Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage hats!

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
No, my lovely blonde friend, that avatar is decidedly NOT creepy. Not compared to the last one! And I like your green and white gingham dress idea for that hat-it would be cute as all heck!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I found many a cute red gingham but no green unless I start wearing little girl sizes by tomorrow. [huh]

I'll keep an eye out in the near future. I'm on another shopping diet. :eek:

here are 4 i've got up for sale in the classifieds right now. I know nothing about them. Some info would be appreciated. All are French.

cheers,
bk

bk said:
Era unknown. I'm thinking teens-20s. Please correct me if you know better.

1 straw, one very odd-looking, no idea what to call it (women's hats not within my vintage knowledge-base), 2 open backed or open fronted?. All are about the same size - approx 21.5 - though the open front/back ones will fit a number of head sizes.

WomensHats1.jpg

This is the first open fronted/backed one. I have no idea whether the open end is worn forwards or backwards . . .

Dark blue velvet base topped by a satin-type crown with lace detailing and a red velvet bow with this abomination of a french fry like collection on the back. Not nearly so dirty as it appears in the first pic.

WomensHats2.jpg

WomensHats3.jpg

The second open fronted/backed number. Very simple; black velvet base with black lace detailing on the crown.

WomensHats4.jpg

The straw (though it feels like fake straw . . . maybe it's real, who knows?) needs a good steam to reshape it.

WomensHats5.jpg

WomensHats6.jpg

WomensHats7.jpg

And then this thing. is this a cloche hat? Colours are accurate.

WomensHats8.jpg

WomensHats9.jpg

I've no idea what these things are worth. Someone tell me what i should charge for them!

bk

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
here are 4 i've got up for sale in the classifieds right now. I know nothing about them. Some info would be appreciated. All are French.

cheers,
bk

bk

BK - Those all look to be pre-1920s hats. I don't know much about dating hats from earlier periods, but I think they are 1900s or perhaps late 1800s. The one that you said feels like fake straw looks to me like it may be horsehair. Any thoughts ladies?

dancesofvice

One of the Regulars
Here's one of my favorite hats. It's very old and fragile, so I don't wear it out, often. Sadly, the lace has quite a few tears in it, now. I think it may be from the Edwardian era.

336947060_l.jpg
526809431_f89ad45569.jpg

This is another favorite of mine, from the 1930s. It's so elegant, but simple enough for daily wear:

1245571592_e93a946b1d.jpg
1244712387_cd778e16ab.jpg

The first image is an outtake from the series of pictures to show more of the hat.

I have dozens of vintage hats.. I should wear them more often!

texasgirl

One Too Many
I just redid this hat. It was in pretty sad shape when I got it. One of the guys gave me the hint to iron it- and it worked like a dream to get the wrinkles and dust out.

Here's the original, it has the NRA label so it's from 1933-1935- perfect for my depression-era reenacting.
IMG_1670.jpg
IMG_1674.jpg

Here's the result- I think it looks pretty cute! Now I just need a navy outfit :)

IMG_1757.jpg
IMG_1759.jpg

Josephine

One Too Many
texasgirl said:
I just redid this hat. It was in pretty sad shape when I got it. One of the guys gave me the hint to iron it- and it worked like a dream to get the wrinkles and dust out.

Ironing! That's neat. ::eyes hat I have:: It looks great. :)

zaika

One Too Many
my grandmother gave me a couple of hats and i was so excited to share! i never knew that she had all this cool stuff, and she was really glad to give them to me. yay! i don't look presentable at all...so...sorry!

not sure what the vintage is on the blue one, and my grandma didn't know as it belonged to her mother in law...but it's my favorite!! and the last one...i love it a lot, but the veil is completely shredded. do you suppose it's easy to replace?

DSC05245.jpg

DSC05248.jpg

DSC05234.jpg

DSC05237.jpg

DSC05253.jpg

DSC05252.jpg

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I love hats. I'm not sure if I can pull them off but I have been buying them just the same.

I made this one. It's insane so I don't wear it in public.
Picture774.jpg

Picture689.jpg

I made this one for a friend last Christmas
Picture686.jpg

I have some nice ones but no pictures I'm afraid.

zaika

One Too Many
deadpandiva said:
I love hats. I'm not sure if I can pull them off but I have been buying them just the same.

I made this one. It's insane so I don't wear it in public.
Picture774.jpg

um...diva? let me be frank with you....you HAVE to wear that one in public. it's spectacular and you look FABULOUS!!!
how did you make it? i want one.... :D lol

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
zaika said:
um...diva? let me be frank with you....you HAVE to wear that one in public. it's spectacular and you look FABULOUS!!!
how did you make it? i want one.... :D lol
It from felt. 100% wool I think. I actually made a pattern for this one. Sometimes I don't. I think the bow is just a little crazy, which is what I wanted but then I got self Conscious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points