Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Really hard to unless you get a twofer like Today's Tie of the day:
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Dali' and Hollyvogue. Now that is hard to top...

Annixter

Practically Family
And it is also a Hollyvogue. Geez, I wish they were still around to make some decent ties today. The new tie racks now are a vast wasteland of boring and even more boring. No wonder tie usage has waned over the years with the junk they have to choose from. No chance for individuality. :doh:

That's a great Dali. My friend is a textile designer for Macy's in NYC, once working on their sweater lines and now in bedding. I keep telling him he can borrow my vintage tie collection and present an excellent idea to his superior regarding designing a line of vintage-inspired neckties. :D

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
Not a Dali, but a D'Lorah...

I can't find anything about these ties, only one other seems to exist on the internet. Any guesses on what this was meant to depict? Let's see... we've got a girl/woman, a torn scroll/page, some bugs, and what looks a bit like the Arc de Triomphe.

I was just about to hit the Submit Reply button when I thought... Alice in Wonderland??? Is that jagged orange bit at the top supposed to represent the hole Alice went through, and is the Arc de Triomphe thing actually The Danby Gateway from the Oxford Botanic Garden? And I know there's several bugs in the book. Alice has an interesting discussion with a Gnat.

P1070755.jpg P1070756.jpg P1070757.jpg

Not a Dali, but a D'Lorah...

I can't find anything about these ties, only one other seems to exist on the internet. Any guesses on what this was meant to depict? Let's see... we've got a girl/woman, a torn scroll/page, some bugs, and what looks a bit like the Arc de Triomphe.

I was just about to hit the Submit Reply button when I thought... Alice in Wonderland??? Is that jagged orange bit at the top supposed to represent the hole Alice went through, and is the Arc de Triomphe thing actually The Danby Gateway from the Oxford Botanic Garden? And I know there's several bugs in the book. Alice has an interesting discussion with a Gnat.

View attachment 14929 View attachment 14930 View attachment 14931

I think it is just an exercise in surrealism just as it is titled. Surrealism can be disjointed. :p

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
I think it is just an exercise in surrealism just as it is titled. Surrealism can be disjointed. :p

The other D'Lorah tie I found during a web search is also titled "Surrealism by D'Lorah" but has a completely different design. It's weird stuff, I was never a Dali fan when it came to his artwork but his ties are very interesting. [huh]

On a bit of a tangent, this same source had about a half-dozen interesting 40s/50s ties and all but this one had decades-old stains. I didn't get them but am considering going back since they were only a couple bucks each. Any laundering tricks to try or is it really dry clean only?

The other D'Lorah tie I found during a web search is also titled "Surrealism by D'Lorah" but has a completely different design. It's weird stuff, I was never a Dali fan when it came to his artwork but his ties are very interesting. [huh]

On a bit of a tangent, this same source had about a half-dozen interesting 40s/50s ties and all but this one had decades-old stains. I didn't get them but am considering going back since they were only a couple bucks each. Any laundering tricks to try or is it really dry clean only?

Hmmmm....That is a conundrum.
This is a topic for Widebrim. He knows everything about the care of ties.

Annixter

Practically Family

Gorgeous tie! I agree with JP about the imagery, and I'll also point out that the artist was probably trying to channel Dali. Dali often uses insects and barren trees in his work.

Regarding laundering vintage ties, I explain my processes and understanding of necktie laundering physics in post #8171. I do not recommend ever dry cleaning vintage ties. It doesn't get them clean, and I've seen some great ones (especially hand-painted) destroyed that way. PM me if you have any questions and I'd be happy to help. As JP suggests, Widebrim is also knowledgeable on the subject.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
Gorgeous tie! I agree with JP about the imagery, and I'll also point out that the artist was probably trying to channel Dali. Dali often uses insects and barren trees in his work.

Regarding laundering vintage ties, I explain my processes and understanding of necktie laundering physics in post #8171. I do not recommend ever dry cleaning vintage ties. It doesn't get them clean, and I've seen some great ones (especially hand-painted) destroyed that way. PM me if you have any questions and I'd be happy to help. As JP suggests, Widebrim is also knowledgeable on the subject.

Thanks for the compliment on the tie and the info on cleaning... I've heard original Dawn recommended before for vintage linens, too. So... air dry, and then any tricks for pressing a tie?

Annixter

Practically Family
Thanks for the compliment on the tie and the info on cleaning... I've heard original Dawn recommended before for vintage linens, too. So... air dry, and then any tricks for pressing a tie?

The general rule of pressing is to not press a sharp edge into the tie; you want the long edges rolled so that the tie has some body to it. You can find vintage tie irons on eBay, but I made a cardboard template that slides up in between the shell and the interfacing. I always use a pressing cloth to keep the fabric from burning/shining up. I also very lightly steam the tip area of the large end so as to not press in the hem lines.

All of this works well on resilient construction ties, but some cheaper ties that don't have good interfacing and stitching can become a huge issue when washing because the interfacing rolls up like wet paper and creates major twisting. If I can get away with it, I don't wash those kinds of ties that I suspect will become twisted. Unfortunately, sometimes I don't foresee this and end up spending an hour trying to tame the tie with an iron.:eusa_doh:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
How would one properly handle a washable tie? Does it mean machine washable? I own one by the company Trevira, and they are made of polyester. I've posted this picture before, but here it is again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany