Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
True about the 1940s, Marc, but acetate ties made their appearance in the early-'50s. Below are some examples, all Haband, and all either 4" wide or just a shade under.
th_CCF02122010_00000.jpg
th_CCF02122010_00003.jpg
th_CCF02122010_00004.jpg
th_CCF02172010_00001.jpg
th_CCF02172010_00003.jpg

For some good examples of early-'50s hand-painted ties made of acetate and nylon, see Goldberg's book, "The Ties That Blind." -Lee

Another nylon and acetate tie:
ties054-1.jpg

ties055-1.jpg

Feraud said:
Yes. It's a mohair/cotton mix.. 53/47 I think.

See my updates to the Palm Beach suit thread. I finally did some detective work re: relevant dates for Palm Beach cloth. I suspect the formulation was altered after the merger of Goodall and Sanford in 1944.

I am running down an earlier version of the formulation. I just need to find the book it's in.

bk

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Is that a square-bottomed example I see there?...Anyway, here is one that is part of a thrift store score I made one week ago.
th_CCF00272010_00002.jpg
It is labeled, "YOU CAN'T TELL A BOOK BY ITS COVER," came from Bullock's, Los Angeles, and features books, shelves, and lamps. Measures 4" wide, and feels like rayon. I only wish it had Dali' written on the bottom of the front blade:rolleyes:.

Annixter

Practically Family
I had to make a flying trip down to the Visalia, California, area yesterday, and I figured while I was there I would stop in at some thrift shops. 3 of the 4 shops I had on my list were either out of business or closed on the weekend, but I found the Goodwill open for business; in Goodwill I found a pile of about 100 ties!

Half an hour later, I walked away with the only three vintage ties and a vibrant handkerchief for $2 a pop! One is a "Superba Cravatas Continental," one is a hand painted "Wilson" sold by Schelling's of Visalia, and the third is an Arrow. The Continental and Wilson are 4 inches wide, so I assume they are at least 1940's? The arrow is 3.5" wide, and it is the first vintage tie I've seen that doesn't have a sewn in backing--1950's or 60's? I haven't seen a whole lot of vintage ties, so I'm still lost on the age. It has a type of weaved material, of a burlap-type weave, under the folds on the back (see pic). The fabric weave is an interesting tuck-and-roll type, making all the herringbone patterns swell out. All three are in excellent condition with no stains or fabric damage, so the trip to Visalia ended very well with these.

100_1170.jpg

100_1176.jpg

100_1172.jpg

100_1173.jpg

100_1174.jpg

100_1178.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
Some nice ties! I really dig that Galet example. How wide is it? And is that writing that I detect on the front of the Arrow hand-painted (on the middle band of blue)?

The width is around 4 inches or so.

I thought that was writing too but it isn't, just a darker part of the design.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Annixter said:
I had to make a flying trip down to the Visalia, California, area yesterday, and I figured while I was there I would stop in at some thrift shops. 3 of the 4 shops I had on my list were either out of business or closed on the weekend, but I found the Goodwill open for business; in Goodwill I found a pile of about 100 ties!

Half an hour later, I walked away with the only three vintage ties and a vibrant handkerchief for $2 a pop! One is a "Superba Cravatas Continental," one is a hand painted "Wilson" sold by Schelling's of Visalia, and the third is an Arrow.
100_1170.jpg
I especially like these two. I'm a sucker for hand-painted California ties, and that Superba design is wild! Patience/diligence often pay off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL