always a fairly large company. They produced ties as well.

It's interesting to contrast the tie industry in the 1920s in Manhattan (slums full of recent immigrants living mostly below the bread line) and in the later 1940s in California where conditions were quite a bit better. There's a great sneering article in Apparel Arts with photos of some of the chaps in Manhattan who're making the ties. They're standing out in the street smoking a cigarette in probably their only break of the day in their shirt sleeves. And of course, all the magazine can sneer is that they're not wearing ties or hats. Yeah, working all day in a slum tenement in Manhattan in the middle of summer with no A/C and you're going to wear a tie and hat. Probably couldn't afford a bloody hat.[huh]

bk

It's interesting to contrast the tie industry in the 1920s in Manhattan (slums full of recent immigrants living mostly below the bread line) and in the later 1940s in California where conditions were quite a bit better. There's a great sneering article in Apparel Arts with photos of some of the chaps in Manhattan who're making the ties. They're standing out in the street smoking a cigarette in probably their only break of the day in their shirt sleeves. And of course, all the magazine can sneer is that they're not wearing ties or hats. Yeah, working all day in a slum tenement in Manhattan in the middle of summer with no A/C and you're going to wear a tie and hat. Probably couldn't afford a bloody hat.[huh]

bk

The conditions of shirt factories were likely even worse.

At least out here it didn't get freezing cold and they did wear hats and ties. :p

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Have posted this before, but not in this color combination. Kory Ties of California, c.late-'50s, car and steering wheel motif.

Photoon2012-01-12at16062.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I've had rather a good week tie hunting around various charity shops of Northamptonshire and South London. One particular charity shop had five 1950s ties among all the usual fat, modern dross. I am going back again in a day or so: after all, if someone local has died and all his ties have ended up in this shop, his suits might appear soon.

Anyway these ties ranged in price between 50p and £1.99. Most were 99p. So I was happy with the bargains. They suit my subdued taste in ties.

What better to combine with a tweed suit than a nice tweed tie?
tweedtie.jpg

tweedtielabel.jpg

Another one that's perfect for a tweed suit:
wooltie.jpg

This one - by 'Victor' - is a typical British woollen tie of the 1950s. I have at least three others in this pattern, in varying colours:
victortie.jpg

victortiedetail.jpg

victortielabel.jpg

This is by St Edmund ties. I recently spent £15 on a 'deadstock' tie that was almost exactly the same as this (but in different colours) just weeks ago. I should have waited: this was just 50p! That's life.
stedmundtie.jpg

This appears to be a regimental silk tie. Any ideas?
silkregimental.jpg

No idea of the maker, but this is exactly the type of tie I adore. Bright, but with a simple pattern:
redterylenetie.jpg

redterylenetielabel.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here are some more:

This is by 'PLS'. Again, it appears to be a typical man-made fibre British tie of the 1950s. The green detail is very subtle but is striking in the right light.
plstie.jpg

plstiedetail.jpg

plstielabel.jpg

This has a nice peacock feather design. It reminds me of 1920s ties I have seen - but i am guessing it is from the 1960s. it is a Duratye by Jaques:
peacocktie.jpg

peacocktielabel.jpg

I am looking forward to wearing this one with my green suit:
browntie.jpg

The next two are both by a company that appears to be called 'E'. Have a look at the logo of the E with a crown: any ideas?
Etie.jpg

Etielabel.jpg

Etie2.jpg

Etie2label.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^A nice batch of British ties.

From today: a somewhat typical c.early-'60s tie, with minimal contrast between colors. What I found interesting, though, was the fact that one of the motifs is at the bottom, a bit unusual for a tie of that period, especially a...Wembley! (Wear with blue or grey suit.)

Photoon2012-01-17at0944.jpg
Photoon2012-01-17at09454.jpg

^^A nice batch of British ties.

From today: a somewhat typical c.early-'60s tie, with minimal contrast between colors. What I found interesting, though, was the fact that one of the motifs is at the bottom, a bit unusual for a tie of that period, especially a...Wembley! (Wear with blue or grey suit.)

Photoon2012-01-17at0944.jpg
Photoon2012-01-17at09454.jpg

I think that is actually the Wembley butterfly. I guess they went the way of Countess Mara there. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass