Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
TT, do you know what date these Tootals are from ?
i know more about American ties than Brit ones. i think i have a grand total of (drumroll) 3 Brit ties. one is a Tootal 'Green Quality' similar to the above.

HBK: I'm afraid not. The brown and green ones I posted both feel quite early. Maybe 30s or 40s? The red one is later, it has a lining, is narrower and is lined - so I'm guessing early 1960s? Part of the problem is that the labels hardly ever change.

I'm sure someone out there must have some Tootal catalogues from various dates. If so, I would love to see some details posted.

Marco: In answer to your question, I'm afraid I don't know what the various 'qualities' of Tootal tie refer to. There are Gold, Silver, Green, Black, Boys, Sports, Standard etc. My immediate observation is that it is the weight of the fabric. The standard quality ties are quite light. The gold quality ones are heavier and the ones I have seen are lined.

Let's hope there's an expert out there, flicking through the pages of an old Tootal catalogue, just waiting to answer our questions.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That leaves several eras of ties out for you then. :p From 1946-52 and anything from the 1970s. :p

Not a problem in the UK, 46 to 52 was still predominantly calm. Even the 70s produced plenty of ties for the older market that had no intention of shrieking. (It's just a case of finding the damn things)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I actually - and very seriously - pondered the idea of buying this one. I would put it in the back of my closet and only look at it by candle light in the dead of night when everyone is sound asleep so I wouldn't have to be afraid of any disturbances. You know...I'm pretty sure all my neighbors are watching me already... :eeek: ;)

Take a chance, Mario...:p

$(KGrHqF,!jUE6DYUWQZ(BOlzDO,zgQ~~60_57.JPG

Interesting but not $35 interesting. It is also super thin.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
these are two of the first ties i ever bought (i was into the 1950s when i started out). i always assumed they were mid-1950s but have never been quite certain. can anyone accurately date them ?

the motif on the houndstooth one looks hand painted.

L1040648.jpg

L1040650.jpg

L1040649.jpg

Last edited:
these are two of the first ties i ever bought (i was into the 1950s when i started out). i always assumed they were mid-1950s but have never been quite certain. can anyone accurately date them ?

L1040648.jpg

L1040650.jpg

L1040649.jpg

Yes, those a mid century ties. Unusually bold patterns for the period. Probably pre 1955---before the minimalists took over the tie industry. :p

Two Types

I'll Lock Up

L1040648.jpg

L1040650.jpg

L1040649.jpg

Nice to see you posting in the tie forum. Are we going to get treated to a view of your 3 British ties?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21