Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

I cannot fathom why they think a tie needs to go past your waist.

A thread has a link to an article where the writer jokes that it points to one's 3 piece plumbing set as a sort of positive re-enforcement of masculinity.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
We'll see how this lot ends up coming out for me but 70 ties for $40 seems to work out ok for me. :D
Especially when I saw this picture:

$(KGrHqMOKjEE3HtNSbPTBNyB7EVNh!~~0_3.JPG

$(KGrHqIOKo8E24INBrHSBNyB6MbD+Q~~0_3.JPG

You've got some nice hand-painted ones there. Save the undesirables for me...

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Not all modern ties are the thick stuffed kind; if you look around you can find unstuffed ones. The problem is, they are usually made by really high end brands (read: expensive). Because of this, I usually end up paying more for boring modern ties I wear when disguised as a business man than amazing, rare vintage ties I wear for fun :-/

Last edited:

Slim Tim

New in Town
Here's one I picked up at an antique store:
tiefront.png

tieback.png

It's a bit busy for my tastes, but it is quite nice. :D

I'm not sure if this is the proper thread for it, but if you don't mind I would kind of like to show off some the designs I've drawn for my ideal tie. Let me know what you think!
tiedeco.png
tielocomotive.png

Actually, I think it would be very cool if other people would post some of their own designs. I usually find store bought ties to be a little dull so it would great to see other loungers can think of.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure if this is the proper thread for it, but if you don't mind I would kind of like to show off some the designs I've drawn for my ideal tie. Let me know what you think!
tiedeco.png
tielocomotive.png

Actually, I think it would be very cool if other people would post some of their own designs. I usually find store bought ties to be a little dull so it would great to see other loungers can think of.

I like both styles, especially since they're pleated! Very nice.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Not all modern ties are the thick stuffed kind; if you look around you can find unstuffed ones. The problem is, they are usually made by really high end brands (read: expensive). Because of this, I usually end up paying more for boring modern ties I wear when disguised as a business man than amazing, rare vintage ties I wear for fun :-/

True, although I actually found some Chinese-made (surprise...) neckties in the Dollar Store that were not thick. Even at Nordstrom's Rack, one can find some ties which don't contain a ton of material.

I've posted this before, but I thought that it looked good enough from yesterday to post again.

Photoon2011-05-26at1906.jpg

A closer look off the neck:
CCF05302009_00003.jpg

Van Heusen's Seven Wonders of the World Series, with this one featuring the Tomb of Mausolus; c.1947.

I want the sphinx and the hanging gardens ties from that series----if I ever find them. [huh]:eusa_doh:
I cleaned four of the ties I received from that big lot. I'll have to get some pictures of them. They were an absolute mess with stains on them. The guy must have smoked five packs a day too because they were all yellowed from it at the knot---not to mention stinky. The guy had expensive taste though. Many nice silks and brand names from way back when. A fair amount of Countess Mara, Pierre Cardin, Christian Dior and some others---unfortunately mostly from the 70s. :eusa_doh: I can certainly say that they are as thick as a blanket. :eusa_doh: The Brooks Brothers from a short time ago were fairly thin---but not as thin as a vintage tie. I have to give them some credit though. :D

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I want the sphinx and the hanging gardens ties from that series----if I ever find them. [huh]:eusa_doh:

The Brooks Brothers from a short time ago were fairly thin---but not as thin as a vintage tie. I have to give them some credit though. :D

The sphinx and hanging gardens ties would be solid to have...

I just came back from Sears, Roebuck, and Co., and just about all the Chinese-made ties were fairly thin in fabric.

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
I cleaned four of the ties I received from that big lot. I'll have to get some pictures of them. They were an absolute mess with stains on them. The guy must have smoked five packs a day too because they were all yellowed from it at the knot---not to mention stinky.
How do you go about cleaning your ties? I often come across interesting ties for sale that I pass on, because I have no idea how to safely clean them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails