Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Tommy

One of the Regulars
Today's Tie in the Field: unknown maker - Handpainted

001-12.jpg

detail shot
003-15.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Very nice tie, Tommy! I don't have a single hand-painted tie in my collection, yet, but in general, many here have made convincing arguments for getting one.

Nice one, The Good. Great color.

Tommy, you come up with some great looking ties, man! Nice.

Thanks! That was my grandfather's tie, which he wore between the 1960s (I'm not sure if any earlier), through the 1970s. I'm not sure if he wore it past the '70s. It's a typically narrow tie for the era, being 2 1/4" wide, and it might have been a tie he bought while living in Yugoslavia (Croatia, specifically), although I'm not aware of any of his other ties from that time and place. I also have one of his suits, a striped brown one made in Belgrade, Serbia, then part of Yugoslavia. It has a very thick fabric. The jacket is a little too big for me, and the pants short (I could only wear them as low rise pants with the no-break look, which looks OK with my dress boots).

The tie doesn't need to be washed, now, but as it is advertised as a washable tie, I'm curious about how I would properly go about it. Does it call for the washing machine, or sink water? Are there any products that are safe to use, in order to remove stains from ties, without damaging them? This is a polyester tie, so what could work with one fabric, may not for another.

Last edited:

Annixter

Practically Family
The tie doesn't need to be washed, now, but as it is advertised as a washable tie, I'm curious about how I would properly go about it. Does it call for the washing machine, or sink water? Are there any products that are safe to use, in order to remove stains from ties, without damaging them? This is a polyester tie, so what could work with one fabric, may not for another.

As with any vintage apparel, I wouldn't machine wash it. You'd probably end up with a twisted, possibly torn mess when it gets wrapped around the agitator. A gentle bath in the sink with cool-lukewarm water and a little Dawn original liquid soap would be my first try. I'd test an inconspicuous section first for colorfast regardless of what the label claims. Be sure to rinse it really well.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
As with any vintage apparel, I wouldn't machine wash it. You'd probably end up with a twisted, possibly torn mess when it gets wrapped around the agitator. A gentle bath in the sink with cool-lukewarm water and a little Dawn original liquid soap would be my first try. I'd test an inconspicuous section first for colorfast regardless of what the label claims. Be sure to rinse it really well.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. On various forums, I have read of cases of people bringing their ties to a dry cleaner, only to end up with a tie shinier than it came in, or otherwise different.

Annixter

Practically Family
Today's: 4" wide. Label reads Excello Cravats, Raxon, with a paper tag that says "pat. drapestitch construction." The red label is hard to make out but reads "The Hunter Tie made expressly for Frankfort Distillers Corp. I picked up this one with that lot find at the flea market a couple months back. It has some moth damage that I patched, but it was too cool to pass up.

Today's: 4" wide. Label reads Excello Cravats, Raxon, with a paper tag that says "pat. drapestitch construction." The red label is hard to make out but reads "The Hunter Tie made expressly for Frankfort Distillers Corp. I picked up this one with that lot find at the flea market a couple months back. It has some moth damage that I patched, but it was too cool to pass up.

I must be going to the wrong flea markets. That was a GREAT find.

Nice one. Same brand, I notice, as your father's day tie. The dark/light contrast is very distinctive. Did you pick those up together?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Tommy

One of the Regulars
Nice one. Same brand, I notice, as your father's day tie. The dark/light contrast is very distinctive. Did you pick those up together?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
\

They were from the same batch. I just happen to be in the handpainted mood lately, so I'm wearing them.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
Harness racing, anyone?

Unfortunately, this one has some condition issues. It came safely through a gentle soak and now needs a careful ironing but there is staining/stiffness on the lining at the wide tip that I haven't yet been able to budge. There are also a few tiny holes in the lining and one on the front by one of the horses. But how could I resist a purple and yellow horse tie?

P1070806.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany