Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Here's a busy Countess Mara. The tall, skinny dude in the middle looks like Honest Abe....

countess.jpg
[/IMG]

I think the tall guy is supposed to be the ringmaster. :p

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Is there any company still making the novelty mirror image personalized name neckties? I have a friend asking me where to get one made.

Espee

Practically Family
Ties with a shape to the skinny end

A few times in thrift stores I've seen ties which have three things in common:
Thin material (silk);
About 11" shorter than the other ties;
Narrow end widens to form a shape which would complement the wide end when worn "free."
One was a Wembley; another proclaimed "Genuine Silk Foulard."
What is this style called, and what is the era?

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I think this is a common feature in vintage ties, although I'm not sure what year or part of a decade would be the cut-of to this from occurring. These ties tend to flare from narrower up top to wider as it goes down to the wide point of the tie "blade." As you've said, in the back, as well as the front. I own only one tie, a vintage 1950s or '60s black U.S. Navy service tie. The tie has that flared shape, in both front and back. It is wool, but thin (because of being unlined) like you've described the silk ties. I'm thinking about ironing the back of it narrower though, as I wear this tie fairly long instead of short as it might have been intended, and the narrow end's wider point is visible in the front. Either that, or I'd just tuck it in my shirt.

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
You have described what makes up about 2/3 of my tie collection! I believe they are called cravat ties, even though they are not cravats. The length accommodates the high rise pants of the era of which they are from (mine seem to all be from the late 20s/early 30s, but their timeline probably extends further in both directions). Their not being lined accommodates the fickle and tight nature of detachable collars. As a wearer of both the high rise pants and the detachable collars of the era, I can attest that no other tie fits the bill.

Espee

Practically Family
I may go back and grab the latest one I saw-- muted red and green with some off-white. "A little bit Christmas-y" which I prefer to cartoon reindeer and golfing Santas.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I have two ties that fit the description. Both are green I will get a pic up soon. One looks really old. The other looks brand new. I got them both at yardsales one was 25 cents and one was 3 for 25 cents. Most of my other ties are very skinny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart