Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vehicles

What general era was your vehichle made:

• 30s or earlier

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • 40s

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • 50s

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • 60s

Votes: 52 21.6%
  • 70s-90s

Votes: 64 26.6%
  • New with classic features

Votes: 47 19.5%

• Total voters

p51

One Too Many
Won a trophy at a car show two weekends ago near my home. Not something a military vehicle gets at a general car show often...
44303272221_c5607b3e55_c.jpg

When I was growing up in the 60s the father of a friend who lived on our street had, as best I can remember, a '55 or '56 Chevy pickup. Bone stock, a little rough around the edges 'cause he often used it as a work truck, but mostly it was just his daily driver. My friend and I spent a lot of time riding around in the back of that truck, and as a result I've always liked those early to mid-50s Chevy and Ford pickups and their fat fenders.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
When I was growing up in the 60s the father of a friend who lived on our street had, as best I can remember, a '55 or '56 Chevy pickup. Bone stock, a little rough around the edges 'cause he often used it as a work truck, but mostly it was just his daily driver. My friend and I spent a lot of time riding around in the back of that truck, and as a result I've always liked those early to mid-50s Chevy and Ford pickups and their fat fenders.
The classic car show, Wheeler Dealers, picked up one in your State, it was scruffy but rust free. They brought it back to the UK, did a restoration on it, added some chrome bling and it came out looking like this:
chevy pick up.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
This weekend I refurbed and cleaned up the bug's front end wiring and began the fuel system cleanup, as well. Pulled the tank out just before I quit late this afternoon.

Replaced burnt wires, installed inline fuse where needed and a new light switch, modern signal flasher, and cleaned every connector.

Every light now works as intended.

Next weekend I'll clean out the tank, blow out the steel lines, and replace all the rubber (a couple of weekends ago I took the carb apart and cleaned and lubed it).

fuel tank out_20180930_165006_500x281.jpg

^ Been there, done that. That was one of the things I really liked about those early VWs--almost everything was bolted on or bolted together, so it was relatively easy to perform repairs and routine maintenance.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
45543866_328572247928321_2731005240638701568_n.jpg

Some time ago, my wife and I were discussing my '62 Ford Falcon that I hadn't been driving for reasons of economy. When I told her I wanted to sell it so it wouldn't slowly expire for lack of use, she surprised me and said "you should get a motorcycle--one of those old British ones." I'd long been interested in British bikes (my father had Triumphs, BSA's, and some Enfield Indians back in the 1960s and '70s) and was aware that the Royal Enfield Bullets had changed very little from when a factory was first established in Madras, India, in 1954-'55 up until recently. I also knew that used, late-model Enfields didn't go for huge money, so I set out to look for one.

This is the culmination of that search: A 2008 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 ES Chrome--the very last of the old iron-barrel Royal Enfields. It needs a bit of tweaking before it sees the road, but it is an outstanding bike already set up with an Amal carburetor and electronic ignition and having received excellent care by its previous (first and only) owner before being parked 2 or 3 years ago in favor of newer Royal Enfields. Plans are to backdate it as much as possible for a '30s-'50s vibe. I'm not planning on going so far as a girder fork and rigid frame, at least at first, but will be sort of going for a "what if" '30s vibe retaining the swing arm and telescopic forks--taking inspiration from pre-war BMW's as much as the 1936 Royal Enfield Bullet 500:

p-18587-1936_Royal_Enfield_Bullet_136_1_L_Side.jpg

1938 BMW R71.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The Chinese owners (SAIC) of MG held a design challenge for the auto industry students, from around the world.
Jointly launched at Coventry University, United Kingdom and Tsinghua University in Beijing, China, on the 24th of March, the SAIC Design Challenge received more than 400 submissions from over 100 prestigious universities and design institutes from across the world.
Trym Abrahamsen from Strate Ecole de Design in France was awarded the winner in the European entry category. To view more of Trym’s design work follow him on Instagram -@abrahamsen_design:
Remember, it's only a mock up, any thoughts?
mg mock up.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
He played with Hot Wheels a lot as a child.
A most apt description, couldn't have worded it better.
"Unsightly" and "impractical" come to mind, but I'm not part of the "16- to 25-year-old rich kid" crowd that a car like that would likely be built for and marketed to.
So true, but I wonder, did the generation of the 40's think the same about the iconic E-Type Jaguar?
My first thoughts on seeing the front end. If you look at the back of a commercial truck you will see rubber stoppers either side of the vehicle. They allow the driver to reverse onto a loading platform without causing damage. That car looks like it's got reversing bumpers on the front end. Ugh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana