Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Picked these 2 up at a thrift store recently. Knit one I think is late '40s/early '50s and the purple one is possibly deadstock '20s/'30s.
CIMG2468-1.jpg

CIMG2470.jpg

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I found this 'Tootal' tie in a charity shop for 99p. This is my first Tootal tie that isn't rayon. Does anyone know what date they started using Terylene? Also, this is part of their 'Gold Quality' collection. I know they also did a 'Silver Quality' range. Does anyone know what the differences were (I'm guessing it was based on the type of fabric).

greentootal.jpg

A close up of the pattern:
greentootaldetail.jpg

greentootallabel.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I found this 'Tootal' tie in a charity shop for 99p. This is my first Tootal tie that isn't rayon. Does anyone know what date they started using Terylene?).

It goes back to 1941, and was the first polyester fiber developed. I really haven't seen it used in ties before the late 1950s, though.

I'm wearing this one from "the bag" that I showed before. The suit color is actually more of a greenish-blue in nature.

Photoon2012-02-06at12292.jpg

Last edited:
I found this 'Tootal' tie in a charity shop for 99p. This is my first Tootal tie that isn't rayon. Does anyone know what date they started using Terylene? Also, this is part of their 'Gold Quality' collection. I know they also did a 'Silver Quality' range. Does anyone know what the differences were (I'm guessing it was based on the type of fabric).

Also, Green Quality and I think Red Quality. Not to forget Sports Quality and Boys Quality (both of these made of brushed cotton).

The Terylene ones start coming in around the early 50s.

bk

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Also, Green Quality and I think Red Quality. Not to forget Sports Quality and Boys Quality (both of these made of brushed cotton).

The Terylene ones start coming in around the early 50s.

bk

I have seen green and red, but I have never seen 'Sports' or 'Boys'. I suppose that's something else to add to my wish list!

Cheers.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Sports quality ties are quite rare. I have football and horsejumping (and one other, I think, that I can't remember right now).

The last Boys Quality one I saw on eBay (white/yellow/red spacerockets on a blue background) fetched a pretty penny.

bk

I am seeing a dealer next month who claims to have lots of mens scarves, ties and cravats (with plenty of Tootal among them) in some sacks in storage. In theory, they are going to let me have a rummage through to see what I can find. They will certainly be on my radar now (knowing my luck, it will come to nothing).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto