Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
A nice one. I think it's a representation of the Camelot story? I also got another one from the same seller by the same maker and sold in the same store (no doubt bought at the same time) that features a Mermaid flanked by shells, and a Unicorn flanked by trees, continuing the mythology theme.

KingArthurTie1.jpg
KingArthurTie2.jpg

bk

Fascinating one, for sure. Regarding the wearer, though, people had to have come up and stared at his chest for a minute or so quite often...

flyfishark

Practically Family
I'm guessing this tie came out around the time of the movie, or the broadway play, "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, (1949 or 1953). Why else the "Gentlemen Prefer Blond Tone Ties?" The "eyeball" on the label is incredible...who the hell thinks these things up??
169q6gx.jpg

10o4so0.jpg

Tombrooks621

New in Town
most amazing thing i've ever seen

Hi everyone-

I posted these pics in the "General Attire" category, but I thought they might also belong in this "Show Us Your Ties" forum, as well.

A friend of mine is a collector of vintage 1940's American neckties. He sent the pics below (and others) of his collection to his friends and family last year. He's a nice chap and we talk often about all things "vintage". I've seen his collection once in person, and it is truly is a sight to behold...

Enjoy!

Collection1.jpg

Collection2.jpg

Espee

Practically Family
The 1940s radio comedian Henry Morgan made fun of the other radio comedians constantly trading on "local color" references such as "Hollywood and Vine," "Sunset and Vine" etc. Morgan gave himself huge canned audience laughter for a mention of the ultimate intersection, "Vine and Vine."

birkie

Familiar Face
Wasn't there a song or something about meeting at Hollywood and Vine Streets?

I was just there earlier this summer whilst attending a conference at UCLA. This being my first visit to Los Angeles, I decided to walk all the way from the university to a Metro station near Hollywood & Vine. I forgot to consider the fact that there might be nice vintage or consignment shops along the way, so probably passed up on some nice opportunities!

The other day, I stopped by a consignment shop by Syracuse University and picked up a handful of very nice '30s or '40s jacquard/brocade ties, which I shall post once I find my camera.

birkie

Familiar Face
You walked all the way from UCLA's Westwood campus to Hollywood near Vine? That's a huge distance! It take 30-40 minutes by car!

Yeah, it was fun too. I had a red-eye flight in the evening, my conference ended at noon, and I pack light. I figured it would also give me a chance to see Union Station before taking a shuttle to the airport

By the way, here are the ties I picked up a few days ago. There are tons more left at the shop for future trips, $5 a piece:

Dan'l

Practically Family
Nice finds Birkie. You need to take a handful of cash back to that shop a buy those "tons more" before they're gone.

The two middle ones in the top row are really nice looking from the photo. They're all nice but those two jumped out first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24