Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vehicles

What general era was your vehichle made:

• 30s or earlier

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • 40s

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • 50s

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • 60s

Votes: 52 21.6%
  • 70s-90s

Votes: 64 26.6%
  • New with classic features

Votes: 47 19.5%

• Total voters
...So true, but I wonder, did the generation of the 40's think the same about the iconic E-Type Jaguar?
Probably, but the E-Type was beautiful in it's relatively simple aerodynamic design.

...My first thoughts on seeing the front end. If you look at the back of a commercial truck you will see rubber stoppers either side of the vehicle. They allow the driver to reverse onto a loading platform without causing damage. That car looks like it's got reversing bumpers on the front end. Ugh!
I'd guess that lower spoiler/scoop provides down force at higher speeds to provide better traction for the front tires, but I'm not sure what those vertical rectangular openings are. Assuming it isn't electric, they might be air intakes to help keep the engine cool?

Gimme a Karmann Ghia every time.
Seconded.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Gimme a Karmann Ghia every time.
Personally, I would prefer something from your side of the pond:
duesenberg.jpg

J.R. Kerr

New in Town
I have 350,000+ miles on my 1969 chevelle malibu 4 door post 307 DC block now displacing 327 cubic inches with 400 ft lbs torque. Everyone who doesnt like it shows me picture of somethin they used to own. That never gets old.

The lady drives a 1968 plymouth fury III every day, and we replaced the ragtop with a raptor lining (you can kinda tell if you look real close there aint no seam).

I have a dodge warlock project that got stalled. I'll get back to it one of these days. That monstrous thing has an A834 manual, a Dana 4.55 and I can't even use first gear. Just spins the tires. I have to come off red lights in second.
mpc_warlock_3.png various_038.jpg shed_12_14.jpg

One of my college roommates drove a Fury III. It was a boat and a half that was surprisingly fast on the top end. Fun it was to pass Mustangs and Camaros once it got wound up.
When I was a yute my dad drove a fourth-generation (1965-68) Plymouth Fury III station wagon; white with dark red interior. I loved that car but, because I was too young, I never got a chance to drive it before it's premature demise. :( Dad was a dedicated Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth man, and I can't recall ever seeing him own or drive anything else.

Except for dad's station wagon I didn't really care for anything from the Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth family when I was younger--too "blocky" and "square" (the shapes, that is) for my tastes. When I met my wife she owned a two-door 1976 Plymouth Volare with a 225 cu in Slant-Six under the hood and, although it wasn't a bad car, it didn't do much to change my opinion. But as I've grown older my tastes have changed, and these days I've really come to appreciate the classic lines of the 1960-70s "Allpar" cars.

William G.

One of the Regulars
These are the two cars my dad restored from junkyard wrecks:

kgvew1z.jpg

The blue one is all-original, the '57 has a later model engine and transmission but is otherwise original. They both have drum brakes, bias-ply tires, vacuum windshield wipers, etc.

This is my daily driver. It's a '99 Silverado I bought a few years ago, when my back was in such bad shape I couldn't get in and out of a car anymore. It was an old farm truck with low miles but a lot of evidence of a hard life. Smoothest ride I've ever experienced, and it has leather heated seats with all the adjustments. I absolutely love this thing.

vd5uuKw.jpg

I also still have the car I drove before my back went out, a 2000 Monte Carlo SS. I'm finally able to get in and out of the car after several years of physical therapy.

AxAIgYJ.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
These are the two cars my dad restored from junkyard wrecks:

kgvew1z.jpg

The blue one is all-original, the '57 has a later model engine and transmission but is otherwise original. They both have drum brakes, bias-ply tires, vacuum windshield wipers, etc.

This is my daily driver. It's a '99 Silverado I bought a few years ago, when my back was in such bad shape I couldn't get in and out of a car anymore. It was an old farm truck with low miles but a lot of evidence of a hard life. Smoothest ride I've ever experienced, and it has leather heated seats with all the adjustments. I absolutely love this thing.

vd5uuKw.jpg

I also still have the car I drove before my back went out, a 2000 Monte Carlo SS. I'm finally able to get in and out of the car after several years of physical therapy.

AxAIgYJ.jpg

The Chevys, of course, are t*ts.

I had an '03 Monte SS, purchased new. Loved it, but it was at dealer service 5 times over almost 2 years because the car would lock me out with the key in the ignition, which it wasn't supposed to do. They couldn't, or wouldn't, find and fix the problem, so I finally traded it in in '05 for a MINI Cooper.

We had three Chevys in that general time frame, and two much earlier on, but haven't owned any since.

William G.

One of the Regulars
The Chevys, of course, are t*ts.

I had an '03 Monte SS, purchased new. Loved it, but it was at dealer service 5 times over almost 2 years because the car would lock me out with the key in the ignition, which it wasn't supposed to do. They couldn't, or wouldn't, find and fix the problem, so I finally traded it in in '05 for a MINI Cooper.

We had three Chevys in that general time frame, and two much earlier on, but haven't owned any since.

My Monte Carlo has refused to start twice, both times it fired right up after waiting 20 minutes. I had already called a tow truck the first time it happened and the guy waited 15 minutes, called me back, and asked to try and start the car before he came out to get it — it started right up. At least he saved me the cost of a tow, though. It's a very annoying problem.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My Monte Carlo has refused to start twice, both times it fired right up after waiting 20 minutes. I had already called a tow truck the first time it happened and the guy waited 15 minutes, called me back, and asked to try and start the car before he came out to get it — it started right up. At least he saved me the cost of a tow, though. It's a very annoying problem.
That's a classic sympton of flooding. Does the car have a choke cable? A choke cable chokes off the air going into the carburettor, giving the cold engine a rich mixture to help it start. There are times when it's not needed and the rich mixture floods the carbuettor causing starting problems. Leaving it for 15 minutes or so allows the fuel to drain out.

Try starting the engine without choke, then if the engine fires, pull out the choke cable for just a few seconds. If that's not a help then it might mean a new needle in the carburettor. There are companies that can help with that.

William G.

One of the Regulars
That's a classic sympton of flooding. Does the car have a choke cable? A choke cable chokes off the air going into the carburettor, giving the cold engine a rich mixture to help it start. There are times when it's not needed and the rich mixture floods the carbuettor causing starting problems. Leaving it for 15 minutes or so allows the fuel to drain out.

Try starting the engine without choke, then if the engine fires, pull out the choke cable for just a few seconds. If that's not a help then it might mean a new needle in the carburettor. There are companies that can help with that.

On my Monte Carlo, it's the Passlock theft deterrent system — an electronic problem. The car thinks it's being started without a key and the theft deterrent system freaks out. When the theft deterrent system freaks out, won't let the starter or the fuel pump work. After the car has sat for a while, everything resets itself and the car will start again.

3fingers

One Too Many
I had a 1978 GMC pickup that if it was shut off while hot would occasionally refuse to crank until it sat for a few minutes. Turn the key and nothing happened. Wait a few minutes and it would start normally. Nobody could ever find the reason for it. I learned after one experience to never shut it off at railroad crossings, etc.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
On my Monte Carlo, it's the Passlock theft deterrent system — an electronic problem. The car thinks it's being started without a key and the theft deterrent system freaks out. When the theft deterrent system freaks out, won't let the starter or the fuel pump work. After the car has sat for a while, everything resets itself and the car will start again.

And Chevys of that generation are all fuel injected, anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112