Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

theinterchange

One Too Many
Went to a few thrift shops today and came back with these... all for under $5.

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

Left tie says "Rhodia Acetate Woven in France" middle just says "100% Acetate", and the third is a poly/silk blend "Brittany Bay"

The one on the far right grabbed me for whatever reason, so I bought it. Not vintage, but not new either.

Randy

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
4352046555_85d4e8f66e.jpg

"A Trio of new aquisitions, I'm very much taken with the grey one in the centre, its a rather heavy satin, the label reads.....

Riviera Cravats
"Autumn Leaf"
Designed in Paris​

Nice, Binkie. I particularly like the one on the left. Are there labels on that and the other one? And is it hard to find vintage ties in your part of Australia?

Annixter

Practically Family
John in Covina, I really like the one on the far right! The palm tree one is great too. Binkie, the blue and red tie on the far left is very handsome.

Annixter

Practically Family
I received four ties today. I broke Quigley Brown's cardinal rule of not buying ties on eBay, but these were too cool and too cheap to pass up. I continue to search local thrift shops, but I've bought out what I like so far. I'll have to venture into San Francisco for those hole-in-the-wall joints.

The Burgundy striped tie has a small burn hole in one of the white stripes, and there are a few small yellowed stains lower down. They are noticeable close up, but there's not much I can do about that.

The red tie with gray flowers has a very small tear in the front, midway up, but it isn't too noticeable, and doesn't appear to be running.

The other two are in excellent condition. The red and blue tie on the right in the second picture is my favorite out of the lot.

100_1046.jpg

100_1048.jpg

100_1049.jpg

100_1052.jpg

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Annixter said:
I received four ties today. I broke Quigley Brown's cardinal rule of not buying ties on eBay, but these were too cool and too cheap to pass up. I continue to search local thrift shops, but I've bought out what I like so far. I'll have to venture into San Francisco for those hole-in-the-wall joints.

I'll overlook it this time.... ;)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I picked up this NOS tie recently. I've never encountered a Palm Beach tie before, and am looking forward to wearing this one in the warmer months. It seems to be made of ... well, I'm not sure what (I'm not terribly fabric savvy). Cotton? Linen? Raw silk?

I'm guessing it's from the '30s, but I'd be pleased to have someone more expert than me chime in on both its age and the material of which it's made.

palmtie1.jpg
palmtie2.jpg
palmtie3.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I thrifted this today. Interesting looking (I can see it with a blue shirt) but is it anything special? [huh]

Usually "Acetate" is something I find on tags of vintage items but this has the length and proportions of a modern tie. Any ideas/info?...

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
The key question is: which era? Acetate ties just weren't around in the 1940s-early '50s. Later, yes.

True about the 1940s, Marc, but acetate ties made their appearance in the early-'50s. Below are some examples, all Haband, and all either 4" wide or just a shade under.
th_CCF02122010_00000.jpg
th_CCF02122010_00003.jpg
th_CCF02122010_00004.jpg
th_CCF02172010_00001.jpg
th_CCF02172010_00003.jpg

For some good examples of early-'50s hand-painted ties made of acetate and nylon, see Goldberg's book, "The Ties That Blind." -Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL