Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vehicles

What general era was your vehichle made:

• 30s or earlier

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • 40s

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • 50s

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • 60s

Votes: 52 21.6%
  • 70s-90s

Votes: 64 26.6%
  • New with classic features

Votes: 47 19.5%

• Total voters

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful Chrysler Vitanola, and I do agree, many pre-war cars on our side of the pond have fallen in price. This Morris 8 for example, it's value has dropped by about 25%.
Morris 002.JPG Morris 003.JPG

Over on The Green Machine thread, deadlyhandsome posted some photos of a magnificent hat called a Riley. I had to send a link to a very good friend of mine. He too has a Riley, now having seen the link, he's on a mission. Here's his Riley.
riley-rm-1.jpg riley-rm-2.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The internet is full of surprises, an estate car, in Brit-speak means an extended version with a tail gate, or rear hatch style door. Searching for such a car I came across a Rolls Royce version, like this:
Rolls estate.jpg
It was probably made this way after it had left the factory, the licence plate gives a clue. It's called a cherished plate, chances are that LB were the initials of the owner. A search failed to find any mention of LB on a Rolls Royce, but it did find, and this was the surprise, a 1928 Rolls Royce Phantom, woodie conversion. Do I like it? The jury is still out.
rolls woody1.jpg rolls woody.jpg

N2S3

New in Town
Morgan +8
I've sold my '77 Ford F150 with some gain of money and bought a new old car.
This Morgan is 30 yrs old, pretty much the same car as it was since the 50ies.
But it is propelled by a 190bhp Rover V8 with impressive performance. The car weighs under 1800lbs, the gas consumption is about 21mpg, less then half of the F150 which performs only 9.5 mpg.
Avoiding rain (to prevent rust) this car is used without the Hood and without the sidescreens always open. So there is Wind and the temperatures sometimes are low in my area (0°-6° C = 32°-43° F). Wearing a cap is compulsory, needless to say that. I wear a Harris Tweed cap most of the time.

Not a showcar, it is smooth on smooth surfaces, but brutally hard if there are bumps, potholes or dents in the surface. And there are no steering assistance or any comfort devices. But the car is pure fun.

Best regards from Germany
Gerhard

Attachments

• Morgan05.jpg
    Morgan05.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 206
Morgan +8
I've sold my '77 Ford F150 with some gain of money and bought a new old car...Not a showcar, it is smooth on smooth surfaces, but brutally hard if there are bumps, potholes or dents in the surface. And there are no steering assistance or any comfort devices. But the car is pure fun.

Gerhard
A classic design that never goes out of style, and that wonderful Racing Green that's subdued enough to keep the car from looking too "flashy". Beautiful!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Morgan +8
I've sold my '77 Ford F150 with some gain of money and bought a new old car.
This Morgan is 30 yrs old, pretty much the same car as it was since the 50ies.
But it is propelled by a 190bhp Rover V8 with impressive performance. The car weighs under 1800lbs, the gas consumption is about 21mpg, less then half of the F150 which performs only 9.5 mpg.
Avoiding rain (to prevent rust) this car is used without the Hood and without the sidescreens always open. So there is Wind and the temperatures sometimes are low in my area (0°-6° C = 32°-43° F). Wearing a cap is compulsory, needless to say that. I wear a Harris Tweed cap most of the time.

Not a showcar, it is smooth on smooth surfaces, but brutally hard if there are bumps, potholes or dents in the surface. And there are no steering assistance or any comfort devices. But the car is pure fun.

Gerhard
Morgan05.jpg

There was a time when motor cars
were serious fun to drive,
back then they didn't have seat belts,
which help you stay alive.

They had quirky things like
running boards and trafficators too,
those were little semaphore arms
that gave the direction true.

This motor here, is just like that
in a green like, racy colour,
a Morgan of classic vintage,
a real beauty to discover.

There's nothing more that she prefers
than to show off in the shining sun,
and be photographed by one and all:
she smiles for everyone.

This classic car has survived the years
and not been torn asunder,
not for her, the breaker's yard,
her body parts to plunder.

Despite her years she's greatly loved,
her lines to be admired,
and she can still put on a turn of speed
to get the adrenaline fired.

Out on the highway she likes to go
and keep up with the traffic.
But serious problems can arise,
when all the cars are static.

The water in her engine boils
and out the steam comes hissing,
she doesn't have a temperature fan
but it's not exactly missing.

It simply wasn't ever there
like modern cars today,
there's so much missing with vintage cars,
it's the price you have to pay.

But for all her lack of equipment
and of modern technology,
there's something intangible this car has,
Although it's not plain to see.

It's that distinct smell of old car,
of walnut and of leather,
a fragrance that's so captivating,
it doesn't get much better.

Then there's her style & grace & beauty
and class in overload,
but her greatest asset is the fun you can have,
that comes by the bucketload.

With apologies to Jessica, my vintage MG, for re-hashing her personal tribute.
j-o-q.jpg

p51

One Too Many
I took my 1944 MB to the local 4th of July parade yesterday.
53024029200_d24d0d7a31_z.jpg

It's the nearest vehicle to the camera. First time it'd left the town I live in since before the pandemic started. It was SO nice to drive it more than a mile or so.
That said, I had quite a scare about a mile from the house, I heard a loud bang against sheet metal followed by a 'ting ting ting' of metal bouncing off pavement. I pulled over, looked underneath and saw nothing missing or broken.
Thoroughly worried, I doubled back drove along the side of the road looking for any part of my Jeep which might have left it. All I found was an allen wrench lying about where I heard the tinging sound. I could only deduce that I'd driven over something metal, maybe that allen wrench, and that's what I'd heard. I made it to the parade, and back, about 30 miles total with nothing abnormal for a long drive in very hot weather.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Last Sunday saw us at one of the MG Car Club's popular summertime meets.
athelhampton.jpg
Athelhampton House in Dorset. We arrived about two hours late due to some serious drama on route.

Athelhampton 001.JPG
Told you it was serious! But we got it fixed and the rest of the day went rather well, so glad we didn't give up and go home.
Athelhampton 003.JPG

Here's the lady enjoying a hot drink, nothing like a hot drink to bring the stress levels down.

Athelhampton 002.JPG
A magnificent MG TD. Our car shares about 85% of it's DNA with this model.

Athelhampton 004.JPG
A pre-war MG VA but I could be wrong. No matter, it is beautifully restored.

Athelhampton 005.JPG
One or two guest cars were there by invitation. This Jaguar certainly drew lots of admiring glances.

Athelhampton 006.JPG

But the day belonged to the MG marque and there was no shortage of them.

It was at Tina's request thatI wore this blazer that day. It doesn't have a cloth, sew-on MG pocket badge, but it still got photographed more times than I can remember.
Burgundy blazer 001.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch